• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

iceman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just got new Nordica Enforcer 100 and left at the local shop to mount bindings. The tech told me that there is no need to do the edges ("The come from the factory with base edge 1 and side edge 2...") and I won't be able to wax them until I ski a couple of times. I recall that on my older brand new skies (Rossignol )the other shop happily did the edges and waxing on the brand new skies.

Any thoughts, recommendations ? Thanks!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They will be just unless they are not. Mine skied great off of the shelf, have heard a few folks complain.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine skied perfectly out of the wrapper, but I would hot scrape and wax them. I measured mine with an SVST bevelmeter and they were 1/3 on the dot!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
No ski is perfect from the factory but some are better than others. My Enforcer 104 Free and Rustler 9s were a touch base high in certain spots and edge high in others. Did a edge tune to set the levels at 1/3 and bring down the edge high sections. Found they were pretty consistent on the edges. Hot scrapped and waxed them after that before skiing.

Could notice the base high sections underfoot when skiing them and had a few light stone grind passes done to flatten the base. After the base grind and the Enforcers were quite a bit nicer to ski. More stable yet easy to go edge/edge. Rustlers were more base high and were TRANSFORMED after a grind and edge touch up. WAY more stable and better edge grip especially in mixed conditions.

Bought 22 pairs of skis(16 brand new) in the last 7 years and not one of them wasn’t improved with a hand tune and light base grind when needed(all 22 pairs of mine needed a grind of some degree. ‍♂️)
Most are “skiable” from the factory but you are definetly not getting the full potential of that ski until it’s checked over for base flatness AND edge levels and they are corrected where needed.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Just got new Nordica Enforcer 100 and left at the local shop to mount bindings. The tech told me that there is no need to do the edges ("The come from the factory with base edge 1 and side edge 2...") and I won't be able to wax them until I ski a couple of times. I recall that on my older brand new skies (Rossignol )the other shop happily did the edges and waxing on the brand new skies.

Any thoughts, recommendations ? Thanks!

Wax the crap out of them as soon as possible. You can re-tune them anytime.
Start with the softest wax you have. Then start waxing with harder waxes.
Wax, cool, scrape, brush, repeat as many times as possible. About 5 times would be good to start. Wax after every third day or so of use.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Waxing sooner rather than later is great advice from @Jacques. I'd maybe say twice is enough, but he IS the master!

Mine were perfectly true and 1/2 right out of the wrapper, and I've kept them there.

Damn, these are good skis. The more I ski them, the more I appreciate them.

FWIW, I prefer them at minus 1 cm from the factory line (I might even be at 1.5).

Jacques

Skier
Waxing sooner rather than later is great advice from @Jacques. I'd maybe say twice is enough, but he IS the master!

Mine were perfectly true and 1/2 right out of the wrapper, and I've kept them there.

Damn, these are good skis. The more I ski them, the more I appreciate them.

FWIW, I prefer them at minus 1 cm from the factory line (I might even be at 1.5).

Twice be better than none! Anyway, the more you prepare the base, the better subsequent waxing will be. Glide, baby glide!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just got a new pair of Enforcer 93 yesterday and although the edges were close to 1/2, there were edge high areas that I flattened with a bastard file to make better but the bases are still edge high so they need some stone grinding to be flat. Would be skiable but “tiring and very locked into a turn” to ski I’m sure.
After flattening I’ll re-check the edges, brass brush/fiberex to get the speed back up on the bases and hot wax after hot scrape.

So I’m now 23 of 23 skis needing a base grind to be flat from the factory. Lol

Jacques

Skier
Just got a new pair of Enforcer 93 yesterday and although the edges were close to 1/2, there were edge high areas that I flattened with a bastard file to make better but the bases are still edge high so they need some stone grinding to be flat. Would be skiable but “tiring and very locked into a turn” to ski I’m sure.
After flattening I’ll re-check the edges, brass brush/fiberex to get the speed back up on the bases and hot wax after hot scrape.

So I’m now 23 of 23 skis needing a base grind to be flat from the factory. Lol

IDK for sure, but it dosen't seem anyone is saying a ski won't be better when good an flat.
If it's not perfect, it can still be fun.
So agree on edge high ski deal.
Although I may not stone grind to flat every pair I ski, I always do a full tune.
I find for the initial tune that many skis need an a** wipe of work. So all true^

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I bought Enforcer 93s and loved them with just a clean and wax. Bought a second pair so that I could have one in my work locker and one when I skied from home. Second pair required repeated flattening before I could put the 1/2 back on the edges. I couldn't believe the difference in condition new in the wrapper. Of course, mine are from a rep's supply rather than off a shop rack. Still love both now.