• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Next step from Head i-Magnum

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm 5'9, 165#, east coast skier, don't travel much right now. I ski everything, moguls and glades if condition allows, otherwise, I'm happy to carve on groomers. I've been working on improve my skiing. Currently, I ski the 2020 Head i-Magnum 170cm. I like the skis a lot. They are mellow enough for me to ski with family, yet strong enough for me to do technical skiing in ski camps. However, when I ski by myself, I do find their top end from time to time. With all the sales that's going on, I'm getting itchy thinking about moving up to the next level. From Blossom's closed out, I see Blossom N1.SL, Volkl Racetiger SL for good price. Or should I just move up to FIS SL or just for change of pace, go for mid-long turns like Head SS e-Speed or the likes.

Any suggestion?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You've got a (relatively) short radius carving ski. You could complement that with a long radius carving ski (e.g. a GS ski), and a bump ski, then you would be just about (not quite) set for East coast skiing.

Next comes a deep snow ski for those rare deep days and true speed ski. :ogbiggrin:

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Long radius, >16? What's considered as a bump ski? Don't care about powder, I always rent.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently, I ski the 2020 Head i-Magnum 170cm. I like the skis a lot. They are mellow enough for me to ski with family, yet strong enough for me to do technical skiing in ski camps. However, when I ski by myself, I do find their top end from time to time
In what way, exactly? Be more specific.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
In what way, exactly? Be more specific.
When I ski them fast, and don't know the exact speed, the tips get vague as in they don't pull me into a turn as nice, smooth and locked-in as when I ski them slower. I have to pay extra attention to make sure early tips engagement is solid.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to pay extra attention to make sure early tips engagement is solid.
Soooo, whatever it is, you can fix it with technique. All good. ;)

But yeah, @François Pugh is probably right. Ish. Without going all crazy canuck, maybe just try a ~20m Masters GS and see how that goes.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Corbett has Rossi master and Dynastar master GS. They are exactly the same right? Should
I get plates? I won’t run gates, pure free skiing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Corbett has Rossi master and Dynastar master GS. They are exactly the same right? Should
I get plates? I won’t run gates, pure free skiing.

If you wanna stick with Head, I hear a lot of good things about WC Rebels e-GS RD Pro Master. I will most probably add these to my quiver for next season. For going mach stupid without the discomfort of full blown FIS GS skis.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't find those skis anywhere in N.A.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Screenshot_20210401-182851_Chrome.jpg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I ski them fast, and don't know the exact speed, the tips get vague as in they don't pull me into a turn as nice, smooth and locked-in as when I ski them slower. I have to pay extra attention to make sure early tips engagement is solid.

Head i Magnum is a very nice ski. Forgiving but rewards a good turn.

I see suggestions for GS race skis. That would be a leap from the Magnum. It would also be less of a versatile ski, but if you only ski groomers that would be fine. Not sure what level you would rate your skiing, but you could benefit from a more supple ski (like the Magnum) - with higher performance and more range of radius. Thinking the Head i Rally. That might be nice in that it is a sweet carver plus scarving is sometime a pleasure. It's easy on the body too.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The magnum is a tight radius ski. Maybe the OP would like something like a Blizzard HRC or Head eRace Pro. 14-15m, both excellent high performance skis.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not really looking for a versatile ski. I only skied my Bushwacker (88) twice during last season. Magnum handled everything else. Honestly, if Magnum lets me to go a bigger radius, I probably would've be happy. Just looking for something that give me a bigger turns and higher speed. I don't intend to go hard every day.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Have you thought about the Head V 10 ski? From all that I have read it is a very fine ski.

TS
G

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never skied the V-shape series, aren’t they a step down from i/e series? I don’t want anything softer than my i-magnum. HRC/E-Race seems to be in the sweet spot. I'll see if I can find a deal on them. Worse case, I'll go >18M radius skis.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The V's aren't what you're looking for.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 Disruption MTI is a strong ski with about an 18-19m radius depending on length. I don't usually ski fast but did on the MTI. Eerily attached to the snow at speeds I wasn't able to approach on any other ski this season.

Sponsor

Staff online