• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah NEW SNOWBIRD TRAM CABIN DAMAGED DURING INSTALLATION

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something broke.
:cool:

Visiting my hometown some years back, we went to lunch with my aunt at a restaurant located in a historic old mill building that had recently re-opened after it had burned to the ground.

My brother asked if they ever figured out what happened, to which my aunt replied, "There was a fire!"
:ogbiggrin:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I don't know what a jig back system is, but I found this on the web:

The funifor is a jig-back aerial cable technology patented by Doppelmayr that consists of two, independently operating, double-armed vehicles. The two arms give the system high wind stability. The independent operation (as opposed to standard single-cable aerial tram) is key for emergency evacuation (where one cabins can be used to evacuate the other) and for allowing the system to function, albeit at half capacity, with one cabin out of commission (such as for maintenance or repairs.)

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, I don't know what a jig back system is, but I found this on the web:

The funifor is a jig-back aerial cable technology patented by Doppelmayr that consists of two, independently operating, double-armed vehicles. The two arms give the system high wind stability. The independent operation (as opposed to standard single-cable aerial tram) is key for emergency evacuation (where one cabins can be used to evacuate the other) and for allowing the system to function, albeit at half capacity, with one cabin out of commission (such as for maintenance or repairs.)

Interesting. I was not familiar with what jig-back meant either, but I remember that the tram going to the top of the downhill course at Snowbasin was called that.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, what's the latest on this? Looks like (from recent photos on LiftBlog) they are running with one new and one old cabin.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, what's the latest on this? Looks like (from recent photos on LiftBlog) they are running with one new and one old cabin.
I was wondering this too.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just in time. a good amount of natural snow at the area:
11.5.22.Otto-6-2100x1400-ddc07984-6f3c-47c0-9f45-d2406ad482f0.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That rush job must have cost quite a premium. How long did it take to make the cabins the first time?

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That rush job must have cost quite a premium. How long did it take to make the cabins the first time?
I would be pretty sure someone's insurance would pay for it- Snowbird, Dopp, contractor- whoever.

We never got the full scoop on the story of the accident, did we?

Great year for LCC lift construction, huh? ;)

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be cool to have one of those old cabins in your man cave!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be pretty sure someone's insurance would pay for it- Snowbird, Dopp, contractor- whoever.

We never got the full scoop on the story of the accident, did we?

Great year for LCC lift construction, huh? ;)
Yup. And then the fallout is the insurance premiums go up, and then the lift tickets go up, "and the seasons go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down"