• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New pin-action Rottefella (and Alfa boot) - WANTED NOW: Pugski Nordic Sleuthing

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonder about differences with Lync and Meidjo bindings? This appears more general, less strong for backcountry tele?
Lynx and Meidjo are NTN. The beefy part of those bindings is in the springboard attachment to the boot’s duckbutt. They’re designed for plastic tele boots. This new one isn’t even close to that.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yeah. I want this. My recent introduction to AT basically left me unmoved. This is more my speed, I suspect.
You don’t get to flex your foot with AT. You lose power when you can’t pressure the ball of your foot. These are WAY more my speed too.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
REI now has the Alpina Alaska XP boot and Rottefella Xplore bindings in stock, $$$

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.40.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.42.47 PM.png

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^ Did you finally get a set?

I've been holding off because I don't really like the Alaska as a boot - it's heavy and lumpen for its weight.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I've been holding off because I don't really like the Alaska as a boot - it's heavy and lumpen for its weight.
I haven't been in an Alfa boot in 30 years, but back in the day they were really really nice.

Meanwhile I notice that XC Skier magazine was very down on Alpina's race boots in their latest gear issue. Not sure about the others.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

not yet, my BCNNN Alaska boot is still in newish condition, no pressing reason to replace, agree it is heavy but it hasn't given my feet any trouble ... yet.
I would like a new ~ 80, 90 or so ski if a good deal materializes, so possibly at some point but not too likely given trend toward a lack of reliable local snow.
Local REI has a larger size ALFA BCNNN boot in garage sale along with an Alaska three pin, could have been returned by the same dude, the two seem pretty close in big clunky and weight.
I like your idea of a skate ski or combi boot with anything full metal edge 80 or narrower.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you spot a cheap Alfa NNNBC boot in 42-43, LMK :D I have like 6 pairs that could use those :D
I'll check the size and let you know. I'ill be heading back to the store with my BD ski poles to be 100% that the BD Powder Baskets they are selling in garrage sale trekking pole section fit. One set is attached to a trekking pole packaging minus the poles, the other has a store made tag and says powder basket. Both are the latest asterisk shaped baskets. $5 but not taking chances after @Tony S's basket case.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just looking at the flex of that is weird.

I mean it's obviously not 75mm 3pin flex. And it's obviously not system boot non-flex.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just looking at the flex of that is weird.

I mean it's obviously not 75mm 3pin flex. And it's obviously not system boot non-flex.
perhaps the different boot binding coupling location also comes into play with the flex pattern? He likes the flex and torsional ridgity better than the BCNNN counterpart

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
perhaps the different boot binding coupling location also comes into play with the flex pattern?

Of the ski? Yes, I can visualise that.

Smaller feet than his may be more sensitive to that and I suspect herself would strongly dislike that boot. (She freely admits that she hates 75mm)

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, I'm referring to the boots flex pattern, the boot was what we were talking about right
No idea about the ski

We were, but obv. the two have a strong interplay, and pressuring at the tip of all toes v. pressuring at the first met head can make a notable difference.

Remember Visu the ski company? I used to love their skis. One day at Whitegrass a girl is crying because her Voyagers are backsliding constantly. I jump on them, zero problem. Same binding, same boots, same snow. Back then I was about her weight, too. The only difference was that I was in a 4 sizes bigger boot and climbing was considerably easier.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not sure about the others.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - I still can't speak to the XPLOR version.

In the 75mm version, the Alaska has a huge rubber ramp that begins just behind the ball of the foot. System Alpinas don't have it.

That ramp works OK with cable 3 pin as a primitive pre-load but its intensely annoying if you're just using the toe bail. It shortens the effective stride and punches your midfoot upwards into the laces if you try to kick that leg forward very far. I absolutely hate it on days when I'm trying to cover ground.

Otherwise it's a decent boot, with great heel pull back and good durability. Reasonably sturdy above-ankle feel that can perform well if laced properly. And bathtub-sized volume for those of us who need volume without length.