• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis For An Old Guy

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While it wasn't mentioned by the OP, I'm surprised o one has brought the usual first question: Boot's - brand/model? Age? Condition? fit? Given that the current skis are 17 YO, I'm guessing that the boots are also in need of updating, ideally at the same time?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 68 I hope it would be the grandkids college fund.

Not that anybody's judging!

I'v actually been looking at the Wingman cti sk :ogbiggrin:

6'1" and 195 pounds, western skier, loving my 82 CTi in 178. Light swing weight. Does NOT ski long.

But......if my home mountain was smaller, and these were to be groomed slope skis only, I could see considering the 172.

Glad to confuse you more! :ogbiggrin:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I was unfamiliar with Liberty until I followed up on your post. The V76 gets excellent reviews. There are 172 and 179cm lenths available for the V76, but not for $199. Those are $299, no bindings but with free shipping. That's still a good deal but the Wingmans, all in for $580, are still attracting me.
If you buy the V76, you'll always wonder. If the V76 is everything you wanted, you'll wonder if the Wingman would have been all that and more. And if the V76 is not everything you wanted....

If you buy the Wingman and it is not everything you hoped for, you'll probably shrug it off, feeling that at least you tried and you know.

Sounds as if you already know what the decision is. You just have to accept it and act on it.

So, when are they arriving?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I assumed that his friend @Brad J addressed that with him alerady if it was a need.

While it wasn't mentioned by the OP, I'm surprised o one has brought the usual first question: Boot's - brand/model? Age? Condition? fit? Given that the current skis are 17 YO, I'm guessing that the boots are also in need of updating, ideally at the same time?

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
I guess I assumed that his friend @Brad J addressed that with him alerady if it was a need.
You've outed my friend, Brad! Yes, he did get on me about my boots. I was using the Dallbello 9s that my son left at the house since my Lange Tsi (not sure on the model) split two years ago. The Dalbellos were too soft for how I ski, though the fit was good. I picked up a pair of Salomon S/Max boots and so far they seem good - extremely tight, but no ankle lift at all and no pinch points. I assume they will loosen up with a bit of wearing. They're hard to get on, especially when you have to do it at the tailgate of your vehicle. Once Covid is over they will be wonderful, LoL.

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
Other way 'round. Since both models are relatively affordable I can't see going with the plain ti unless you're a lightweight lower intermediate or are on an extremely tight budget.
I bought the Elans "cold" as I had been out of skiing for 30 years. They were recommend to me along with a pair of Rosi's based on my weight, age, ability, etc...so I have nothing to compare them to. I bought them based on looks and faith.

spoofer

Putting on skis
Skier
Not reputation , intended use , construction, materials used. I guess marketing has more effect than I give it credit for.
Yes I Did 0 research. Went on vacation to the Poconos. rented skis one day with a Buddy and then decided to buy my own and get back into it. I'm having a Ball and have skied about 15 times this Winter.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes I Did 0 research. Went on vacation to the Poconos. rented skis one day with a Buddy and then decided to buy my own and get back into it. I'm having a Ball and have skied about 15 times this Winter.
Glad your having fun , that's what its about

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'va actually been looking at the Wingman cti skis and think they would make a good choice. I can get them for under $600 with a good binding and shipping. What length did you go with? I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. I ski at about a 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale and am thinking the 178s might be better than the 172s.
178. I skied the 86s at 5'10" and 220. You'll appreciated the bit more backbone of the CTi and the bit of length.

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

Skier
@CO Dreaming ...you are 68 years old and have been skiing an almost 20 year old pair of skis. You are so New England ;). Your buddy is right about the Blossom and also about the Kastles. Let the moths out of your wallet at treat yourself to either of the two betters skis on the market. All you are doing is spending your kids inheritance...if you ask them I am sure they would say "Pop, if thats what you want and what will make you happy, get them"
Too funny. Too true.

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

Skier
@CO Dreaming Thinking about it, I would sell the White Outs for $600 and I would pay for shipping.
That's a good offer. 170cm seems a bit short, but not rediculous. My current skis are 182s. I'm 5' 10", 190lbs and ski at about 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale. What do you think? How would we do the deal?

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
170cm seems a bit short, but not rediculous. My current skis are 182s. I'm 5' 10", 190lbs and ski at about 7 on the Sugarbush 1-9 scale.
Yes, I should have inquired about what length of ski you would prefer before offering the White Outs. I do not know how the White Outs at 170 cm would be for you. So I am a bit reluctant to sell them to someone who prefers something longer.

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

Skier
I took a flyer and ordered a pair of 178 Elan Wingman 82 CTi skis. I hope to have a chance to use them this week - we are expecting heavy snow today and Tueaday. Wednesday is the likely day to get out and give them a ride. I'll report back.

Sponsor