• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New ski purchase: Kendos, Deacons, Other? Do I have a width problem?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"You aren't a cool dad because you ski Kendo's, you are a cool dad because you are a cool dad. "

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
it definitely is with me!

Sincere thanks to everyone for their input.

I'm going to go with the Deacons. They're what I've been leaning towards the whole time and I don't think I'll have regrets.

If I get lucky and it dumps while I'm in Telluride, I'm def going to try out some Kendos.
Sounds good, as said many times above you tried and like these, so bird in the hand.

As for width high 70s is good for most Eastern skiing and many non-pow days out west too. If you get a dump you can demo/rent some wider skis and see how they work for you.

I didn’t see it mentioned here, some (not all, also not me) people report more knee pain with wider skis, maybe relevant as you mention reconstructed knees. Maybe or maybe not an issue.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
"You aren't a cool dad because you ski Kendo's, you are a cool dad because you are a cool dad. "
9D08C529-5912-4D2A-A308-87BFFF5BABA9.jpeg

:)

Let’s see if we can get MDV behind #KendoDad ?! :)

* the story behind this pic is so good. my lil bro asked me to check out some Volkls on FB a woman was selling; upon meeting her she had no idea what she was selling. Her father had passed recently & should could not bare to see her dad’s Volkls in the closet - she wanted em back on the hill. My bro, in the background, swapped skis w me & a buddy snapped this pic. We then shared it with the woman- pretty certain her dad was pulling thru this turn.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Sounds good, as said many times above you tried and like these, so bird in the hand.

As for width high 70s is good for most Eastern skiing and many non-pow days out west too. If you get a dump you can demo/rent some wider skis and see how they work for you.

I didn’t see it mentioned here, some (not all, also not me) people report more knee pain with wider skis, maybe relevant as you mention reconstructed knees. Maybe or maybe not an issue.
That's only a problem on hard snow in my experience. I mostly ski in Ontario Canada, but also ski on Vancouver Island. I have 68 mm skis and 108 mm skis. Also demoed skis in between. Although I prefer narrow skis on groomers, even on the island, they suck IMHO in deep snow. The 108s also stuck on groomers on the Island, but I put up with it because they are so good off piste in trees. 80 to 96 mm is OK (but not great) on groomers or off piste on the Island, but too wide for Ontario groomer zooming. 108 mm in Ontario conditions is knee damaging.
Also you will learn to ski the way your ski works best. Proper carving skis work best carving, and that is why they are the best carving teacher, and not the best to learn smearing, traditional short radius turns and mogul skiing on.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^ one of the freaky things about that pic is how much the volkl nested v^s look like ID One flames when they're both asymmetrical like on the Kendo and out of focus...

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO, New England? Stay below a 84mm width. I have the Stockli Laser AR, and they're really really really good skis and all, but when I got on a pair of Laser GS (68mm width) it was a TOTALLY DIFFERENT BALL GAME. I still think the Laser AX was the perfect do it all New England ski, personally.

Also, just to put it out there: there are a TON of ski-swap and ski expo's that are about to kick off in the next few weeks/month. I'd hit the old Google/Facebook event search and look for anything close to you if you want to save a $.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It is done..Quick note of thanks to all for your advice and guidance. I've been training all off-season and if at first, these seem to be "too much" ski for me, I'll be even more motivated to improve and grow into them.

View attachment 179897
Good choice.

TS
L

LosCrusher

Booting up
Skier
A brief note of thanks to all for helping me out with my ski recommendations. I finally got out on my new Deacon 84s over New Years at Jay Peak.
Conditions were pretty grim but these sleds were champs right out of the gate. I was giddy on them.

I still wonder about the Kendos as it seemed every instructor I ran into was skiing them..but I dont dwell on it much as I absolutely LOVE these skis.

Very grateful for all the help!

Cheers!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A brief note of thanks to all for helping me out with my ski recommendations. I finally got out on my new Deacon 84s over New Years at Jay Peak.
Conditions were pretty grim but these sleds were champs right out of the gate. I was giddy on them.

I still wonder about the Kendos as it seemed every instructor I ran into was skiing them..but I dont dwell on it much as I absolutely LOVE these skis.

Very grateful for all the help!

Cheers!

I've heard great things about the deacon. Have fun!!!