• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Subaru EV!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I think the combination of EV, Toyota collab, and warranty coverage probably flattens first-year-model woes a fair bit. It's availability I'd be wondering about.
Hmm. But Toyota has specialized in hybrid tech, not so much purely EV. But maybe my discomfort stems from a decades-ago purchase of a VW Rabbit. In addition to needing other repairs, the window handles kept falling off in our hands.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious to see how xmode works on dual electric motor drive train with no cvt.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious to see how xmode works on dual electric motor drive train with no cvt.
I wondered that too.

I’m heartened by the collaboration with Toyota.Toyota indeed been working on EV’s. The company is moving in that direction.

Hmm. But Toyota has specialized in hybrid tech, not so much purely EV. But maybe my discomfort stems from a decades-ago purchase of a VW Rabbit. In addition to needing other repairs, the window handles kept falling off in our hands.
But Toyotas aren’t Rabbits. Then again, our family’s Rabbit was great and lasted a long time. ogsmile

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Toyota has collaborated with Tesla in the past.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmm. But Toyota has specialized in hybrid tech, not so much purely EV.

Eh, if we look at that in closer detail - they've done plug-in hybrids for many years. So their engineers are not unfamiliar with systems like all-electric cabin comfort management, battery controls, suspension -and cooling- design of the battery skate, brake by wire, steering-by-wire, all-electronic stability controls.

Honestly, I reckon the big frontiers will be total energy management, aero, and usability. I reckon the Subaru shows a peak focus on that last item. The big aero changes will be from a lack of ICE - which is why I was quite interested in their smooth? floorpans.

(And yes, I did notice the extended departure edges at the top of the rear glass. I dare say that will be a trend in tuner cars, just like every boxy car had to have Lancer-style vortex generators)

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been looking at the Solterra news for a while now. As it turns out, the lease on my Forester is up at the end of January, and if a Solterra was available I might look at it. I think I will buy my Forester at the predetermined price when I started the lease, which will be about $18,000 (which seems really smart given the prices used vehicles are going for), and then looking at selling or trading in on a Solterra when I'm comfortable with the reliability.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eh, if we look at that in closer detail - they've done plug-in hybrids for many years. So their engineers are not unfamiliar with systems like all-electric cabin comfort management, battery controls, suspension -and cooling- design of the battery skate, brake by wire, steering-by-wire, all-electronic stability controls.

Honestly, I reckon the big frontiers will be total energy management, aero, and usability. I reckon the Subaru shows a peak focus on that last item. The big aero changes will be from a lack of ICE - which is why I was quite interested in their smooth? floorpans.

(And yes, I did notice the extended departure edges at the top of the rear glass. I dare say that will be a trend in tuner cars, just like every boxy car had to have Lancer-style vortex generators)
I like and trust Toyota but they're not immune from issues such as acceleration issue, but I will toss out that they learn well and avoid past issues from re-occurring better than many companies.

Does the new Subaru come with any early fed discounts or are those all by the wayside? That may sway one to consider first year risk .... of course a new platform is a big leap over a modified existing platform.

Interesting too, with parts constraints they must have been gathering up all they need unless there's a long lead time to buy one. This one's caulk full of electronics.

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
86faa70ec11dfd81.jpg

People don't remember this Toyota EV?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like and trust Toyota but they're not immune from issues such as acceleration issue, but I will toss out that they learn well and avoid past issues from re-occurring better than many companies.

Does the new Subaru come with any early fed discounts or are those all by the wayside? That may sway one to consider first year risk .... of course a new platform is a big leap over a modified existing platform.

Interesting too, with parts constraints they must have been gathering up all they need unless there's a long lead time to buy one. This one's caulk full of electronics.

from the article posted in #1
A federal tax credit incentive of up to $7,500 is available. Additional incentives, tax credits, and discounts may be available based on your location and employer. Make sure to look into your local state information about electric vehicles.