• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next Season's Gatherings?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are nailing down some plans behind the scenes. Look for an announcement soon.
One thing we are talking about having Aspen 2 years in a row because this year's gathering is likely to be lean on attendance and we still don't know if it will go off without a hitch.
Thinking flexible.
Had a conversation with someone at Snowmass today.

The thing is, we don't want to encourage a huge gathering this season unless things change a lot. While we're not responsible for the decisions that all of the members make, we also don't want to encourage poor practices.
How flim flammy does that sound?

Here is the link for the last time we were at Aspen

Thanks for the update, @Tricia 2 years in a row makes sense as an approach, given the unknowns involved. As much as I love Utah I've never been to Aspen so personally I want that to be the 21/22 location.

And it's not flim-flammy; It's prudent. Besides, what's the point of a Gathering if we can't socialize?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Rent a private cat for 2 - 3 days. Around $3K / day in most locations. Private chopper $12K / day

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Rent a private cat for 2 - 3 days. Around $3K / day in most locations. Private chopper $12K / day
I thought about that but Steamboat PowderCats, where I am going this winter, wants $7200 for a day with a max of 6 people. At $3k/day I think we would be all over it.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I thought about that but Steamboat PowderCats, where I am going this winter, wants $7200 for a day with a max of 6 people. At $3k/day I think we would be all over it.

I booked a private cat for three days with Silverton Powdercats for $2500 / day. We are limiting to 6 guests. The cat can take 13, so with 6 we are cutting capacity in half.

Since we can't get to BC this winter we wanted to try and recreate a bit of that vibe. Same 6 people for three days.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not seeing a post in this thread for over a week is bumming me out making me think it is not going to happen.. I'm still planning on going although I haven't booked anything yet.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Not seeing a post in this thread for over a week is bumming me out making me think it is not going to happen.. I'm still planning on going although I haven't booked anything yet.

Hopefully you're not flying around any holidays.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, local travel only for the Holidaze. I did fly several weeks ago on vacation and it was nice with low crowds and the middle seat being empty.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

So much is unknown at this time. At least in the red level counties in CO, which is to say most all of the counties with numbers of ski hills, it feels like the air has been let out of the room. No or very limited food service. Facilities understaffed. I'm still skiing, but it just feels different. While I am not "sitting this one out", expectations are very different.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hopefully you're not flying around any holidays.

Yesterday the RDU airport was a total ghost town when I dropped my son off at 2PM. He said was there wasn't even a line at security. DFW was a little busier when he hopped through there at 6PM central. Today is probably pretty packed though..

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well me and my ski buddy George are going. We will be as careful as possible , fingers crossed. In reality we went last year to Jackson Hole with the Covid 19 brewing pretty hard, we just didn't know it.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally decided to cancel my Air BnB for the Aspen week. :( I'm concerned about the slow rollout of vaccines and the continued increases in infection rates, and hospitals being overwhelmed. And it just didn't seem like it would be as fun being in Aspen/Snowmass with the current situation. I can ski locally this season.

I did book accommodations for a trip to Bachelor with my S.O., which is within a day's driving distance, and will help justify using my Ikon Pass this year, along with unlimited access to Crystal and 7 days at Alpental/Snoqualmie.

That said, I have a good itinerary template for 21/22 already figured out, so I'm looking forward to a Gathering when we can actually gather.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One of the nice things about Aspen is their bus system and how easy it is to get from one mountain to another and around the Valley. But during a Covid season the bus system is a negative.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a great time @Brad J and sorry to hear it @David Chaus Have fun at Bachelor.

It's not surprising so many of us aren't going to the unofficial 2020-21 Gathering. COVID makes a Gathering really hard when you can't even ride the chairlift together to talk, let alone get dinner and drinks after. It definitely sucks but I hope that we have some semblance of normal next year and we can all get together again. I was disappointed to miss out on Jackson Hole last year so I'm really hoping Aspen happens in 21-22.

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last week I cancelled my VRBO reservation at Snowmass for Gathering week. The way I see it, each of us gets a certain quantum of risk tolerance per year. So if I save up my risk tolerance this year, I can do an afternoon (or maybe two!) skiing with King Grump at Taos next year. :crossfingers:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January