• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis For An Old Guy

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I’m a 68-year-old, New England skier and I’ve been skiing since I was 19. I think I used to be pretty good, but I’ll confess that I’ve skied with ladies and kids for most of the last twenty years and my skills are not what they used to be. I’m skiing on a pair of 2003 Dynastar Intuitive 69c skis. These are fine on softish groomers but get kind of sketchy when the conditions get steep and icy. I’ve had no luck in the mogul fields with them either, but then I never was a great bump skier and, heck, I’m 68!

I’ve been discussing a new pair of skis with a buddy of mine, who is a terrific skier and with whom I’ve skied several days. He knows what I can do and he knows equipment – he never owns less than a half-dozen pair of skis. Some time ago he lent me a pair of Kastle MX 84s, which I liked very much. His recommendations for me include the Kastle MX 74s (says they will be better in typical hard pack, New England conditions), and his top recommendation is the Blossom White Out.

I looked around online to see what these skis would cost and both are in $800 to $1,000 range once you add a set of bindings and shipping. This is a lot for a pair of skis, but I could afford them. I noticed that none of the local ski shops seem to carry these models (or Blossom at all) and the only way you can find a pair is online. Even there, there are only a few suppliers listing them. I’d rather buy from a reliable store, but I suspect that would be hard to do.

My question is: What other models would be comparable, less expensive and more available?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome!

I don't ski on the East and cannot give you recommendations for a specific ski.

But I can suggest you search the forum and the ski reviews for "Cage Match" comparisons that include the skis you are interested in. You might find some alternatives that way.

I believe the two you are talking about are high price point brands. You can probably find something to suit your needs for a lot less.

It also will help responders to know a bit more about you. Height weight what your goals are and terrain you expect to ski with them.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You might go to the Home Page and look for the "Ski Selector". It might help.

I just look for the red ones, red ones are best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
You can get Blossoms factory direct through PugSki/Ski Talk.
Best deal in skiing!
You are not going to find high end skis in most local shops.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Your friend knows what he's talking about with regard to the Blossom Whiteout as his top recommendation. I have never read anything even approaching a negative comment about the Whiteouts. I'm about your age and recently bought two pairs of Blossoms - Whiteouts were one of them. These are premium skis for a not quite premium price. If you want to communicate with "the guy" when it comes to them, @Blossom Skis (mike) is who you need to talk to. Good Luck!

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I’m a 68-year-old, New England skier and I’ve been skiing since I was 19. I think I used to be pretty good, but I’ll confess that I’ve skied with ladies and kids for most of the last twenty years and my skills are not what they used to be. I’m skiing on a pair of 2003 Dynastar Intuitive 69c skis. These are fine on softish groomers but get kind of sketchy when the conditions get steep and icy. I’ve had no luck in the mogul fields with them either, but then I never was a great bump skier and, heck, I’m 68!

I’ve been discussing a new pair of skis with a buddy of mine, who is a terrific skier and with whom I’ve skied several days. He knows what I can do and he knows equipment – he never owns less than a half-dozen pair of skis. Some time ago he lent me a pair of Kästle MX 84s, which I liked very much. His recommendations for me include the Kästle MX 74s (says they will be better in typical hard pack, New England conditions), and his top recommendation is the Blossom White Out.

I looked around online to see what these skis would cost and both are in $800 to $1,000 range once you add a set of bindings and shipping. This is a lot for a pair of skis, but I could afford them. I noticed that none of the local ski shops seem to carry these models (or Blossom at all) and the only way you can find a pair is online. Even there, there are only a few suppliers listing them. I’d rather buy from a reliable store, but I suspect that would be hard to do.

My question is: What other models would be comparable, less expensive and more available?
$199
These would feel right at home back east.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Head eRally would be a nice easy turn ski that would check all your boxes and not break the bank. Renoun Atlas if you want to spend more and buy local
I agree the Head Rally is a fine NE ski, I have had mine a few years now and no complaints, mine are i Rally not the e Rally. The OP is younger than I am and I no longer ski bumps. They do hold very well on the east coast ICE they are 76 in the middle but if you want a little wider the Head Titan is also a very good option at 80mm in the middle. I have skied both and the Rally is a little less demanding than the Titan but for the younger OP it may be a great choice as well.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll sell you a brand new pair of White Outs in the 170 cm length with Grip Walk compatible Speed Com bindings for $600 plus shipping. If this is the right size ski for you, you will not need to redrill the bindings. I only took one run on them. I don't need them because I love my Stöckli AXs.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Older (74) Killington skier here. Agree with the recommendation on the Head Rally. I came very close to buying a pair after a demo. A later demo of the Head V8 followed by the Rally convinced me the V8 was a better match for me. Less expensive, but with almost all the performance of the Rally. If you can find a leftover V8 or Rally a a good discount, I would grab them. I got my V8s for $475 at a spring clearance sale.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Other contenders Fischer WC SC, Fischer Curve, Fischer Curve Booster, Head Supershape i or e speed (several variants), Head Supershape i or e Magnum, Blizzard Firebird SRC. A few others I'm not that familiar with. Basically look for an expert level ski with around 13 m to 15 m side-cut turn radius at 165 cm or 170 cm, with a waist around 68 mm to 76 mm, and little or no rocker or early rise.

In the meantime SHARPEN YOUR EDGES (using a 0.5 degree base bevel and 3 degree side bevel).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What length are your current skis and how long were your friend’s Kastles?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll confess that I’ve skied with ladies and kids for most of the last twenty years and my skills are not what they used to be.

Turn that around. Maybe the ladies and kids you got were the ones who took pity on an old guy whose skills are not what they used to be.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am th OP's buddy, A minor correction , he used my FX 84's 176 , not MX 84. There a a lot of ski's that fit the bill for him , I recommended the White Out's for the build quality and longevity. He won't be replacing them any time soon or ever. My feeling is that a premium ski is a better fit for him because of this. He is a solid skier that will quickly up his game with good modern ski.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A Blossom White Out would be wonderful, as would several other premium skis. However, the Liberty V76 or V82 are great choices which are currently on sale. A Head SuperShape or V8 would also be nice, as they are affordable quality skis with good performance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@CO Dreaming ...you are 68 years old and have been skiing an almost 20 year old pair of skis. You are so New England ;). Your buddy is right about the Blossom and also about the Kastles. Let the moths out of your wallet at treat yourself to either of the two betters skis on the market. All you are doing is spending your kids inheritance...if you ask them I am sure they would say "Pop, if thats what you want and what will make you happy, get them"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am th OP's buddy, A minor correction , he used my FX 84's 176 , not MX 84. There a a lot of ski's that fit the bill for him , I recommended the White Out's for the build quality and longevity. He won't be replacing them any time soon or ever. My feeling is that a premium ski is a better fit for him because of this. He is a solid skier that will quickly up his game with good modern ski.
You're a good buddy, and I agree with the assessment. I've seen the whole mountain open up to someone like this when a new pair of good skis is under their feet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@CO Dreaming ...you are 68 years old and have been skiing an almost 20 year old pair of skis. You are so New England ;). Your buddy is right about the Blossom and also about the Kastles. Let the moths out of your wallet at treat yourself to either of the two betters skis on the market. All you are doing is spending your kids inheritance...if you ask them I am sure they would say "Pop, if thats what you want and what will make you happy, get them"
I hope he is not spending his kids college fund?

Sponsor

Staff online