• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis for Ice Coast Frontside

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can get last years e-Rally for about $800 CAN from most Canadian shops which will ship to the States. Every ski on your list is under $1000 with bindings if you search online for last years stock.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
True. I was hoping to keep the skis+bindings under $1000, but realizing that might not be possible with some of the skis I'm looking at, especially if I'm purchasing mid-season when nothing is on sale.
Skis sales should start soon. Certainly after the Presidents Day weekend. I almost bought Rallys twice. Late season you could find them at $600, though the issue was if they were still in stock in the size you wanted

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I LOVED My Heaven's Gates!! (they are still out in the garage (3 pair) I stayed with the series when they brought it back as the Cloud Series. I did have Cloud 11's they are just like Heaven's gates, I am now loving my Liberty 76w's they carve and are playful I've skied them on frozen firm corduroy that turned into piles of soft corn. If you can wait, My home mt Royal Mt In Caroga Lake NY has a free demo Day Feb 23rd, many brands there. 3.-3.5hr N of NYC
The BP's some like some hate- I did not like the 2023 model was stiff and not fun I tried last yr demo day. I did like older models of BP's 2019's were fun. and I have a 2015 or 16 pair I only use for spring bump skiing- I can boss them around in the slush piles, I hate them on frozen cord- the tips flap.
Last yr demo day the surprise ski was the atomic Maven 86c- light, nimble, forgiving, carved very well. (it was a frozen granular day)and I still liked the Cloud highest # think it's a 13 or 14 now. (I demo them every yr -the lower #'s are more mellow) I've also been skiing Renoun z-90's since they came out. They are my 'buick's they go thru everything except over a foot of snow, they are great for old knees like mine, but as a carver getting that 90cm over vs my Liberty 76's on a week trip can be tiring. The stockli's are a dream ski, I tried just about every pair last yr demo day and the Laser CX 69 underfoot were a blast- the Montero is a hero ski- they are $$$$$ but OMG very nice skis. Thankfully when I got back on my Liberty's I still loved them, they do ski as well as Stockli . Several of my lady friends love their Rossi Experience 88's. For refernece I'm 65, lighter than you and 5'5 been skiing forever I've been on 156-165cm since 'short ski's came in vogue. Hope you can get on some demo's technology has come a long ways, and what one person loves another hates-- and how are your boots? if old get them first- marry your boots date your skis :) Welcome to skitalk too!
Thank you! This is a great website and forum - everyone has been super helpful. Regarding boots, yeah, they're as old as my skis (2009 Nordicas). I know everyone says to buy boots first, but I think they're still in good shape and reasonably comfortable. My only issue is that my calves are bigger than they were when I bought them, and they dig into my calves badly, to the point where my muscles are super cramped the next day. Soooo, maybe I should consider replacing the whole kit. It's just such a huge investment! Ugh! I'm starting to feel like I should just demo equipment when possible this season and buy off-season so it's a little more affordable. Regarding the skis, this is all really helpful! It's great to hear from someone who also has experience on the Heaven's Gate. They have been very fun skis to own. And they're so pretty! ;-) (It's honestly funny how many comments I still get on the looks of my skis - 13 years later! But that's not the important part...) My only slight complaint about them is I feel like they could be a little better on ice, and I always feel like I catch edges hard if I hit a pile of unexpected snow on a trail (like at the end of an east coast day when the light is flat and the snow is pushed around into piles between patches of ice!)

I would looooove to come up for that demo day!! That sounds fantastic. I'll look into it and see if I can make it happen. It would be great if Stockli, Lusti, Blossom, or Liberty were there. Those are all brands I've been reading about that I haven't seen at my local ski shop. It sounds like Lusti and Blossom are only available through one US online retailer.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Skis sales should start soon. Certainly after the Presidents Day weekend. I almost bought Rallys twice. Late season you could find them at $600, though the issue was if they were still in stock in the size you wanted
Yeah, at this point, I think I'm just going to demo equipment as I go through this season and wait for the sales. The only issue I really have with my current skis is that the bindings are no longer "safe by industry standards" so I can't get the boot release checked. I honestly do not ski nearly as much as I would like, because we have kids and we live outside of NYC. I'm not in immediate need of new skis, so I can wait (and on top of that, I'm mostly just skiing greens and blues with my kids these days, nothing tough).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, at this point, I think I'm just going to demo equipment as I go through this season and wait for the sales. The only issue I really have with my current skis is that the bindings are no longer "safe by industry standards" so I can't get the boot release checked.

Find a shop that will let you sign the waiver then visually fail the bindings but still check the release.

I honestly do not ski nearly as much as I would like, because we have kids and we live outside of NYC. I'm not in immediate need of new skis, so I can wait (and on top of that, I'm mostly just skiing greens and blues with my kids these days, nothing tough).

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi all!

I need to purchase a new pair of skis after 13 years skiing on my current pair a few times per year. I'm so lost and I'm also having a hard time finding a place to demo any. I live in metro-NYC area and typically travel to Catskills, western MA, VT, or NH to ski. I've been skiing since I was 2 years old but I typically don't do the level of skiing that I'm capable of these days, because I'm hauling my kids around on the greens and blues.

That being said, my current skis are a pair of 2009 Atomic Heaven's Gate, which are higher-end carvers. They've always served me well - tight turns, snappy, fun on groomers and carvers - with the drawbacks being that they take crud and bumps hard and sometimes I feel like they don't hold on ice very well. They have a 78mm waist, but I feel like all the recommendations I'm finding for "all mountain" or even "frontside" are ranging in the 80-90mm range these days, which I've never skied on. The more I read, the more it seems like a narrower ski is better for where I'm typically skiing. The Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and the Nordica Santa Ana 88 come up repeatedly as some of the best recommendations, but they seem so much wider than what I'm used to. I'm hoping to demo one of those pairs this weekend, but we'll see.

For reference, I'm female, 5'-7", 195 lbs (trying to get that number down!), 44 years old. I'm typically skiing blues with my kids, but I still like the blacks when the conditions are good! I would categorize myself as advanced/expert on the east coast, but I don't usually push myself to "expert" anymore (probably just "advanced" by west coast standards, since I don't really have much experience out there). I prefer turns and carving over speed. Looking for some advice and model recommendations? Would like to keep the skis $650 or less (not including bindings). Bonus points if they're pretty! Particularly curious about whether the Blizzard Black Pearl 82 or the Nordica Santa Ana 84 (or Wild Belle 84) would be better options than either of the 88s.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Wow did I find these fun when I went to the recent Shaggy's demo tour. They might get a name more like their others - a place in their region. We also tried the Mohawk, Brockways and Ahmeek 95 (I have 105s). What stood out with the fun carver is aiming the tips at cruddy, hard and rotten stuff felt good compared to lots of front side skis.

You will have to wait for their summer sale or spring demo sale, maybe other promotions for that budget but Shaggy's are a great value relative to other small and custom makers. I was fine with the prices because the Thompson family was so serious about getting what is right. No made of Chinesium or some conglomerate crap. A family of engineers and craftspeople (mom Shari is co-owner) passionate about their stuff.

You want pretty? If you don't like stock graphics, they'll do about anything.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Find a shop that will let you sign the waiver then visually fail the bindings but still check the release.
Hmmm... I'll have to check around. There aren't a ton of options near me. My primary ski shop would at least do the binding check up until the industry safety recall came up (which was 12 years on my skis). The other shop near me literally will not do binding release checks on any bindings older than 5 years!!

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Wow did I find these fun when I went to the recent Shaggy's demo tour. They might get a name more like their others - a place in their region. We also tried the Mohawk, Brockways and Ahmeek 95 (I have 105s). What stood out with the fun carver is aiming the tips at cruddy, hard and rotten stuff felt good compared to lots of front side skis.

You will have to wait for their summer sale or spring demo sale, maybe other promotions for that budget but Shaggy's are a great value relative to other small and custom makers. I was fine with the prices because the Thompson family was so serious about getting what is right. No made of Chinesium or some conglomerate crap. A family of engineers and craftspeople (mom Shari is co-owner) passionate about their stuff.

You want pretty? If you don't like stock graphics, they'll do about anything.
A good friend of mine from Michigan has a pair of Shaggys! They did custom graphics for him using artwork from his brother who passed away the year before. The skis came out unbelievably beautiful. It was really touching what they were able to do for him. Agree that this would be a great company to support!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I ski the east too, except the other side of the border. My daily driver is the Rossi Hero ST Ti. It's 68 under foot. I demo's the Atomics you're talking about. The Cloud line is pretty good if you want to stick with Atomic.

Although skis are nice and blingy, boots are oh so important. Sorry, but don't even think about using those boots. The first time you pressure them to turn, they will disintegrate. The plastic is way too old. Someone here can point you to a reputable boot fitter. Or try this link: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...egion-usa-eastern-central-mid-atlantic.16792/

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although skis are nice and blingy, boots are oh so important. Sorry, but don't even think about using those boots. The first time you pressure them to turn, they will disintegrate. The plastic is way too old.

This^
You might be able to find a package deal, too.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, new boots first HOWEVER: the bindings on your skis, besides not being indemnified, won't play well with Gripwalk soles which are becoming the standard on many (most?) recreational boots. You may find Alpine soles for some of the newer boots but not all. Just one more thing to canoodle on.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want a demo day, try Potter Bros in the Snowshed Lodge at Killington. We use them for our season tune, so my wife demoed a bunch of women's fronside and all mtn skis. She bought Faction Dictator 1.0X but liked the Head Super Joy as a frontside ski. She did not like the Black Pearl despite it being the best selling women's ski, so, yeah, demo...

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
I ski the east too, except the other side of the border. My daily driver is the Rossi Hero ST Ti. It's 68 under foot. I demo's the Atomics you're talking about. The Cloud line is pretty good if you want to stick with Atomic.

Although skis are nice and blingy, boots are oh so important. Sorry, but don't even think about using those boots. The first time you pressure them to turn, they will disintegrate. The plastic is way too old. Someone here can point you to a reputable boot fitter. Or try this link: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...egion-usa-eastern-central-mid-atlantic.16792/
Yeah, realizing I should get new boots, too. They've been fine so far this season, but true that they could go at any time.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Plus if she gets new boots, they won't work on adjusting the old bindings to the new boots. Basically, she's going to have to get an entirely new set up here. Ouch.
Yes, realizing now I definitely need to do all new. I think I'll just ride out this season with what I have, try to demo as much as I can, and then buy off season. Right now I'm basically just cruising down greens and easy blues with my kids all. day. long. so there's not really a reason I HAVE to get new stuff right this second.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
If you want a demo day, try Potter Bros in the Snowshed Lodge at Killington. We use them for our season tune, so my wife demoed a bunch of women's fronside and all mtn skis. She bought Faction Dictator 1.0X but liked the Head Super Joy as a frontside ski. She did not like the Black Pearl despite it being the best selling women's ski, so, yeah, demo...
Yeah, I'm thinking the Black Pearl 88 and the Santa Ana 88 are better as all mountain skis for out west, where you've got good snow more frequently. After doing lots of research over the past two days, I've realized the skiing I typically do really lends itself to a narrow waist carver/frontside ski, similar to what I already have! There's a Potter Bros store at Jiminy Peak, where I'm headed this weekend. I plan to demo from them while I'm there, and I'll check with them to see if they have any demo days coming up. Thanks!

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Plus if she gets new boots, they won't work on adjusting the old bindings to the new boots. Basically, she's going to have to get an entirely new set up here. Ouch.
Yup, realizing that. Thinking I'll save up until off-season and bang everything out at once!

Sponsor

Staff online