• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Member in Reno

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Hello! New to SkiTalk, just wanted to introduce myself.

Born and raised in Texas, skied for the first time after moving to PA after college. Skied for 6 years in and around the Poconos, Blue mountain, Elk Mountain, Camelback, etc. Moved back to Texas for 6 years, and went through withdrawals except for a single day skied at Lee Canyon while visiting the wife's family in Vegas. Moved to Reno in the summer of 2019, and finally got back to ski country! Skied Donner Ski Ranch in February of 19 while on a pre-move scouting trip, skied Rose, Boreal and Donner Ski Ranch a handful of times during the abbreviated 2020 ski season, and finally got serious about it this year. The kids and I have passes at Boreal for the sweet weeknight turns, and just recently got the double down pass to Rose. So far the kids and I have logged 25 nights and 3 days at Boreal, a day at Rose and a day at Alpine Meadows during the 20/21 season.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring more of what the Sierras have to offer!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to SkiTalk! Sounds like this thread would be a good hangout:

I'll be heading out to Tahoe my self in about a month for some late season (for me anyway) turns!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reno, the Poconos of the west. ogwink
Ouch.

Where in Reno are ya? There are a few members scattered in the Washoe Valley here. We Rose and also have an Ikon pass.

TS
B

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Ouch.

Where in Reno are ya? There are a few members scattered in the Washoe Valley here. We Rose and also have an Ikon pass.

Hey, the Poconos are a beautiful part of the country, and the skiing is way better there than in Texas!

We’re in north west Reno, west of UNR. I want to do either the icon or epic next year, still trying to decide which one is the better value and better for learning kids. I’ll probably keep the Boreal passes again for the week night skiing. We have 4 kiddos, 14, 13, 7 & 4. I spent this year working with the 7 year old, and she has really picked it up well. I plan to spend next year working with the 4 year old.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That was just a joke to make sure @Philpug and @Andy Mink were awake. They are very familiar with the Poconos...and Reno, lucky for you if you can find a way to ski with them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was just a joke to make sure @Philpug and @Andy Mink were awake. They are very familiar with the Poconos...and Reno, lucky for you if you can find a way to ski with them.
Are your kids going to McQueen or are you not that far west? Where in the Poconos were you?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello! New to SkiTalk, just wanted to introduce myself.

Born and raised in Texas, skied for the first time after moving to PA after college. Skied for 6 years in and around the Poconos, Blue mountain, Elk Mountain, Camelback, etc. Moved back to Texas for 6 years, and went through withdrawals except for a single day skied at Lee Canyon while visiting the wife's family in Vegas. Moved to Reno in the summer of 2019, and finally got back to ski country! Skied Donner Ski Ranch in February of 19 while on a pre-move scouting trip, skied Rose, Boreal and Donner Ski Ranch a handful of times during the abbreviated 2020 ski season, and finally got serious about it this year. The kids and I have passes at Boreal for the sweet weeknight turns, and just recently got the double down pass to Rose. So far the kids and I have logged 25 nights and 3 days at Boreal, a day at Rose and a day at Alpine Meadows during the 20/21 season.

Looking forward to getting out and exploring more of what the Sierras have to offer!
Welcome, another former Texan here from Amarillo, Dallas, then Houston areas. Left for grad school and ended up working in the DE/PA area. I learned to ski at Jack Frost and Blue, and visited Elk at few times, but now am retired and ski at Killington. Don't think our paths will cross unless there is a Gathering we both attend!

TS
B

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Are your kids going to McQueen or are you not that far west? Where in the Poconos were you?

My kids are zoned for Clayton / Reno High.

We lived in Pottsville, PA, home of Yuengling beer. (Not to be confused with Pottstown, PA, much more cosmopolitan) Not quite IN the Poconos, but right on the border.

TS
B

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Welcome, another former Texan here from Amarillo, Dallas, then Houston areas. Left for grad school and ended up working in the DE/PA area. I learned to ski at Jack Frost and Blue, and visited Elk at few times, but now am retired and ski at Killington. Don't think our paths will cross unless there is a Gathering we both attend!

Smallish world, I have family in Lubbock, lived in Houston for 6 years, and I left it out in my original intro, but I did make it up to Killington twice while I lived in PA. I do wish I had crossed off a few more VT / upstate NY spots while I was there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My kids are zoned for Clayton / Reno High.

We lived in Pottsville, PA, home of Yuengling beer. (Not to be confused with Pottstown, PA, much more cosmopolitan) Not quite IN the Poconos, but right on the border.
Rumor is we will see Yuengling out here soon. We have to suffice with Rolling Rock until then. Pottstown cosmopolitan??? I have been out of the area for a bit more than a decade but Pottstown was ever referred to as cosmopolitan...but again you are comparing it to Pottsville LOL.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We met a fellow at Sunday River that was sneaking cans of Yuengling into the resort hotel bar to pour in his glass because he didn't like what they had on tap!

TS
B

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
Rumor is we will see Yuengling out here soon. We have to suffice with Rolling Rock until then. Pottstown cosmopolitan??? I have been out of the area for a bit more than a decade but Pottstown was ever referred to as cosmopolitan...but again you are comparing it to Pottsville LOL.

I mean that strictly in comparison to Pottsville, and in the most Doc Holliday / Tombstone way possible.

I have heard about this Coors / Yuengling collaboration. I really hope the Yuengling family didn’t sell out, such an iconic family business.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeungling made ice cream when the company ceased beer production during Prohibition. Don't know if it's still available (haven't seen it in northern NJ in several years), but it was pretty good - especially the coffee with fudge swirl.

TS
B

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
I hope they get the price point right if/when the bring Yuengling out west. If its the same price is Bud/Miller, I would pick Yuengling every single time. If they are trying to charge craft beer prices for it, forget about it. I might buy it once or twice for the nostalgia, but no way is it your everyday beer at that price.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope they get the price point right if/when the bring Yuengling out west. If its the same price is Bud/Miller, I would pick Yuengling every single time. If they are trying to charge craft beer prices for it, forget about it. I might buy it once or twice for the nostalgia, but no way is it your everyday beer at that price.
The Rolling Rock is in line. I am not a big beer drinker any more and if it is reasonable...I will buy it.