• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New skis for my wife - strong intermediate

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I don't think you will find the new AS available for demo even next year as easily as the AX, so you may need to set expectations to just get a demo with AX. They didn't have any at the stockli tent I went to today for example.

SX maybe available if you need a different flavor to racier. The demo sx I tried was on a plate for example, while the ax was on strives.

I don't feel the ar is what you are looking for
@raytseng - I agree that I am not interested in the AR, I will try to get a pair of demo AX in April. Perhaps, I might be successful finding the new AS.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree regarding my wife, the e-rally is the way go her.

For me, I do have a choice between the e-rally, 163 cm 132/78/114, 12.8 turn radius. I might consider Stöckli Montero AS or AX, but I am open to suggestions. The front-side skis are for firm to soft groomers, spring re-frozen snow, some bumps, and thrashed groomers. FYI, I live in interior B.C.

Hold on.Look at the title of this thread. All of a sudden you need new ski as well? :geek:

No #metoo - ing mister, ladies first!:roflmao:

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Hold on.Look at the title of this thread. All of a sudden you need new ski as well? :geek:

No #metoo - ing mister, ladies first!:roflmao:
A not so subtle thread drift. @Tony Storaro is on the mark. My wife is purchasing the e-rally with protector bindings. If she had used narrow skis, her technique would have progressed much faster.

Now, I am in the mix for a groomer ski. I ski more or groomers than I prefer, so why not get a ski that is designed for such conditions.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, I am in the mix for a groomer ski. I ski more or groomers than I prefer, so why not get a ski that is designed for such conditions.

Something sub-70 for sure. Depends on your definition of groomers of course.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2024 Montero AS would have the most similar shape with a more reasonable front. They all come from the factory with like a 1.3deg base bevel. Which most here find confounding and egregious but can be changed.

They dont. I have never received a pair of Stocklis with base above 1.

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Something sub-70 for sure. Depends on your definition of groomers of course.
I will use the skis on firm and soft groomers, bumps (hard and soft), and end of the day skied out groomers in B.C. My turn shape is mostly short radius, but I on occasion, open up the skis for a mid-long radius turn. I would consider myself an active skier with some finesse - i weigh 145 lb and 5’8” as I get older. On powder days, I use for wide skis and split my time touring and in-area skiing. I ski a total of 80+ days a year, including spring and summer skiing in glaciated terrain.

Based on my limited experience, i was planning on purchasimg the Supershape e-rally, but decided to raise an ”orange flag” flag and ask about Stöckli ski, say the new Montero AS,or AX ski (unfortunately I missed demo day in the Pac NW/Mission and Intermounain/Snowbasin.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will use the skis on firm and soft groomers, bumps (hard and soft), and end of the day skied out groomers in B.C. My turn shape is mostly short radius, but I on occasion, open up the skis for a mid-long radius turn. I would consider myself an active skier with some finesse - i weigh 145 lb and 5’8” as I get older. On powder days, I use for wide skis and split my time touring and in-area skiing. I ski a total of 80+ days a year, including spring and summer skiing in glaciated terrain.

Based on my limited experience, i was planning on purchasimg the Supershape e-rally, but decided to raise an ”orange flag” flag and ask about Stöckli ski, say the new Montero AS,or AX ski (unfortunately I missed demo day in the Pac NW/Mission and Intermounain/Snowbasin.
Havent read anything on AS yet, they are supposedly better performing AX. How good will these be in bumps I will never know, we dont do that here.

Plenty of AX owners here tho so I am sure someone will chime in.

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Havent read anything on AS yet, they are supposedly better performing AX. How good will these be in bumps I will never know, we dont do that here.

Plenty of AX owners here tho so I am sure someone will chime in.
Bumps are not a big consideration. Using 164 cm skis, I can turn on the top if the bump if needed.

AdkBill

Booting up
Skier

Because I'm very similar dimensions to you, ski ~70 da/yr, an advanced skier in the Northeast who purchased 163 Head e-Rallies nearly 2 years ago, let me add to the topic drift here, from my experience.
a) like them very much; they have helped improve my form and learn higher edge angles and hi-G turns.
b) initially they seemed too "nervous" but
I now tune mine 1/2 with tip and tail edges softened about 2 inches on running surface. (whether I've simply gotten used to the skis or this softening makes a difference I can't say)
c) some may claim my 163s too short, but when I've decided to latch onto an ex-NASTAR friend, at top speed they haven't scared me. I'd presumed the E feature was marketing hype but I think there is validity.
d) not good in firm moguls; probably too stiff for my weight. I own rockered 161 Kastle FX 86s which work better there.

Your thread has been interesting and I look forward to learning what skis you choose.

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
@AdkBill - nice post. I am a bit confused on your edge tune. Can you explain it a bit more throughly.

After using a borrowed i-rally 170, I decided on the 163 e-rally. I was a bit worried about the 12.8m turn radius, but I was assured that the skis are fine with short/ and medium radius turns. With respect to size, FIS slalom skis are 165cm, so I am comfortable using a similar length ski. My wife decided to purchase a Head Shape V8, 156 cm. She decided that the i-rally skis were a bit to stiff and the Shape V8 might be a better choice. The only issue is the 10.8m turn radius. That seems a bit challenging for different turn shapes.

Do you know if Head will change the Super Shape or Shape skis for 2023-2024.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the older, yellow, AXs. Different skier size and territory. (Small and Rockies)

But I can attest to them being excellent in hard and soft bumps. They can pretty much do it all. The only exception I have found where they are not so much fun is in chopped up, set up or wet deepish snow where they tend to get deflected. Deeper, lighter snow or more consistent snow is not a problem. Perhaps the Montero version has corrected for that.

TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I have the older, yellow, AXs. Different skier size and territory. (Small and Rockies)

But I can attest to them being excellent in hard and soft bumps. They can pretty much do it all. The only exception I have found where they are not so much fun is in chopped up, set up or wet deepish snow where they tend to get deflected. Deeper, lighter snow or more consistent snow is not a problem. Perhaps the Montero version has corrected for that.
I missed industry demo at Mission Ridge, so I did not try the new Montero AS vs the AX. These skis might be an alternative on-piste ski.

Last edited:
TS
charlier

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Update - based on suggestions from ski instructors (examiners and trainers), my wife purchased a Head Shape V8 ski with protector bindings. I purchased Head e-Rally skis with protector bindings. Stöckli Montero AS seems too expensive compared with Head skis.

Edit- thank your for your ski review. Most of us thought that she did not need two layers of Ti for her skis. In the future, I might comment on backcountry ski, boot, and binding reviews.

Last edited: