• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

No special requests?

https://www.skiessentials.com/

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Just wondering if anyone else had issues with special requests from Ski Essentials. I bought two pair of skis over the weekend since they’re having their fall discount, and I asked for them to base grind the skis for me before sending them out. I assumed they were set up to do normal ski shop stuff since they advertise adding bindings as well. They refused to do that, but I guess I can’t complain with the discount. It’s just inconvenient for me because I’ll have to drop them off for a base grind and pick them up later, two 1 hour round trips. I realize I'm probably just the odd duck, but this had me wondering if anyone else has gotten them to do anything extra (say tuning or a fresh wax) to new skis prior to shipping.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have noticed that on some of the newer skis they offer to apply DPS phantom for $150. I think you are supposed to base grind before applying the DPS, so this is a bit odd that you couldn't ask for a base grind on any ski you bought. Maybe the grind or DPS would void the return policy? Could they resell a ski that was returned after it was ground?

https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/DPS-Phantom-2-Wax-System-Explanation

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have noticed that on some of the newer skis they offer to apply DPS phantom for $150. I think you are supposed to base grind before applying the DPS, so this is a bit odd that you couldn't ask for a base grind on any ski you bought. Maybe the grind or DPS would void the return policy? Could they resell a ski that was returned after it was ground?

https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/DPS-Phantom-2-Wax-System-Explanation
The application manual does recommend a base grind in case of oxidization, but I'm not sure whether that's even an issue for otherwise new skis. You're certainly not going to get a base grind plus Phantom for $150.

TS
nesneros

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Yes, Phantom is the exact reason I wanted the base grind. Phantom itself retails for $99 and the local places do $150 w/base grind and professional installation, but I'm familiar with the process and already have some Phantom that I got on sale.

I'm probably just being too picky, it just caught me off guard when they called and said they couldn't do a base grind. I guess it does guarantee that I get pristine skis though, even if I have to do the leg work of taking them to a shop.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Just wondering if anyone else had issues with special requests from Ski Essentials. I bought two pair of skis over the weekend since they’re having their fall discount, and I asked for them to base grind the skis for me before sending them out. I assumed they were set up to do normal ski shop stuff since they advertise adding bindings as well. They refused to do that,

I am a little bit confused. On one hand, every time I asked for help they were extremely polite, so "refusal" sounds a little bit strong a term? Or did I misread? How was the communication? I bought from the a few times, I don't recall a lot of customization options on the check out process, but it might have changed.

What always worked for me has been pinging them here ( @SkiEssentials ) with PM, and asking ahead of the order. They answer PM's right away, and they are extremely courteous and responsive. I am not sure how much customization they can / do provide, but I would ask ahead of ordering. They'll be looking for your order once you place it :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is still very early in Oct. Not really ski season yet. They may not have the machine set up to go yet.

TS
nesneros

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I am a little bit confused. On one hand, every time I asked for help they were extremely polite, so "refusal" sounds a little bit strong a term? Or did I misread? How was the communication? I bought from the a few times, I don't recall a lot of customization options on the check out process, but it might have changed.

What always worked for me has been pinging them here ( @SkiEssentials ) with PM, and asking ahead of the order. They answer PM's right away, and they are extremely courteous and responsive. I am not sure how much customization they can / do provide, but I would ask ahead of ordering. They'll be looking for your order once you place it :)

I mean, the guy on the phone was pretty friendly but he also seemed a bit busy and insisted that they don’t do it and it doesn’t need to be done, the new skis will not need that, etc. After trying to explain why, I just said “that’s fine, I can take them in and get them stone ground locally when I get them” and thanked them for the call.

Honestly I’m not entirely convinced that this wasn’t some sort of communication issue where the representative just couldn’t understand why I’d want it done, which is why I wanted to post about it somewhere. In retrospect I should have done as you say and contacted them ahead of time. I shouldn’t have assumed it would be no big deal.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Although they mount bindings I don't think specialty requests are their game with the online discount platform. If you went to their retail location in VT I bet they'd be happy to do whatever you want, but you might not get the online price!.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@nesneros - When you call @SkiEssentials you are calling the online retailer. It's in a nice big warehouse, couple offices with tons of gear and benches to mount bindings and get stuff packed to ship out. The folks are super cool, but This is not a retail location (its an online business). If you visit the retail location 'Pinnacle' on Mtn road you can walk in there and get anything you want, this is a full service shop.

Personally I think you better off getting tuning done locally to make sure its right and doesn't get ruined in shipping.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
@nesneros - When you call @SkiEssentials you are calling the online retailer. It's in a nice big warehouse, couple offices with tons of gear and benches to mount bindings and get stuff packed to ship out. The folks are super cool, but This is not a retail location (its an online business). If you visit the retail location 'Pinnacle' on Mtn road you can walk in there and get anything you want, this is a full service shop.

Personally I think you better off getting tuning done locally to make sure its right and doesn't get ruined in shipping.

That's spot on. Our retail location is a few miles away, which is where our tuning machine is located.

A specific tune is something that, technically, is possible for us to do, but not necessarily easy just in terms of the logistics of transferring a ski to Pinnacle for a tune then getting it back down here for processing and shipment.

Also, if it's for a Phantom application, you really don't need to do it on a new ski. They come from the factory with a base grind, so unless you're looking for specific edge bevels, all you're really doing is removing base material from a new ski unnecessarily. You can get a full base grind after the Phantom application without hurting its performance. Even for someone who wants specific edge bevels, I personally would recommend not doing that unless you already have quite a bit of experience skiing that specific ski. Ski engineers know what they're doing (for the most part), and I personally like to experience how a ski is intended to feel based on the opinion of the engineer before I make any adjustments to edge angles.

Yes, I try to check our PugSki PMs a few times every day. If you have a special request for an order, don't hesitate to shoot me (Jeff) a message here. I'm happy to let you know whether it's something we can or can't do, and in certain scenarios I can make special requests happen a little more easily.

PugSki is an awesome community of skiers and we enjoy supporting it and providing extra discounts and service to members here whenever possible.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
PugSki is an awesome community of skiers and we enjoy supporting it and providing extra discounts and service to members here whenever possible.

It goes both ways, Jeff. It is really nice to be able to work with a business that provides additional value. I know that I can PM you (Jeff), get suggestions based on what I need and your inventory. It is a conversation and it is so valuable. In the musical instruments world, sweetwater is like that. And I love it. You guys are my goto place for that reason.

The crazy thing is that I got some ridiculously good deals. Plus the service. Thank you guys!

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've bought plenty of stuff from ski essentials, and I've been to the old and new retails shops in the Stowe area when visiting. I've had nothing but great experiences and customer service every time.

Still enjoying the skis / bindings I got, and just got new boots from them this year as well.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, Phantom is the exact reason I wanted the base grind. Phantom itself retails for $99 and the local places do $150 w/base grind and professional installation, but I'm familiar with the process and already have some Phantom that I got on sale.

I'm probably just being too picky, it just caught me off guard when they called and said they couldn't do a base grind. I guess it does guarantee that I get pristine skis though, even if I have to do the leg work of taking them to a shop.

To repeat what was already said, Ski Essentials is a "warehouse operation" and they don't have a ski tuning machine on site. They have a "sister" retail shop in the same town that is full service and could do it. The logistics are the issue.

The point I wish to make, though, is you do not and probably should not do a base grind to a new ski before applying phantom. I have talked to DPS several times about Phantom, as I have done half a dozen of my skis. If your skis are used and or have been waxed, then a grind is recommended. If the skis are new and unwaxed, you just wasting your $$ and base material. You might want to grind them to get the tune (edge bevels) that you want, and that makes total sense. As far as new skis being tuned properly, I have found they are not, most of the time. If you poll this site, especially ex-racers who are knowledgeable about tuning, they will confirm this. There have been many threads on "Factory tunes" if you care to dig. It sounds like you have been threw this and know where you stand already.

If your going to grind anyway for specific bevels, then it probably makes sense to apply Phantom after grinding, but either way is perfectly good according to what DPS has told me. I have two skis that are getting ground soon, one is new and one is used. I am grinding the new ski because I wasn't happy with the factory tune and want it improved. I have decided to grind both, and then apply Phantom to both. I could have done the new ski, but after skiing them and measuring the tune, I knew it needed a grind.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Last edited:
TS
nesneros

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
That's spot on. Our retail location is a few miles away, which is where our tuning machine is located.

A specific tune is something that, technically, is possible for us to do, but not necessarily easy just in terms of the logistics of transferring a ski to Pinnacle for a tune then getting it back down here for processing and shipment.

Also, if it's for a Phantom application, you really don't need to do it on a new ski. They come from the factory with a base grind, so unless you're looking for specific edge bevels, all you're really doing is removing base material from a new ski unnecessarily. You can get a full base grind after the Phantom application without hurting its performance. Even for someone who wants specific edge bevels, I personally would recommend not doing that unless you already have quite a bit of experience skiing that specific ski. Ski engineers know what they're doing (for the most part), and I personally like to experience how a ski is intended to feel based on the opinion of the engineer before I make any adjustments to edge angles.

Yes, I try to check our PugSki PMs a few times every day. If you have a special request for an order, don't hesitate to shoot me (Jeff) a message here. I'm happy to let you know whether it's something we can or can't do, and in certain scenarios I can make special requests happen a little more easily.

It makes total sense, I really didn’t think about the warehouse vs ski shop angle.

As far as the base grind, most skis come with a factory wax, no? I’d much rather get a fresh base grind than dealing with stripping wax. I know the phantom instructions only “recommend” a base grind or wax stripping, but last time I stripped wax I spent a good 30 minutes rubbing the base and still getting black on the rag, so I just prefer to grind rather than wondering if I got everything sufficiently clean.

This was honestly the most off putting part of the call and the reason why I posted, that the person who called spent the time trying to convince me that I didn’t need a base grind, rather than simply explaining that the warehouse wasn’t equipped. This caused a lot of confusion and left me defensive.

At any rate, water under the bridge, but I got the skis and they’re in excellent shape. Can’t wait to try them out. Thanks for the help!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
True that getting ski work done is another errand either at home or at the mountain. A value add might be a good differentiator for online but i don't know anything about ski sale business except that as a buyer i have to balance price and service.

While we're making suggestions, some basic stuff like binding elastics and diamond stones at normal prices would be cool as an add on.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
As far as the base grind, most skis come with a factory wax, no? I’d much rather get a fresh base grind than dealing with stripping wax. I know the phantom instructions only “recommend” a base grind or wax stripping, but last time I stripped wax I spent a good 30 minutes rubbing the base and still getting black on the rag, so I just prefer to grind rather than wondering if I got everything sufficiently clean.

In our experience, and we've talked about this a lot with DPS engineers and reps, applying Phantom to the base of a ski right out of the plastic works really well. I personally have cured ~4 pairs of my own skis that way and have been very happy with the results. Psyched you got the skis and like the looks of them!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
that's a good question if skis come waxed from the factory. I would say no, and on the skis I have bought brand new, I don't think they were waxed. I am judging just by looking at them and feeling them with my hand, but I am pretty sure no wax. There are so many manufacturers, some might, some not. We have some ski company rep's on this site, they may know.

Sponsor

Staff online