• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New mid to full size SUVs?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you mean "gas-mileage?"

I think it's probably a better than the MDX. My wife only puts on about 5k miles per year and so we're less worried about it, but this CX-9 is going to be lightyears better in mileage than her current Touareg either way.

Regarding resale: I did notice autotrader that used models were pretty reasonable compared to other brands. It's hard to gauge that right now though.

Yes, gas mileage.

And you're right about the MDX. They absolutely swill fuel, especially the ones with the super-whatever AWD system.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
FINALLY. our journey is over.

My wife's new Mazda CX-9 Carbon Edition arrived and we picked it up today. We ordered it about a month and half ago. The car's really cool. I'm excited for her.

There's unfortunately a minor issue with the car - scratched on the hood during delivery. Not a huge deal other than annoying to get a new car and find the scratch. Of course, can't just get another one on the lot since it's the only one available, and dealership - naturally - agreed to make it right one way or the other including body shop replacement...livable problem and I guess the way it is these days.

The bad news: our 2010 Touareg that we had hoped to sell for about $8k-$12k died on us literally just last week. Timing chain and less than 100k miles. Unbelievable. Repairs $12,000 - $17,000 (possible engine failure depending on chain issue). So there basically went $10k that we had hoped to use against this car purchase. Seriously frustrating and sad. The car was in absolutely amazing condition for its age - other than the engine of course. It's just sad to see such a great car get sold for scrap and a real punch in the gut financially and also just how does a car with under 100k miles fully maintained by the dealership have a chain issue? No one would buy it by the way, tried carmax, carvana, and local dealers with full disclosure of the issue...all of them said no for the obvious reason - repairs cost more than the car can sell for. So to the junk pile it went. Felt like one of the biggest wastes I've ever had to participate in. Hard to get past it honestly.

Trying to put that behind us best I can, though.

This new car is beautiful and I'm really excited for my wife. It's her first new car ever in her entire life. And we're doing our best to enjoy the day. She's thrilled with car and that makes me happy too.

Here's a stock photo of the car since it's raining right now and the car's in the garage. When the sun comes back out one of these days, I'll post a quick pic.

Thanks for following the journey everyone!

1663033417066.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
FINALLY. our journey is over.

My wife's new Mazda CX-9 Carbon Edition arrived and we picked it up today. We ordered it about a month and half ago. The car's really cool. I'm excited for her.

There's unfortunately a minor issue with the car - scratched on the hood during delivery. Not a huge deal other than annoying to get a new car and find the scratch. Of course, can't just get another one on the lot since it's the only one available, and dealership - naturally - agreed to make it right one way or the other including body shop replacement...livable problem and I guess the way it is these days.

The bad news: our 2010 Touareg that we had hoped to sell for about $8k-$12k died on us literally just last week. Timing chain and less than 100k miles. Unbelievable. Repairs $12,000 - $17,000 (possible engine failure depending on chain issue). So there basically went $10k that we had hoped to use against this car purchase. Seriously frustrating and sad. The car was in absolutely amazing condition for its age - other than the engine of course. It's just sad to see such a great car get sold for scrap and a real punch in the gut financially and also just how does a car with under 100k miles fully maintained by the dealership have a chain issue? No one would buy it by the way, tried carmax, carvana, and local dealers with full disclosure of the issue...all of them said no for the obvious reason - repairs cost more than the car can sell for. So to the junk pile it went. Felt like one of the biggest wastes I've ever had to participate in. Hard to get past it honestly.

Trying to put that behind us best I can, though.

This new car is beautiful and I'm really excited for my wife. It's her first new car ever in her entire life. And we're doing our best to enjoy the day. She's thrilled with car and that makes me happy too.

Here's a stock photo of the car since it's raining right now and the car's in the garage. When the sun comes back out one of these days, I'll post a quick pic.

Thanks for following the journey everyone!

View attachment 178060
Which engine did your Touareg have?

scott43

Skier
v6, fully dealer-maintained and on schedule over 10 years as well.
Interesting. Interesting, the Audi S4 V8 had cam chain failures and were very expensive to repair... The chain was on the back of the engine. I wonder if it's a similar failure mode. Typically they're bulletproof.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting. Interesting, the Audi S4 V8 had cam chain failures and were very expensive to repair... The chain was on the back of the engine. I wonder if it's a similar failure mode. Typically they're bulletproof.
Yeah. not sure what happened. The car was bulletproof most of its life. Shocked us frankly. VW dealer said it was rare. The two other shops I called that serviced VWs said they saw it more often than they would have expected for Touaregs. Usually around the 80-120 mark. I probably trust the local shops on that one over the VW dealer service given the conflict of interest the VW dealership might have.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fortunately, I traded in my Tiguan when it was starting to burn oil again.... a running car does have a better trade in than a broken car....

scott43

Skier
Having said that the GM 2.4l ecotec has a plastic cam chain tensioner and guide that can/does break and end up in the oil pan.. this can lead to piston/valve contact or sawing through the head. Fortunately it's not that expensive but it's unforgivable for a cam chain engine. The whole point is that it's virtually maintenance free...vs the belt style...

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having said that the GM 2.4l ecotec has a plastic cam chain tensioner and guide that can/does break and end up in the oil pan.. this can lead to piston/valve contact or sawing through the head. Fortunately it's not that expensive but it's unforgivable for a cam chain engine. The whole point is that it's virtually maintenance free...vs the belt style...
we learned after the fact that VW had lost a class action lawsuit over chains for model years of most vehicles 2008-2013. Required them to extend warranties to 100k/10 year. Guess which car was not in that suit? Touareg.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of the early BMW N20 2-liter turbo fours had timing chain guide failures. Some failures result incomplete engine destruction The guides are plastic. Upgraded guides were installed in later N20s and the newer B48 engine seems to have resolved the problem. It was one of the reasons I got rid of my 2014 X1 this spring.

Sponsor

Staff online