• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

James

Out There
Instructor
You can rest assured it won't be blowing up because of the wife and I....
The view so far with this virus is that only 10-20% of infected people are spreading 80-90% of cases. This is the k factor, or dispersion parameter. The upshot is that most people don’t spread it, and a few spread it a lot.
It’s why gatherings are a bad idea if you want to control spread.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I
The view so far with this virus is that only 10-20% of infected people are spreading 80-90% of cases. This is the k factor, or dispersion parameter. The upshot is that most people don’t spread it, and a few spread it a lot.
@James is right, unfortunately. And the news from SoCal of staff transmission isn’t good...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well the, let's lock this thread and move on to the next...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well the, let's lock this thread and move on to the next...

Well, at some point the Gathermeisters will need to make an official decision on this year's Gathering so people can make plans. Maybe keeping the thread open until then makes sense. Personally I'm not going to be at this year's Gathering but I plan to be at the next and I only care about whether 21/22 will be at Aspen or in Utah. I'm hoping that if this year's does get canceled that we don't skip Aspen.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, at some point the Gathermeisters will need to make an official decision on this year's Gathering so people can make plans. Maybe keeping the thread open until then makes sense. Personally I'm not going to be at this year's Gathering but I plan to be at the next and I only care about whether 21/22 will be at Aspen or in Utah. I'm hoping that if this year's does get canceled that we don't skip Aspen.
I was speaking more generically about all of the typical Gatherings. And responding emotionally to the proposed 4-6 week lockdown in the news this morning, where Gatherings are the least of our concerns.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was speaking more generically about all of the typical Gatherings. And responding emotionally to the proposed 4-6 week lockdown in the news this morning, where Gatherings are the least of our concerns.

Sorry, @Marker. I wasn't trying to pick on your post. All of this sucks.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You in Seattle area?
Did you ever get a pcr test back then? It’s so early it would be interesting to know the genome of the virus if they saved the swab.
We never knew for sure we had it until my wife had foot surgery a few months later and they tested for it when they did her blood work and pre-op stuff. That’s when we first found out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maine is looking more and more like the site for the NE Gathering. If there’s anything open there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And ... just in case you were foolish enough to have been counting on ANYTHING being stable ... I just got another communication from SW about the flights to ABQ and back that I'd reserved on points just in case a miracle happened and I could see my way clear to go to Taos. They changed one from a two-leg 8.25 hour flight to a three-leg 11 hour flight. The other they changed to a FOUR-leg 13 hour flight. Uh. No. Not happening.
When I had my flight to visit Family in MIchigan booked, I had searched for it with "flexibility" in my preferences.
They changed my flight 4 times. The last time I called instead of adjusting it on line and the woman I talked to said she'd remove the flexible from my booking so that they'd stay put. I didn't have any more changes after that.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are nailing down some plans behind the scenes. Look for an announcement soon.
One thing we are talking about having Aspen 2 years in a row because this year's gathering is likely to be lean on attendance and we still don't know if it will go off without a hitch.
Thinking flexible.
Had a conversation with someone at Snowmass today.

The thing is, we don't want to encourage a huge gathering this season unless things change a lot. While we're not responsible for the decisions that all of the members make, we also don't want to encourage poor practices.
How flim flammy does that sound?

Here is the link for the last time we were at Aspen

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are nailing down some plans behind the scenes. Look for an announcement soon.
One thing we are talking about having Aspen 2 years in a row because this year's gathering is likely to be lean on attendance and we still don't know if it will go off without a hitch.
Thinking flexible.
Had a conversation with someone at Snowmass today.

The thing is, we don't want to encourage a huge gathering this season unless things change a lot. While we're not responsible for the decisions that all of the members make, we also don't want to encourage poor practices.
How flim flammy does that sound?

Here is the link for the last time we were at Aspen
That was a transitional Gathering, leaving EpicSki and arriving at Pugski. I guess you need a new transitional banner for this one....
two_sites.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was a transitional Gathering, leaving EpicSki and arriving at Pugski. I guess you need a new transitional banner for this one....
View attachment 114821
That banner is in the Pugski.....errrrrr SkiTalk shop, signed by a slew of members who were in attendance.
That lodge is at the top of the Aspen gondola, which is where we were eating lunch when we bumped into @dbostedo and @Bob Barnes.
dbostedo was a relatively new skier and booked a lesson from Bob. Good call. I could use a refresher lesson from him. E4FD2878-01A5-4A96-B57B-2A75BB108E9F.JPG

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:rolleyes:
Bad here too. Staying in my burrow for the moment.
I do have some excess vacation time that I have to use before Jan 1. If there is snow I may take a midweek December reconnaissance trip up to Saddleback to check out the new operation. You know, as a selfless act in the interest of citizen journalism.
Maine is looking more and more like the site for the NE Gathering. If there’s anything open there.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
That banner is in the Pugski.....errrrrr SkiTalk shop, signed by a slew of members who were in attendance.
That lodge is at the top of the Aspen gondola, which is where we were eating lunch when we bumped into @dbostedo and @Bob Barnes.
dbostedo was a relatively new skier and booked a lesson from Bob. Good call. I could use a refresher lesson from him. View attachment 114824

Your garage, err ski shop is way too clean and organized. You need to let me work/play in there for a few days. I could make it look "lived in".

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Your garage, err ski shop is way too clean and organized. You need to let me work/play in there for a few days. I could make it look "lived in".
I had the exact same thought! :roflmao:
To be fair that picture was taken when we were putting the garage back together after we painted it.
If it makes you feel better, I just took this snapshot of current conditions. (don't tell Phil I took a pic of it looking like this.)

IMG_4444.JPG

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
To be fair that picture was taken when we were putting the garage back together after we painted it.
If it makes you feel better, I just took this snapshot of current conditions. (don't tell Phil I took a pic of it looking like this.)

View attachment 114854

We're just jealous. ;)
This is a dream setup and it has certainly grown/improved from when I was out there many years ago. Your setup rivals many full-on ski shops!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January