• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New to skiing

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To answer your question, yes I have as a teenager.
Wait, so you skied as a teenager? To an extent, skiing is like riding a bike, if you haven't ridden a bike could you ride one today? As they say, it's like riding a bike. ;)

You are only a beginner once and since you were one already, you have that out of the way and now you just need to get some of that initial muscle memory back and you might be surprised how fast it comes back.

My point is, relax and embrace the moment and the wind in your face.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I had no idea there is a dry ski slope in Surrey. Depending on temps you should just need a jacket and if you have any sort of wind or athletic pant that should be fine. Definitely gloves to protect your hands when you fall. Their FAQs are pretty good.

Cool. You'll be fine. Instructors at dry slopes know what they are doing with beginners/restarters and the lack of speed with the surface stops catastrophic accidents. Just don't leave thumbs out or palms open when you fall as they have a tendency to get caught in holes in the matting. Gardening gloves are fine and jeans work well if the slope isn't too wet on the anti-abrasion front.

BTW I live maybe 10 miles from you tops if you are in Sutton. I learnt both to ski and snowboard on plastic. Snow is a doddle after you've mastered the Dendix, it's a lot slippier and more uniform.

No to notebook - you need to be concentrating on the lesson not cramming for a future exam - a lot of what lessons teach you is getting a feel for skis and an understanding of how what you do affects the way the ski makes you move. It isn't prescriptive rote learning.
Don't worry about rentals - the dry slope will sort all that out or the nearest shop when you do travel to the alps.
But as others have said the most important thing is enjoy - make sure you laugh at all your failures and celebrate your little triumphs. I sometimes envy beginners - they can get the most fun out of a day when po-faced "experts" are throwing tantrums about how conditions sucked.

Last edited:

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
96 where are you? Above all try to go on a decent weather day. Take lesson lst thing. You will learn how to balance, stop,turn, get up, how to fall and use a lift. Plenty for your lst day. Sure take a small notebook but leave it in your pocket when you go into lodge then get it out and write down important stuff.

I take a lesson every year and write down important stuff. I got it (notes) out yesterday and reviewed them for this year and I have been skiing for 50 yrs.

Good luck, good attitude you will have fun.

Sponsor

Staff online