• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freerider86

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,
Im planning a trip for next year to Alta/Snowbird around February and every hotel is either $500+ or 15 miles away. $500 is way above my budget for a hotel. Usually the hotels I stay in are 200 or less. I've been to Jackson and Whistler and in both places had hotels that I could afford. Does anyone know of any cheaper hotels around the area that dont take forever to drive to the resort? I will only going to be skiing Alta/Snowbird. Im looking for a normal hotel and $225 per night is the max I will go.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tons of cheap motels in SLC. Here's one that I frequent when skiing:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super...idvale-midvalley-salt-lake-city-area/overview

Just do the 30 min drive to LCC. (Unless you get a weekend pow day, then either get on the road at 7am or be prepared for bumper to bumper up the canyon road. ) Otherwise, yes, you're trading money for the convenience of ski in-out lodging at the resorts.

Hello,
Im planning a trip for next year to Alta/Snowbird around February and every hotel is either $500+ or 15 miles away. $500 is way above my budget for a hotel. Usually the hotels I stay in are 200 or less. I've been to Jackson and Whistler and in both places had hotels that I could afford. Does anyone know of any cheaper hotels around the area that dont take forever to drive to the resort? I will only going to be skiing Alta/Snowbird. Im looking for a normal hotel and $225 per night is the max I will go.

TS
F

Freerider86

Skier
Tons of cheap motels in SLC. Here's one that I frequent when skiing:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super...idvale-midvalley-salt-lake-city-area/overview

Just do the 30 min drive to LCC. (Unless you get a weekend pow day, then either get on the road at 7am or be prepared for bumper to bumper up the canyon road. ) Otherwise, yes, you're trading money for the convenience of ski in-out lodging at the resorts.
So there is no cheaper hotel in LCC? Is there at least a bus from SLC to LCC?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you must stay on or close to the mountain it can definitely get pricey but the beauty of skiing in UT is you don't have to. I did Snowbird on the mountain once. It was awesome. The next time we stayed closer to town, in a nicer place, for a lot less money. It was still awesome. The only possible issue is if there's a dump and they close LCC. In that case there are quite a few other choices in reasonable driving distance of SLC.

TS
F

Freerider86

Skier
If you must stay on or close to the mountain it can definitely get pricey but the beauty of skiing in UT is you don't have to. I did Snowbird on the mountain once. It was awesome. The next time we stayed closer to town, in a nicer place, for a lot less money. It was still awesome. The only possible issue is if there's a dump and they close LCC. In that case there are quite a few other choices in reasonable driving distance of SLC.
When you say town do you mean SLC? I know there are many other resorts nearby, would it be worth it to live there and just drive to Alta/Snowbird?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
When you say town do you mean SLC? I know there are many other resorts nearby, would it be worth it to live there and just drive to Alta/Snowbird?
It may have technically been Sandy but yeah.
There were 4 of us and we rented a large SUV so we had room for all our gear and wouldn't be shut out if they had the 4wd/winter tire restrictions.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So there is no cheaper hotel in LCC?

No, most likely there isn't - there aren't many hotels except those right at the resort. There are condos and townhouses though.

Are you travelling with others? If so, you may want to try VRBO and AirBnB and Flipkey next fall when the rates are out. You could split a place and get it under $200 a night per person in LCC going that route perhaps. I hunted for quite a while for this year's Gathering, looking at 2 bedroom places for 3 people. And we wound up just sucking it up and paying for Goldminer's Daughter at Alta for the convenience, since the cost wasn't much more than other options in LCC.

The other cheaper option, particularly if you're solo, is a bed in the dorm rooms at Goldminer's Daughter. Those are under $200/night, and include breakfast and dinner.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
If it's last week of Jan or first week of Feb you can probably do Snowbird for $300 a night lifts included. After that it gets much pricier.

Also don't base any prices on what's on their respective websites now. Those prices will change significantly at least for Snowbird come fall.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have always stayed in Sandy or Midvale. Especially since they hosted the Olympics there are truly a zillion hotels near I15.

Just shop around when it gets closer to your trip.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We drive though Utah quite a bit and I don't think we have had to pay more than 100/night for any motel in the Midvale area.

TS
F

Freerider86

Skier
Thanks for the reply everyone. They were helpful. I will consider staying in Sandy or Midvale. But Im really worried about the roads closing, I know Utah gets dumped on every week, will public transportation be able to drive on the road the day after a storm or during a store? The whole reason I want to ski Utah is because Ive heard so many great things about how light and awesome the powder there is and I dont want to miss even one day.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Thanks for the reply everyone. They were helpful. I will consider staying in Sandy or Midvale. But Im really worried about the roads closing, I know Utah gets dumped on every week, will public transportation be able to drive on the road the day after a storm or during a store? The whole reason I want to ski Utah is because Ive heard so many great things about how light and awesome the powder there is and I dont want to miss even one day.

Gold Miner's Daughter, dorm room, less than $200/night with high quality breakfast and dinner included.

Them's the breaks if you want to not risk being unable to get to the mountain.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A helpful link to a good twitter follow. @CanyonAlerts
http://updsl.org/page_canyonAlerts.php

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The roads do not often close and even rarer is when they close for long periods of time. Sure, it can happen but a lot of people stay in Sandy/Midvale and experience powder days.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gold Miner's Daughter, dorm room, less than $200/night with high quality breakfast and dinner included.

Them's the breaks if you want to not risk being unable to get to the mountain.

and if you're lucky it snows more than a foot, you have "inter-lodge' you can't leave the building while they avi-blast all around
AND LLC is CLOSED so YOU get First dibs on FRESH at Alta.. (or next door Snowbird)

GMD or Alta Lodge for me. splurge if you see a storm coming, it's worth it..

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I all my trips to Utah, I stayed in a hotel in the SLC suburbs near the canyons. You always have to option to park at the base of LCC and take the bus up. A good option if you don't have an AWD vehicle. Or if the canyons are closed, drive around to Park City.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Another thought is to book a spot in town in advance for the duration, and look at the forecast a couple days to a week or two out. If there are any days that might hit big *then* book a night or two at GMD (or another lodge at Alta).

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Highly recommend the dorm rooms at one of the lodges in Alta. Stayed at Peruvian last year and it was great. Made some many friends. I think all the lodges are great and most people stay at one and keep going back to the same.

Sponsor