• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New member in LA (originally from NY)

dankafm869

Booting up
Skier
Hey everyone! Stoked to have finally joined the forums after browsing in silence for a while.

I grew up skiing in New York State with my home mountains being Hunter (yep, that Huntahhhh), Belleayre, and Windham + to an extent Vermont ski resorts such as Okemo, Stratton, Stowe, etc… My Dad, who is my lifelong skiing partner and teacher since the age of 3, have skied together throughout the US and most frequently have taken trips to SLC, where he now lives since last year (lucky man!).

In 2018, I moved to LA to pursue a career in audio engineering and music production after spending 4 years studying at Berklee College of Music. Nowadays, I most often hit the slopes of SoCal with Mt. Baldy being a favorite although the one day I made it to Mt. Waterman last season was my favorite day in SoCal yet. Mammoth and Squaw are also favorite places when I can get up there.

My fiancée is also an avid snowboarder and can absolutely shred for someone who has only been doing it for 2 seasons. Hope to see you all out there this season!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice to meet you...

I moved to the LA area from the Ice Coast 2 years ago.

I wished there was something like a Mt. Peter over in SoCal... free lessons with weekend/holiday lift ticket

I know a lot of people that learned to ski in Campgaw.

I took lessons at Mountain Creek (before they ruined it by turning South Peak into the terrain park, and had the awfully slow chair back to granite) for snowboarding.

Nothing like being at the top of Hunter where it's high winds plus icy conditions.

I do miss Killington's Great Eastern Trails.... never mind it's a green trail, it's a long trail, which I loved.

TS
D

dankafm869

Booting up
Skier
Nice to meet you...

I moved to the LA area from the Ice Coast 2 years ago.

I wished there was something like a Mt. Peter over in SoCal... free lessons with weekend/holiday lift ticket

I know a lot of people that learned to ski in Campgaw.

I took lessons at Mountain Creek (before they ruined it by turning South Peak into the terrain park, and had the awfully slow chair back to granite) for snowboarding.

Nothing like being at the top of Hunter where it's high winds plus icy conditions.

I do miss Killington's Great Eastern Trails.... never mind it's a green trail, it's a long trail, which I loved.
Nice! I spent many nights after school at Mt. Peter (and Tuxedo Ridge) since they were close to home. Mt. Peter was pretty fun for must be 200 vertical feet at best.

The best value I've found in LA is skiing Mt. Baldy mid-week. I've gotten a lift ticket for $17 buying a couple of weeks in advance and I've seen lesson packages for cheap too. That place has a really cool old-school vibe with a lot of steep stuff. Some of the off-piste stuff rivals steeps at Mammoth imo.

I actually ski raced for a year at Campgaw (my only year ski racing). Ended up taking a really bad fall due to my ski getting caught in a gate and was out for the rest of that season.

Ahh, good old Mountain Creek. That place was a logistical nightmare. Pure ice most days. They totally ruined South by making it all a terrain park. Fortunately, Bear Peak and Granite Peak were spared. Used to love Pipeline until they decided not to make it a trail anymore. And who could forget 20+ minute long rides on the Sojourn Double at night.

I remember skiing Belt Parkway at Hunter as a kid and literally being blown back uphill on that first section where White Cloud starts. Good times.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome! Based on your username, I assumed you must mostly shred Mountain High, since it's such a good fit for the vibe there. Back when I lived in San Diego and skied there, my random chairmates were always offering to share. Of course, those seasons buying lift tickets at Mt. Baldy two weeks in advance was a complete sucker's bet, since they barely got any terrain open, just to close it again.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Welcome, happy to have relocated North Easterner to the community. I am still here in NJ but ski manly PA and NY with occasionally making it up to VT or NH. There is a lot to learn here so enjoy.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome. I grew up in Montreal and also learned to ski on the ice coast - specifically the Laurentians and Vermont. I have lived in sunny San Diego since 1978, but relocated to Big Bear a couple of years ago. We ski Big Bear, Mammoth, and when we are lucky enough to have time - Squalpine. We have a good local crew. Hope to take some turns with you this season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember skiing Belt Parkway at Hunter as a kid and literally being blown back uphill on that first section where White Cloud starts. Good times.
For me it was Hell-Eis-Quad. Hellgate to Eisenhower to the Quad. I didn't ski Belt Parkway, I didn't have a concealed weapon permit.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice! I spent many nights after school at Mt. Peter (and Tuxedo Ridge) since they were close to home. Mt. Peter was pretty fun for must be 200 vertical feet at best.

The best value I've found in LA is skiing Mt. Baldy mid-week. I've gotten a lift ticket for $17 buying a couple of weeks in advance and I've seen lesson packages for cheap too. That place has a really cool old-school vibe with a lot of steep stuff. Some of the off-piste stuff rivals steeps at Mammoth imo.

I actually ski raced for a year at Campgaw (my only year ski racing). Ended up taking a really bad fall due to my ski getting caught in a gate and was out for the rest of that season.

Ahh, good old Mountain Creek. That place was a logistical nightmare. Pure ice most days. They totally ruined South by making it all a terrain park. Fortunately, Bear Peak and Granite Peak were spared. Used to love Pipeline until they decided not to make it a trail anymore. And who could forget 20+ minute long rides on the Sojourn Double at night.

Some of the older patrollers at Creek called the Terrain Park "the vegetable garden", and ambulances to Newtown Memorial hospital was a frequent sight, until they added a satellite location by Creek. I loved riding on South Peak until they ruined it.

Pipeline was dangerously fun, when it was open.

Southern Sojourn trail, I've only made it across once without coming to a halt, by the pond.. it was an extra icy day.

I always hated the Gondola because: 1) as a snowboarder, had to take everything off, then walk down to the trail to strap in 2) I'm lazy, and I prefer sitting, and preferred the triple chairs, even if it was extremely slow.

I remembered the 4x$250 deal for season tickets... it was easy with co-workers that skied and snowboarded, since we usually met up after work for night skiing.

Too bad I never went to its neighbor, Hidden Valley... I don't want to drive on Breakneck Road when it's covered in snow. It was bad enough living in Vernon.

TS
D

dankafm869

Booting up
Skier
Welcome. I grew up in Montreal and also learned to ski on the ice coast - specifically the Laurentians and Vermont. I have lived in sunny San Diego since 1978, but relocated to Big Bear a couple of years ago. We ski Big Bear, Mammoth, and when we are lucky enough to have time - Squalpine. We have a good local crew. Hope to take some turns with you this season.
Cheers! Living in Big Bear must be pretty great aside from the weekend/holiday traffic perhaps. Beautiful area.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cheers! Living in Big Bear must be pretty great aside from the weekend/holiday traffic perhaps. Beautiful area.
You also get the morons that clog traffic by now chaining up when called for.

TS
D

dankafm869

Booting up
Skier
Some of the older patrollers at Creek called the Terrain Park "the vegetable garden", and ambulances to Newtown Memorial hospital was a frequent sight, until they added a satellite location by Creek. I loved riding on South Peak until they ruined it.

Pipeline was dangerously fun, when it was open.

Southern Sojourn trail, I've only made it across once without coming to a halt, by the pond.. it was an extra icy day.

I always hated the Gondola because: 1) as a snowboarder, had to take everything off, then walk down to the trail to strap in 2) I'm lazy, and I prefer sitting, and preferred the triple chairs, even if it was extremely slow.

I remembered the 4x$250 deal for season tickets... it was easy with co-workers that skied and snowboarded, since we usually met up after work for night skiing.

Too bad I never went to its neighbor, Hidden Valley... I don't want to drive on Breakneck Road when it's covered in snow. It was bad enough living in Vernon.
Hidden Valley was a pretty fun place and a nice alternative to Mountain Creek. Last I heard they tried to revive it but it's still out of business. Some of the trails had pretty decent pitch.

The main face of the resort was served by the slowest triple chair I've ever skied to date and the snowmaking was pretty spotty. That said, the resort had a special old-school vibe about it and I loved night skiing there. You can tell that they had a tough time completing with Mountain Creek and indeed that is a tall order.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For me it was Hell-Eis-Quad. Hellgate to Eisenhower to the Quad. I didn't ski Belt Parkway, I didn't have a concealed weapon permit.
The Cliff was always better than Hellgate. The only reason to get on Belt Parkway is to get to the trail Way Out that takes you to the West Side. Now it also takes you to the new trails that they opened a couple of years ago.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Howdy & welcome @dankafm869! I too moved from the ice coast to socal 2 years ago & I’ll be at Baldy snaking through the trees & bowls, hopefully pretty often this year. Depending on the situation we may head to bear & mammoth this season, but that’s still TBD for this year. See you out there!

Edit: you may find it helpful to “watch” the socal discussion page, if you don’t already, to see who’s skiing when, updates on conditions, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online