• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Newly addicted skier from Spanish Pyrenees

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Brilliant PChewn. I want to get up there. It's where all the freeskiers go (as well as Spanish aristocrats). It's a longer drive though. I normally go in the more easterly Catalan resorts (Núria, Vallter 2000, La Molina), but we did 2 days in a place called Ordino Arcalis in Andorra in March and that was a completely new level. Better snow, less crowds, incredible scenery, faster lifts, runs just at our level. And fairly cheap too!
WOW La Molina! I haven't heard that name for years! I spent many days in my youth skiing there while living in Barca. You are fortunate to live in such an amazing place whose history remains in the throws of development. The Catalans are a very proud and industrious people. How's your Catalan? I lived up near Tibidabo and another time near Parque Guell. Many interesting nights on The Ramblas, hiking around los Pirineos and up and around Arenys De Mar on the coast. Love it! Welcome to Pugski!

James

Out There
Instructor
Luz saint Sauveur. There because i like skiing steep couloirs and the ski resort, bareges/la mongie has tons of them, more than anywhere else in the world.
Look at
Couloirquest.com, my wife's website.
Fly to Lourdes?
How was snow this season?

Found this on Pic du Midi

You can see the ocean from up there??

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fly to Lourdes?
How was snow this season?

Found this on Pic du Midi

You can see the ocean from up there??
Not a good year. But, big storm early January, then it stayed cold and we skied untracked couloirs in powder till March 1st.

Most couloirs I've ever seen in one place and nobody skis them.

Couloirquest.com

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
giphy.gif

welcome!!!

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
WOW La Molina! I haven't heard that name for years! I spent many days in my youth skiing there while living in Barca. You are fortunate to live in such an amazing place whose history remains in the throws of development. The Catalans are a very proud and industrious people. How's your Catalan? I lived up near Tibidabo and another time near Parque Guell. Many interesting nights on The Ramblas, hiking around los Pirineos and up and around Arenys De Mar on the coast. Love it! Welcome to Pugski!
Thanks Yo Momma. Yes, really nice place to live. I'm in Sant Cugat, so down the other side of Collserola from Tibidabo. La Molina has got some really good runs, but it got really crowded the days we were up there. I'll try and get up there mid-week next season:)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Yo Momma. Yes, really nice place to live. I'm in Sant Cugat, so down the other side of Collserola from Tibidabo. La Molina has got some really good runs, but it got really crowded the days we were up there. I'll try and get up there mid-week next season:)
WOW I know Sant Cugat very well! Small world! One of my Spanish "Brothers" lived there and we visited them all the time. He's a theater director amongst other things now and has been pretty well known as one of a family of comic book and Marvel/Disney artists (Familia apellido... Polls Borrell) . I'm not sure if he still lives in San Cugat but they were my family while living in Barcelona. If you know him via the description, PM me! :) Are you and Art aficionado?

Yes La Molina ALWAYS had epic crowds. Did you ever take the train up there to ski? THAT was a Cultural experience and then some...... Cafe con Cognac THAT early in the morning!!! OMG We were so YOUNG! Ha ha ha .........

Last edited:
TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
WOW I know Sant Cugat very well! Small world! One of my Spanish "Brothers" lived there and we visited them all the time. He's a theater director amongst other things now and has been pretty well known as one of a family of comic book and Marvel/Disney artists (Familia apellido... Polls Borrell) . I'm not sure if he still lives in San Cugat but they were my family while living in Barcelona. If you know him via the description, PM me! :) Are you and Art aficionado?

Yes La Molina ALWAYS had epic crowds. Did you ever take the train up there to ski? THAT was a Cultural experience and then some...... Cafe con Cognac THAT early in the morning!!! OMG We were so YOUNG! Ha ha ha .........
Small world indeed! Don't know the name you mention. Never trained it up to La Molina to ski, though done a lot of travelling on that train line in summer (Ribes de Freser, Puigcerdà). It's too much hassle to train it into BCN and then back out, and it takes about 4 hours from BCN to La Molina. The first skiers in Spain in the 1920s used to get the train to La Molina from BCN and it took them 5 hours. A 100 years on and it's only got 20 minutes quicker apparently:doh: Love the carajillos like, but not sure my liver agrees. When were you living over her?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Small world indeed! Don't know the name you mention. Never trained it up to La Molina to ski, though done a lot of travelling on that train line in summer (Ribes de Freser, Puigcerdà). It's too much hassle to train it into BCN and then back out, and it takes about 4 hours from BCN to La Molina. The first skiers in Spain in the 1920s used to get the train to La Molina from BCN and it took them 5 hours. A 100 years on and it's only got 20 minutes quicker apparently:doh: Love the carajillos like, but not sure my liver agrees. When were you living over her?
I first lived there during junior year in HS (Deerfield Academy) 77/78'. Only 2 years after the death of Franco. The SYA program was in it's early days compared to now. Not quite as "polished" as it is now, and a bit rougher around the edges back then. https://www.sya.org/

I witnessed the Joglas Theater riots first hand right from the big main bar at the top of the Ramblas & Plaza Catalunya ..... bombs, fires, rubber bullets and all.... and witnessed an INTENSE encounter between the Guardia Civil and Basque Separatists in San Sebastian. They got us outta there the next morning. I'll never forget that experience....The Basque's made growing up in the South Bronx look like a cake walk!

I was back and forth between the U.S. and Spain until well into the mid 90's mostly w/ college (Dartmouth) spending lots of time in Andorra, Sitges, Formentera, Granada, Barcelona and Salamanca. I studied language, history, art and literature while there.

You aren't kidding! That train to La Molina was BRUTALLY LONG! .... but fun when I was younger as were youth hostels....... Nope..... can't do that anymore... not at 61!!! LOL

How long have you been living in Catalunya?

TS
Danno Ski Dad

Danno Ski Dad

Booting up
Skier
I still use the youth hostels (at 53)! La Molina hostel is really nice. Sounds like you saw a lot while you were over here. A very interesting time to be in Spain. Have you seen the film Ocho Apellidos Vascos about life in the Basque Country? Well worth a watch.

I've been over here for about 25 years. My wife's Catalan and, I suppose, IMG_0054.JPG my daughter is too, though a bit British as well. Did you ski in Andorra? We went up there for a couple of days in March (Ordino-Arcalis) and I couldn't believe how good it was (see pic). .

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a bit of a film buff so I'll definitely check that out! Thanks for the recommendation. I never skied in Andorra but spent time there as a close friend lived there. It was a surreal place at the time where Catalan was spoken openly as compared to Barcelona during those times where the people remained cautious. Nice to see that has all changed.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid