• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New pin-action Rottefella (and Alfa boot) - WANTED NOW: Pugski Nordic Sleuthing

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
New player in the game:

$325

images.jpeg

explore bindings $230

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ when are you getting a pair?
:huh: Maybe with the next XC Ski. My Fischer S-Bound 78's bases and edges are worn and I out grew got to heavy for the Rossi BC-65's purchased when I had Graves disease and weighed nothing, gave them to a friend.
Only my Alaska NNN boots are in very good condition so I'd have to really like one of the Xplore boots to upgrade everything.
I do have the option to submit the Alaska NNN boots to REI used gear program in that they were purchased from REI, no idea what they'd give me but it could make the Xplore upgrade worth doing...
Of course if the coming La'Nina brings the East a winter like UT and California '22/'23, I would be more likely to upgrade and switch it up to Xplore.
I didn't use the XC gear at all this winter, never had measurable snow around here nor did I do the Gore Mt & Garnet Hill combo thing:\

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeh, see that's kind of where I'm coming from too.

I need something that's better for out-the-back-door skiing, not destination XC. My Rossi BC-80 (186cm) need an Alaska level boot or better for anything like nimble control on creekside MTB trails. Lower-cut NNN-BC have not a hope of edging those on anything that's been remotely scraped off by prior trail users. Except Alaskas aren't nimble.

Yes, I have 75mm as an option - but that's an overall-distance-covered limiting option. Which is why I haven't mounted my S-Bounds with either 75mm or NNN-BC yet.

Have you tried skiing Gifford Pinchot SP yet?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
never heard of Gifford Pinchot SP. Appears to be ~ 3.5'ish sq miles, seems small, any good? Harrisburg area is a little too far west of Philly to be on the radar, if its not bad I could keep it in mind if the snow happens there and not here

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
never heard of Gifford Pinchot SP. Appears to be ~ 3.5'ish sq miles, seems small, any good? Harrisburg area is a little too far west of Philly to be on the radar, if its not bad I could keep it in mind if the snow happens there and not here

*shrug* it keeps snow - and there's crust skating potential on super cold days and there are MTB trails for bushwacking.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you spot a cheap Alfa NNNBC boot in 42-43, LMK :D I have like 6 pairs that could use those :D

ALFA Vista Advance GTX Cross-Country Ski Boots​

5.02 Reviews View the 2 reviews with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars

Item #203279
$268.93Compared to $539.00* Save 50%

ALFA Outback A/P/S 2.0 GTX Cross-Country Ski Boots​

0.00 Reviews No reviews yet; be the first!

Item #203281
$298.93Compared to $599.00* Save 50%

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

ALFA Free A/P/S GTX Cross-Country Ski Boots​

Item #203280
$358.93 Compared to $719.00* Save 50%

ALFA Vista Advance GTX Cross-Country Ski Boots​

5.02 Reviews View the 2 reviews with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars
Item #203279
$268.93Compared to $539.00* Save 50%

ALFA Outback A/P/S 2.0 GTX Cross-Country Ski Boots​

0.00 Reviews No reviews yet; be the first!
Item #203281
$298.93Compared to $599.00* Save 50%
What do we think is going on here? Both Alfa and REI went all-in on these boots, sales were miserable, and now BOTH are getting out at a loss? Product was good but way overpriced for the market? Alfa had horrible designs and they're going back to the drawing board? It's kind of unusual to have a full range of sizes available in a whole range of related "discontinued" products selling at half retail.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What do we think is going on here? Both Alfa and REI went all-in on these boots, sales were miserable, and now BOTH are getting out at a loss? Product was good but way overpriced for the market? Alfa had horrible designs and they're going back to the drawing board? It's kind of unusual to have a full range of sizes available in a whole range of related "discontinued" products selling at half retail.

I don't know about 'we'. I think it's likely to be just a post-Covid price adjustment similar to what's happening in cycling.

I also think these specific models are the same ones that were looked at at the top of this now 2 year old thread - so 2021 or earlier - and there are now more designs in more price brackets, as the link from Telemark Pyrenees shows.

In re: abysmal sales, I think we also have a dearth of 80mm-90mm waisted extra light skis on market. By extra light I mean too light to be driven by tech bindings. And that is keeping sales just super extra-niche.

I have already committed to this platform as a segue/experiment from 75mm; doubt there are going to be more than a handful even here, most are either happy with NNN-BC or over in tech binding world.

If anyone wants to join me, Rossignol are doing a Blackops Positrack ski. I mean holy crap, an old school BC120 WITH A BLACKOPS build!

*wonders if @chris_the_wrench is still looking for a meadowskipping platform*

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Much enjoyed! Did not expect to see such technical skiing in this thread. Sympathized with those mid run breaks to catch their breath - been there when bumping on such light weight gear. Thanks for posting!

Sponsor