• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski purchase: Kendos, Deacons, Other? Do I have a width problem?

LosCrusher

Booting up
Skier
Hi I’m looking for some advice/opinion on buying new skis and was hoping to get some insight because my head may explode if I read another review/article.

I’m a 51 yr old male, 5’ 10” / 185lbs, advanced, mostly on-piste, frontside skier living in Connecticut. I returned to skiing 3 yrs ago after a 7 yr hiatus due to partial knee replacements in both knees. I’ve been renting the last few seasons since getting back into it. I used to ski a bunch out west in the past however these days I’m spending most of my skiing locally (New England) with my young daughters who are just starting out. That said I am taking 2 week-long trips out west next year to Telluride and Steamboat and plan to get out ther once a year going forward.

Last year I demoed the Volkl Deacon 79 (170cm) and loved them - every turn in icy conditions was like going through butter.

Later in the year, I planned on demoing the Kendo 88’s because of many positive reviews and local recommendations. a friend said they are the “ulltimate dad ski” (which I can’t get out of my head even though I don't really know what it means) anyway, the shop mixed up my reservation and no Kendos were avail that day. The shop’s staff suggested the K2 Disruption 82Ti (172cm) saying they were the closest comparison they had. I liked them ok, but felt like I really had to work to gain control and stability. (Was it a width issue?)

TLDR: I’m really interested in purchasing the Kendo 88 @ (170cm?) but given I did not have a great time with the K2 Disruption 82Ti (albeit it was only 1 day), I’m wondering if the Kendos will be a similar challenge to the Disruptions and I should stick with Deacons? Or get the Kendos and stop blaming the ski and get my act together. Sorry for the looong note, hope this is enough info and greatly appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi I’m looking for some advice/opinion on buying new skis and was hoping to get some insight because my head may explode if I read another review/article.

I’m a 51 yr old male, 5’ 10” / 185lbs, advanced, mostly on-piste, frontside skier living in Connecticut. I returned to skiing 3 yrs ago after a 7 yr hiatus due to partial knee replacements in both knees. I’ve been renting the last few seasons since getting back into it. I used to ski a bunch out west in the past however these days I’m spending most of my skiing locally (New England) with my young daughters who are just starting out. That said I am taking 2 week-long trips out west next year to Telluride and Steamboat and plan to get out ther once a year going forward.

Last year I demoed the Volkl Deacon 79 (170cm) and loved them - every turn in icy conditions was like going through butter.

Later in the year, I planned on demoing the Kendo 88’s because of many positive reviews and local recommendations. a friend said they are the “ulltimate dad ski” (which I can’t get out of my head even though I don't really know what it means) anyway, the shop mixed up my reservation and no Kendos were avail that day. The shop’s staff suggested the K2 Disruption 82Ti (172cm) saying they were the closest comparison they had. I liked them ok, but felt like I really had to work to gain control and stability. (Was it a width issue?)

TLDR: I’m really interested in purchasing the Kendo 88 @ (170cm?) but given I did not have a great time with the K2 Disruption 82Ti (albeit it was only 1 day), I’m wondering if the Kendos will be a similar challenge to the Disruptions and I should stick with Deacons? Or get the Kendos and stop blaming the ski and get my act together. Sorry for the looong note, hope this is enough info and greatly appreciate any thoughts! Thank you!

Not sure its a width issue, sounds more like a stiffness issue to be honest, any skis like the Kendo and the Disruption are built for stability first and then speed and then turning. The deacon is more of carving ski and it could have just worked well with your style of skiing. Hard to pinpoint exactly but stiffness would be my first guess, not to say that trying a wider ski may not have presented its own set of challenges if you are not used to it but anytime you feel like you have to put in a lot of work or effort on a ski usually means its just too stiff and not right.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I say pick one pair for now.. perhaps the upper 70s underfoot ones. A year from now you'll want something in the 70s underfoot and will want and be ready for those kendos. Kendos are a different breed.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From your description. For skiing the NE, go with the Deacon 79 that you already loved. You hit oil, stop drilling.

The 2023 Kendo is a really nice ski. One of the best iteration of Kendo yet. That said, it would not be my ski choice for most NE days. Good DD for a strong skier in mixed snow and mixed terrain out west.

Caveat, if you happen to go with the Kendo. Make sure it's the 2023 (gen 5) rather than 2022 (gen 4). The gen 4 is a bit of a dog.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get a ski for the conditions you actually ski (eastern groomers) verses the conditons you hope to or partially ski, a week out west. With two reconstructed knees, erring to the narrower ski will be more knee friendly. I found the Disruption 82Ti to be a pretty one turn teddy of a ski so I can see why you had some issues. I think you would be real happy with the Deacon 84 (a step up from the 79 as a ski to grow into) , buy it and call it a day and get ready for next season. As far as other options, there are dozens of viable options that will do what you want but none are significantly better at any one thing that would be enough to sway you from than Deacon and to bring them into the discussion will surely make your head explode.

Here come the zealots in 3 ... 2 ...1 ... ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You know you like the Deacon 79. I'd say that's a bird in the hand, a known success, paydirt, as @KingGrump says.

If you get a chance to demo the Deacon 84, then consider it too, but it is still a bit of an unknown for you.

And I agree with @KingGrump about where the Kendo would be great. To me it's a great ski also, but for a bit of a different use.

By the way, I'm out west in Colorado, and both the Deacon and the Kendo are great out here, with more of a hard snow and groomer bias to the Deacon, in a good way.

Also, I've demoed both that Disruption 82 ti and the Kendo (in both 170 and the next up, 178(?)). To me, no comparison: the Kendo felt so dialed in, a real standout among a lot of skis I demoed that day. That Disruption, on the other hand, mostly stood out in the opposite direction: not dialed in enough, out of sync - send it back to the drawing board!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I prefer softer skis, and agree when a ski feels off it usually the stiffness (or the tune).

And yes, if you find a ski you love, stop looking!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be the first to say buy the one you love!

Oh, wait...never mind.

Seriously, buy the Deacon. If Ullr graces you with some dumps on your trips next season, try some wider softer skis if the mood strikes.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I found the D84 to be as really fun ski, much better than the Deacon80 for Southern Vermont stuff.

Where the K88 was mind blowing was that it gives up a small % of abilities to rail for massive gains in stability / suspension - I attribute this to the free ride, tapered tip.

Sounds like the Deacon is ur rig.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Deacon 84 is just a good ski. and surpringly friendly considering how hard you can rip them. I've put people who has skied 10 days total in their life on it, and they have grown into it without getting punished, I've also lent it to ex racers who then decided to grab a pair.

we have 40-50 pairs in rotation at home, 2 of thoose pairs are deacon 84s 182 = mine, 172 = hers.

kendo 88 is a fun ski also on frontside, but I just prefer the deacon 84 there

grab skis on sale in summer and you can have more skis for the same ski budget

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
2 week-long trips out west next year to Telluride and Steamboat
I was in Vail twice and Steamboat once last winter, 16 days combined. No fresh snow, we had either hard pack or spring slush. The skis that worked best for me were 68 mm. Echoing Pug...buy the skis that suit your most frequent conditions and rent if there's a dump of snow. Telluride next winter...I'll check their weather forecast the day before I pack and then decide which skis to take, the 99s and 80s or the 80s and 68s. For lift-served powder, it's only a couple of runs on the fresh stuff, then we're skiing crud.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
4A2ED04B-C313-4051-8CB9-F01037FA58F2.jpeg

^ this is the difference for myself bw the K88 & D84 ; Deacon feels like it’s on rails & only wants to make one turn & take you for the ride. Kendo let’s you slash & stivot like butter! So much more fun (for me, YMMV) closing down the radius & stivots for speed / directional control at the top of the turn on the Kendo, vs skidding the bottom of the turn on the Deacon when I’d get in trouble.

TS
L

LosCrusher

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys - hoping for some further guidance concerning the latest drama in my life.

I decided on the Deacon 84s (thank you all for the help) and last Friday came across a deal ($799) at a local ski shop for a NEW pair of 172cms.
They're the 2021 model but I believe, other than the topsheet, are essentially the same as 2023.
I was ready to pounce but was in a rush and didn't have the time to make the sale that day. Said I'd be back asap

The very next day, I'm with my kids renting their skis at a different shop. I was chatting it up with one of the sales guys, and mentioned I really liked the Deacon 84s, etc (fwiw - the shop was a Volkl dealer but were not carrying the Deacon line this year). The sales guy was not impressed and began to explain why the D84 are nice but not all that.

Cut to - after the sales guy finishes disparaging the Deacons (I can't recall his words exactly but he went on for a few minutes), he then says "one sec" and goes to speak with his manager in the back. He returns, picks out a new pair of Kastle MX83 and offers them to me for half-price ($599) Says these are perfect for what I'm looking for and can't imagine me not loving them based on my skier profile I've described to him.

I thank the guy and say "let me think about it" then tell my kids they got great rentals this year and leave the store.

I haven't demo'd either of these skis but did demo the Deacon 79's and liked them alot. I also thought the idea of growing into the 84's as @Philpug suggested made a lot of sense.

But.. the Kastle's do look really nice (although I am seeing them on sale at quite a few places.) Add bindings for MX83s and it's close to a wash price-wise between the two.

Anyway now I'm having second thoughts and thinking maybe I should hold off and demo more.
But I have the available $ now to buy and feel like I'm an unforeseen home repair away from missing the opportunity. (head getting ready to explode)

Sorry for the long rant but any guidance is super appreciated!

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
4CDE4DD5-9864-46B5-BE37-50F5ADC50EB7.jpeg

These could be yours……. NIP ; You don’t want a MX83 - too lil mass & gets bounced about.

YMMV, but that slider on the D84 will let ya down compared to a fixed clamp.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The sales guy was not impressed and began to explain why the D84 are nice but not all that.

the shop was a Volkl dealer but were not carrying the Deacon line this year

Cut to - after the sales guy finishes disparaging the Deacons (I can't recall his words exactly but he went on for a few minutes), he then says "one sec" and goes to speak with his manager in the back. He returns, picks out a new pair of Kastle MX83

Not hard to see what's going on here, right? Sales people talk up what they have in inventory. That's kinda their job, understanding that there is nuance to it in real life.

I am a former MX 83 owner. They are very nice skis. You might love them, and that is a good price.

That said, they're not Deacons, which you KNOW you like.

Easy to be swayed by others' biases. Even if they're well founded biases, they're biases that work for them.

And don't forget to get the right size.

Sponsor

Staff online