• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New to skiing

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! I go to Surrey regularly for work since my company is based in Egham. You said you booked a lesson, where?

TS
beginnerskier96

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Writing in the cold with gloves on is tough! Of course you could take notes in the lodge after the lesson. Don't overthink it (and believe me I know from overthinking!)

Just go out, enjoy the lesson, listen to what the instructor says and try to keep your balance.

Feel the bottoms of your feet and where the weight (pressure) is. Keep it off your heels, keep it more in the middle or towards the front.

Don't bend over at the waist, or lean back.

Have you ever ice skated? If you can do that, skiing will be easy.
To answer your question, yes I have as a teenager.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I second (third) the suggestion to ice skate if you can't get on the slopes regularly. When I was teaching I could always tell who the skaters were. Balance is so important in skiing and skating (inline or ice) will develop that.

The other advice is to make sure to learn at your own pace. Remember to have fun!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I had no idea there is a dry ski slope in Surrey. Depending on temps you should just need a jacket and if you have any sort of wind or athletic pant that should be fine. Definitely gloves to protect your hands when you fall. Their FAQs are pretty good.

heatherrrrz

Booting up
Skier
I'm a fairly newcomer to the sport as well, just had my first lessons last year. I've had about 3 lessons and still feel like I need another lesson before I'm fully comfortable graduating to the bigger mountains. Everyone's advice on here was great, so you don't need much more.

It's all about lessons and comfort with the sport. Don't overthink it. I had a great instructor who taught me how to slow down on the slopes, but not before I skied fast and in control, but it wasn't what I wanted to do on a slope. I wanted to ski normally and not speed down the mountain. She was laughing because she was so impressed that I managed to not freak out about how fast I was going and how in control I was, but I was scared inside lmao

James

Out There
Instructor
You need experience gliding. Ideally, you could go somewhere flat but a little slope, and a slight uphill at the end to naturally stop you so there’s no panic. Just glide down, take skis off, walk up, do it again.

You could do this in the back yard or a park, but you’re in London? Where do you even go?

TS
beginnerskier96

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
There is a outdoor ski school in Esher. I live in Sutton which is on the London/Surrey border.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Should I buy a plain notebook to use or not?
When we take notes while ski testing, we use voice memos on our phone.

Also, when you're ready to buy boots, contact @cem, if he can't do it for you, he may have a good suggestion.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Look up 'Deb Armstrong, beginner lesson #1, 2, and 3 on YouTube.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Is it a good idea to work on my own in between lessons?

Do you mean going to a hill and working/having fun in between lessons? Absolutely! I think I was suggesting earlier that you take a lesson now and then. For years to come. A good instructor will give you "homework". That's very cost effective IMHO.

You can also work on things (balance, fitness, etc) on flat-land like many suggested above.

James

Out There
Instructor
There is a outdoor ski school in Esher. I live in Sutton which is on the London/Surrey border.
So it’s plastic brushes?
I imagine it’s best when lightly raining.
Well anything sliding is good. Ideally you want a slope where your not too scared.

Snow has a much wider range of friction and give than the brushes. It can be fairly sticky esp on low angle slopes.
Any friends in Scotland near snow skiing?

TS
beginnerskier96

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Do you mean going to a hill and working/having fun in between lessons? Absolutely! I think I was suggesting earlier that you take a lesson now and then. For years to come. A good instructor will give you "homework". That's very cost effective IMHO.

You can also work on things (balance, fitness, etc) on flat-land like many suggested above.
Yes! I plan to do some practice out of lesson time.

TS
beginnerskier96

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
So it’s plastic brushes?
I imagine it’s best when lightly raining.
Well anything sliding is good. Ideally you want a slope where your not too scared.

Snow has a much wider range of friction and give than the brushes. It can be fairly sticky esp on low angle slopes.
Any friends in Scotland near snow skiing?
No unfortunately!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Look up 'Deb Armstrong, beginner lesson #1, 2, and 3 on YouTube.

I'm a huge fan of Deb's videos.

In Part 2 she focuses on a braking wedge (she calls it a gliding wedge) but she's using the wedge to slow down. She even calls it a Snow Plow in Part 1. This to my understanding goes against PSIA training.

In Part 3 she stresses putting more weight on the turning ski, again something PSIA doesn't want us to stress, they want it all to be steering/turn shape and using gravity to slow down.

The student does way better than any first timer I've every taught btw.

So to me she's teaching more the way instructors used to teach, which worked for many years, but which would fail any teaching exam these days.

Thoughts?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As mentioned decent dry clothing makes it a lot easier to get started. You are going to roll around in the snow a little being comfortable makes it a lot more enjoyable.
Rent your equipment for starters and when you are the fit of the boots is the critical part close fitting all over but not putting your feet to sleep Many of us have spent silly amounts of money to get what I consider as concrete bedroom slippers. The only thing you want to be able to do is wiggle your toes a little and not be touching the end with your toes.
This sport is all about adaptive balance, no surprise. There is some truth to the jokes about yoga, doing some balance exercises will help you. You can be as simple or complex as you want: hop up and down on one foot ten times and then the other, use a BOSA Ball at the gym. walk a railroad track or curb. It all helps.
In the end it is all about fun. Grin and giggle, don't try to over think it. Laugh with others and be ready to laugh at yourself

Sponsor

Staff online