• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear New ski /quiver thoughts

Family AT ski quiver addition:

• 86 mm waist firm snow bias

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I saw some Trace 88 in 162cm on sale for $350. Since Armada switched up the model, and the new ones retail for $770, this seemed like a good way to go, also because they have a really cool top sheet that she will love.

If they don’t work out for her, maybe my wife will like them
I hope I can simply swap the ATK Crest bindings from her old skis over, Those have brakes for 86 mm wide skis, so with a bit of luck I can bend them a bit and make them work. Since we are only talking 1 mm per side. E527CA2D-D47D-4C33-A44F-945FEC1BBC45.jpeg

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Völkl Blaze women's ski were discussed earlier (@Mel mentioned). It’s a super fun and agile ski with a nice backcountry feel. Plus, the skis are lighter than the Trace.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Völkl Blaze womens ski were discussed earlier. It’s a super fun and agile ski with a nice backcountry feel. Plus, the skis are lighter than the Trace.
Really? I wouldn’t have thought that. Will double check. Thanks.

Edit:
claimed weights are 1430 g for the Blaze 86 and 1200 g for the Tracer 88, both in 172cm. which makes sense, the Blaze is a lightweight resort ski, the Tracer is pretty much aimed at touring only.

Of course, real weights might be different.

clewis

Booting up
Skier

Check out corbetts. Some good deals on skis right now. Not sure how the cross boarder shipping works. Canadian dollar though. They have some others in the volkl line that might work.

96mm will works fine for the Hut trips. I've been on a few trips interior BC. Our group always had a mix of skis from 95mm-112mm. Never notice anyone not smiling in the powder. If it was your main playground I'd say go for 100mm+. Plus the 96mm would be nice if you end up in Europe.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
[. Also, I am trying to imagine someone my weight 8 inches taller than me. Wow.
Well, when I checked my spreadsheet, I saw she was 100lbs last year, and 4” shorter, so maybe her answer as to what she weighs (uhh, 100 lbs) wasn’t accurate.
Turns out, she is 122lbs. :ogbiggrin:

So, that puts her on the higher end of Armada’s size chart for the 162 cm Tracer 88 for height, so even corrected for less than average weight, it hopefully it works well for her. If not, my wife just got some spring ski’s ;)

CA4359B7-500D-4F86-A41D-E9A719E7A371.jpeg

Oh, by the way, they average 1175 grams per ski.

Last edited:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
So she just needs another pair of those with touring binders. /thread
Or a pair of DayMakers if she's only going to skin occasionally.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps it’s not clear, I bough the Tracers, that’s where the 1175 g average weight I posted above is from.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
+1 on Blaze as touring ski. Took the Blaze 94 on a european ski trip and was perfect. The tip is also quite wide so it planes up well despite not being the widest. Also available relatively cheap. I love that I feel confident on it no matter what in weird conditions or great ones. For the canadian hut trip, yes would be nice to have a wider ski for that like Blaze 106 :). But 94 is a good all around width.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on Blaze as touring ski. Took the Blaze 94 on a european ski trip and was perfect. The tip is also quite wide so it planes up well despite not being the widest. Also available relatively cheap. I love that I feel confident on it no matter what in weird conditions or great ones. For the canadian hut trip, yes would be nice to have a wider ski for that like Blaze 106 :). But 94 is a good all around width.
Yeah, I read your reports from your trip. Good to hear.

Sponsor