• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis For An Old Guy

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm an older east coast skier and recently purchased a pair of Elan Wingman 78 ti skis. They are grippy on ice and an easy ski all around. I like them quite a bit and at about $500 with bindings are a good value. If they have a downfall its that they lose their composure at high speed. Then I would get the cti model.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm an older east coast skier and recently purchased a pair of Elan Wingman 78 ti skis. They are grippy on ice and an easy ski all around. I like them quite a bit and at about $500 with bindings are a good value. If they have a downfall its that they lose their composure at high speed. Then I would get the cti model.

I've got the Wingman 82 cti and I endorse this statement!

The 78 could be perfect for the budget-minded OP.

Having never skied in the east, I think I'll just go ahead and recommend opening that wallet and springing for a pair of Stockli AXs. Hard to find a bad word about them when it comes to hardpack.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski at Belleayre and I have the V76 as my main ski, they are great except truly icy conditions or slushy. They don't have death grip on ice or super firm condition and they are not playful.

@Tom K. and @spoofer , what's the different between CTI and TI? Carbon is softer than TI?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. and @spoofer , what's the different between CTI and TI? Carbon is softer than TI?
Other way 'round. Since both models are relatively affordable I can't see going with the plain ti unless you're a lightweight lower intermediate or are on an extremely tight budget.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Let the pesky kids pay for their own college ;)
Growing up poor I had to pay for my own college education. Working two jobs and going to night school to accomplish that task. But I also paid for 4 years of college for my daughter and a few classes extra for her to get her BS-RN, but I did plan for her college education.

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier

I'va actually been looking at the Wingman cti skis and think they would make a good choice. I can get them for under $600 with a good binding and shipping. What length did you go with? I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I ski at about a 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale and am thinking the 178s might be better than the 172s.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'va actually been looking at the Wingman cti skis and think they would make a good choice. I can get them for under $600 with a good binding and shipping. What length did you go with? I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I ski at about a 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale and am thinking the 178s might be better than the 172s.
Agree. I'm 5' 7" 140, on the 172.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I agree the Head Rally is a fine NE ski, I have had mine a few years now and no complaints, mine are i Rally not the e Rally. The OP is younger than I am and I no longer ski bumps. They do hold very well on the east coast ICE they are 76 in the middle but if you want a little wider the Head Titan is also a very good option at 80mm in the middle. I have skied both and the Rally is a little less demanding than the Titan but for the younger OP it may be a great choice as well.

For the OP, there are pretty notable differences between the iRally/iTitan and the new eRally/Titan. FWIW, the eRally is a very good, versatile, front side ski. I've seen a couple members here say they have no edge grip. That has NOT been my experience at all. They do IMHO need a bit less aggressive base structure than the factory ships, and 1 and 3 edge bevel works well!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Have not skied the e.Rally yet, but all the other "e" skis I've tried have worked well so far--in many cases superior to the "i" versions they replaced.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I ski at about a 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale and am thinking the 178s might be better than the 172s.
178cm is the correct length, imo as a former rental tech.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
That's quite a offer you listed, but too short for me. I need about a 175cm ski. I'll poke around the site, though. They have some unique stuff.
They had 179s when I posted it.
It's a snooze you lose deal.

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
They had 179s when I posted it.
It's a snooze you lose deal.
I was unfamiliar with Liberty until I followed up on your post. The V76 gets excellent reviews. There are 172 and 179cm lenths available for the V76, but not for $199. Those are $299, no bindings but with free shipping. That's still a good deal but the Wingmans, all in for $580, are still attracting me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Have not skied the e.Rally yet, but all the other "e" skis I've tried have worked well so far--in many cases superior to the "i" versions they replaced.
I have only skied the "i" not the "e" and I guess there is always room for improvement.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was unfamiliar with Liberty until I followed up on your post. The V76 gets excellent reviews. There are 172 and 179cm lenths available for the V76, but not for $199. Those are $299, no bindings but with free shipping. That's still a good deal but the Wingmans, all in for $580, are still attracting me.
You could potentially ski that in a 179.
I skied it in a 165 and 172, enjoyed both.
I tend to ski something in the mid 160s to low 170s

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January