• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis for 14 Year Old Beginner

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
My 14 year old has been renting kids skis for the past couple seasons, namely K2 Amp Strikes at 136cm. Whe's still a beginner, she is able to get down groomed Blue runs. She's 5'1", 98lbs, size 7.5-8 in womens shoes (wore a 24.5 rental boot last year) and pretty much done growing. She's athletic, but cautious so I was thinking of buying a pair of Rossi Experience Jr Pros in 140cm for this season, which would then get passed down to my younger kid. If I go this route, I believe I'd have to get her junior boots and those wouldn't be compatible with adult bindings down the road. I was also looking at the K2 Anthem 75s in 142 as an alternative and then would be locked into getting her women's boots with the concern being she's probably better off with a softer flex. Any guidence on which direction to go would be appreciated.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d go with the Anthems so you have the adult bindings. Also, that ski should be good for improving her skiing. What is the issue with getting her a women’s boot? As long as it is fit properly, she should have no difficulty flexing one that has been correctly fitted.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can’t suggest whats best, however, she is past the Beginner (beginner) stage, so something both in both boots and ski that’s aimed towards a beginner/intermediate maybe even intermediate is good.

Both boots and skis should be just enough above her ability not to hinder development but leave lots of room for growth in skill and strength. This is a very fine line at any level with the only exception being as you get into advanced you realize you can ski any ski easily, but still need to work to tap all its potential (hopefully in your lifetime).

Maybe @Tricia can make a good recommendation here.

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can’t suggest whats best, however, she is past the Beginner (beginner) stage, so something both in both boots and ski that’s aimed towards a beginner/intermediate maybe even intermediate is good.

Both boots and skis should be just enough above her ability not to hinder development but leave lots of room for growth in skill and strength. This is a very fine line at any level with the only exception being as you get into advanced you realize you can ski any ski easily, but still need to work to tap all its potential (hopefully in your lifetime).

Maybe @Tricia can make a good recommendation here.

Thanks, maybe I should be looking at the Anthem 76s in 142cm then?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a proponent of longer skis. At 5.1, I would go 155-160. Plus she's basically not Jr anymore too. Unless big growth spree is in the future. If she can carve, she would benefit from better skis.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My kids spent their early learning years on the K2 Public Enemy and they were perfect imo. They weren’t overly stiff and didn’t have a ton of siidecut. Those features combined with the twin tip design that allowed them to easily pivot served them well.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on longer skis. 5'1" == 154cm. I'd target 148cm-ish (eye level) length skis. At 14 yo, she might be (near) full grown as mentioned in OP.
+1 on non-beginner skis. If she's comfortable skiing blues, she's close to reaching speeds where a little better ski will be noticable. I'd shoot for a front side oriented carver-ish, something in high 70s low 80s under foot. I'd also get used, because she's likely to outgrow the ski as skills improve and tastes evolve.
So, a vote for the Rossignol experience 80 150 women's (not jr).

Good luck

TS
B

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
+1 on longer skis. 5'1" == 154cm. I'd target 148cm-ish (eye level) length skis. At 14 yo, she might be (near) full grown as mentioned in OP.
+1 on non-beginner skis. If she's comfortable skiing blues, she's close to reaching speeds where a little better ski will be noticable. I'd shoot for a front side oriented carver-ish, something in high 70s low 80s under foot. I'd also get used, because she's likely to outgrow the ski as skills improve and tastes evolve.
So, a vote for the Rossignol experience 80 150 women's (not jr).

Good luck

Quick update... your recommendation is spot on. I didn't end up buying new skis for my daughter (yet), but did upgrade her rentals to Rossi Temptation 80s in 144cm. So far she's shown improvement, seems to have gotten skid turns down and now trying to find her edges more in turning. I think the 80mm width is good for all-around on piste conditions in Tahoe, but at only ~95lbs, the Rossi's may be a tad stiff/hooky in the tail for her. I'll probably hold off this season and look for a sale on the Exp 80w 150s or the Astral 78s 151s, which should have more forgiving tails based on their softer shape than the Temptations.

Last edited: