• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Sequoia

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's here:

No actual driving impressions yet. Of interest to me is:

1. Reversion to a solid axle.

2. No mention of a long WB version.

3. And maybe no AWD setting on the 4WD system. I've probably got that part wrong.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No actual driving impressions yet. Of interest to me is:

1. Reversion to a solid axle.

2. No mention of a long WB version.

3. And maybe no AWD setting on the 4WD system. I've probably got that part wrong.

Whenever I read things like that I think "Yep, there's very good reliability reasons Toyota displaced LandRover sales in Australia"

And really, driving impressions in a Sequoia??? :roflmao:

The 'roo bar really makes the front end push, you know :D :D

( @Tom K. is going to get that and plenty more for subjecting us to 'knowledge base' )

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am liking it more than I thought I would. Huge display screen. Look at the loss of space in the back with the way the seats fold, coming from what GM did with the Subur-colaide-com XL going with a independent rear created much more interior room.

2023_Toyota_Sequoia_Limited_030.jpg

You can carry 7 passengers or their stuff ... but not both.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe solid rear axle to appease those who are furious with the discontinuation of the Land Rover?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The solid rear with available electronic locker as a differentiator while sharing the platform with the Land Cruiser means that the TRD Pro version is the North America size Land Cruiser. This thing is a lot bigger than it looks - appears to have side marker lights for width regulation.

Given Toyota doesn’t sell large trucks in the volume class of the American manufacturers, this settles the strategy of discontinuing the Land Cruiser that has no purpose in our market in big but not large format.

There is a cost here to space of course, but the fold out platform is really cool and Toyota probably recognizes that the third row is down in these trucks 99.99% of the time anyway.

The other interesting point outside of the fully modern interior is the hybrid only engine across all models. Even the new Lexus LX (Land Cruiser) doesn’t have that.

I’ll be the first to say that this release has what I would want and it would put it at number one if I thought it was remotely sane to spend $70k on a vehicle.

But I don’t, so I just bought this 2008. It’s getting 35” tires and I’m upgrading the lift to a heavier duty Dobinsons setup, and so can live with upgrading the head unit even though it will only be 6.8” and the maestro datalink is on back order so I have to live with Aux input for now.

A3C5FF1B-8783-4AD8-88A3-2FED1DD0CF0D.jpeg

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am liking it more than I thought I would. Huge display screen. Look at the loss of space in the back with the way the seats fold, coming from what GM did with the Subur-colaide-com XL going with a independent rear created much more interior room.

2023_Toyota_Sequoia_Limited_030.jpg

You can carry 7 passengers or their stuff ... but not both.
One issue here is that the third rows don't fold into the floor, which is why I think they did the table top concept. It's fine, but it's just odd. I like it too though, the more I look at it.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like it but do not like the lack of storage space and the inability of the third row to fold into the floor due to the solid rear axle.

Here's my second generation with the third-row flat:

PXL_20210426_012209176.jpg

We pile soft bags on top of the skis and can fit a ton back there, and you can't do that with the new generation.

Also, sad to see the roll-down rear glass gone. It's nice to drive around with it cracked or open at times.

I'll still probably end up with a third-generation someday. Hopefully, a stretch version. It will be awesome if they do a full platform on a stretch version to put skis underneath.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Whenever I read things like that I think "Yep, there's very good reliability reasons Toyota displaced LandRover sales in Australia"

Maybe solid rear axle to appease those who are furious with the discontinuation of the Land Rover?

Someone wake me up when we can buy an LC70(new) here in the US...

Be damned ride quality, roll over safety, and 20" tv screen center consoles!

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't figure out if the third row is at least removable. My 14 suburban doesn't fold into the floor, but I can at least remove the seats.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't figure out if the third row is at least removable. My 14 suburban doesn't fold into the floor, but I can at least remove the seats.
I don't think, at least not without much effort. Those levers below the third row allow moving the seats forward and back. That is a nice trick:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I like it but do not like the lack of storage space and the inability of the third row to fold into the floor due to the solid rear axle.

Here's my second generation with the third-row flat:

View attachment 156983

We pile soft bags on top of the skis and can fit a ton back there, and you can't do that with the new generation.

Also, sad to see the roll-down rear glass gone. It's nice to drive around with it cracked or open at times.

I'll still probably end up with a third-generation someday. Hopefully, a stretch version. It will be awesome if they do a full platform on a stretch version to put skis underneath.
One thing to consider is that in the overlanding world, which is all the rage, people spend a ton of money integrating drawer systems, etc. into their cargo areas, removing a third row permanently to do it. Go on Craiglist and see all of the people trying to sell third row seats to people who have them.

Here, you can have some functional aspects of this concept on top of the third row, and that keeps it modular for multi-purpose use.

This is really well thought out (in concept, we are only seeing pictures) if you agree that Toyota’s niche is retention of off-road functionality that is based on the idea of carrying capability over long distances in extreme environments. That’s why the return of the solid axle and why they are pitching an XL Land Cruiser in our market.

I think it’s a home run for Toyota fans - especially if it opens the door for the Land Cruiser to become a true off-road rig again in smaller size and real heritage. I can certainly spend 1/3 and have more capability with a second gen, but I can’t have a modular platform system on top of my third row - that’s all in or all out, there is no in between.

Based on the Tundra, I didn’t expect to be wanting one, and I was dead wrong.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@nay, I agree the new Sequoia is a home run, assuming a long-wheelbase version is coming in a year or two. I think all the engineering tradeoffs point to that likely happening.

They sacrificed storage capacity for the hybrid battery under the third row of seats, and not having to engineer and manufacture an independent rear suspension saved a bundle that helped make the standard hybrid possible.

Mike Sweers, the chief engineer for Toyota's body on frame trucks in North America, has given several interviews where he discusses the engineering and market tradeoffs in deciding what content is in the trucks. Like it or not, it's all about making money, and Toyota tends to make very smart business decisions.

A unique rear suspension for the Sequoia doesn't make economic sense any longer given the global platform. A solid axle and rear locker for off-road functionality is just a happy side effect for the few who will use the Sequoia off-road.

I think Toyota knew they would get panned for the new Sequoia's rear storage, and they are probably readying the solution: charging another five grand for the long-wheelbase Sequoia. Thinking of the profits from engineering and manufacturing an XL version vs. the pure expense for an independent rear suspension to allow more rear space seems like a great business decision.

I looked at the Tundra specs, and the 6.5-foot bed truck is precisely one foot longer in both wheelbase and overall length. The shelf system in the new Sequoia currently seems like it's making up for a deficit, but when they add another foot of space underneath becomes a super desirable feature in my view.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay, I agree the new Sequoia is a home run, assuming a long-wheelbase version is coming in a year or two. I think all the engineering tradeoffs point to that likely happening.

They sacrificed storage capacity for the hybrid battery under the third row of seats, and not having to engineer and manufacture an independent rear suspension saved a bundle that helped make the standard hybrid possible.

Mike Sweers, the chief engineer for Toyota's body on frame trucks in North America, has given several interviews where he discusses the engineering and market tradeoffs in deciding what content is in the trucks. Like it or not, it's all about making money, and Toyota tends to make very smart business decisions.

A unique rear suspension for the Sequoia doesn't make economic sense any longer given the global platform. A solid axle and rear locker for off-road functionality is just a happy side effect for the few who will use the Sequoia off-road.

I think Toyota knew they would get panned for the new Sequoia's rear storage, and they are probably readying the solution: charging another five grand for the long-wheelbase Sequoia. Thinking of the profits from engineering and manufacturing an XL version vs. the pure expense for an independent rear suspension to allow more rear space seems like a great business decision.

I looked at the Tundra specs, and the 6.5-foot bed truck is precisely one foot longer in both wheelbase and overall length. The shelf system in the new Sequoia currently seems like it's making up for a deficit, but when they add another foot of space underneath becomes a super desirable feature in my view.
@tball where did you find the Sequoia specs?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tball where did you find the Sequoia specs?
I haven't seen any specs for the Sequoia. The length difference I mentioned came from the Tundra.

I did watch Alex's new Sequoia video that came out today, and he has a lot of great info as usual, including details about the third row:

He mentions the second row doesn't move. That's a bummer, as moving it forward makes for a lot more storage in the second generation Sequoia (as you can see in my picture above). I take that as yet another sign the XL version is coming someday.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't seen any specs for the Sequoia. The length difference I mentioned came from the Tundra.

I did watch Alex's new Sequoia video that came out today, and he has a lot of great info as usual, including details about the third row:

He mentions the second row doesn't move. That's a bummer, as moving it forward makes for a lot more storage in the second generation Sequoia (as you can see in my picture above). I take that as yet another sign the XL version is coming someday.
great additions to this discussion. Thank you.

It seems like a no-brainer to go up against the Suburban and Expedition. I'm hopeful you're right. Tundra has that extended body as well that's basically telling me the Suburban competitor is coming.

I searched for specs everywhere and couldn't find much other than the press release I posted earlier in this discussion. I'm guessing in a week or so more bloggers/podcasts will have access to the specs and we'll learn more. Looking forward to test driving it this summer.