• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Zealand summer training returns!

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
The Rookie Academy in the south Island is the premiere southern hemisphere training in the world. Originally organized to train instructors, due to Covid it opened up last year to New Zealand non-instructors and has decided to continue letting non-instructors from around the world attend again this season!

Instructors who take the courses have the traditional three-week advanced camps to choose from, but all participants can choose one week or one day. Many of the top coaches from around the world are employed. These include Tom Gellie, JF Beaulieu, Takao Maruyama, Reilly McGlashan, Jonathan Ballou, Tim Cafe, Sebastien Michel, and many others. Highly recommended! (Oh, and Tom Gellie has a great podcast on the Rookies on his Big Picture podcast site.)

Lastly, when you look at the cost, remember that $1,000 NZ only costs you $690 US!

Last edited:

Charlie don't surf

Booting up
Skier
Hi Mike,

The $1,000 NZ course according to the Rookie Academy website is comprised of 4 half days (3hrs per day).

Do you know what the student/instructor ratio is ?

Also, any idea what the cost would be to rent skis ?

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Usually there are six or so folks to a group. Ski rentals are pretty reasonable, probably about $45 per day; less for multiple days. Hope you can make it! You’ll love the experience!

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hope you can make it! Air fares are still in flux, but starting to drop. I'd suggest waiting to book flights until late May.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Booked my flights yesterday. Instructor Advanced Camp August 15-September 2. Non-instructor camps and single-day coaching still available July through August. Hope I get to meet some of you there!

Best!
Mike
I hope to do a non-instructor camp one season.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Super September camps sound, well, super!

Sponsor