• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non-FIS slalom skis for lighter skiers?

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hi, Phil! (and others!)

Hiromi and I are looking for some slalom skis we can use freeskiing on the hill and occasionally in gates.

I'm 5'10", 155 lbs.; on harder snow, love my older Dynastar Speed Course Tis
Hiromi is 5', 100 lbs.; on harder snow, loves her Head Super Joys

You've seen us ski. I'd describe both of us as smooth, finesse skiers who prefer a nimble ski over a stiff, burly one (demoed the Atomic Redster Doubledeck 3.0 SL and found it too stiff, for instance). We prefer to work with the mountain, not try to overpower it. Both of us ski at a good clip and want a quick ski that's stable at speed, but is also comfortable at slower speeds and can make a few longer turns without protesting. Got any suggestions for us?

My research suggested a few. What are your thoughts on them, and others I may be missing?

Head iSupershape Speed in shorter lengths
Head Worldcup Rebels iSL (too stiff?)
Stockli Laser SL
Volkl Racetiger SL UVO

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like the SS Speeds but the ramp on them is is pretty significant especially for a smaller boot. Head makes a "Super Junior" 155 SL ski that could be a great option for her too. The Racetiger SL UVO has a plate on it that accommodates a boot anywhere from a 260-630mm shell so for a smaller boot and smaller ski makes it blocky.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Any opinions on the Stocklis? Would the Head Worldcup Rebels be too burly for what we want? When you mention the ramp of the other Heads, are you referring to the delta of the bindings? Would the Racetiger work well for me, do you think?

Thanks again! (And the site looks great! Well done!)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mike, are we looking for you or Hiromi or both? I really like the Code's from Volkl and the Stockl SX is damn sweet too. The ramp issue with the Head is with their system bindings, especially when you get into the real small boots. While you are light, she is a featherweight and you have some different needs.

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Looking for both of us. So, for her, the Head WC Rebels SL Team Junior Ski w/ FF Pro 11 Bindings might do the trick? (She skis at a DIN of 5 and her boot is 274.)

For me, the Volkl Code with their 74 waist duplicates my Dynastar Speedcourse Tis. Don't like delta in my bindings, so if the Head binding has a lot, maybe the Volkl Racetiger SL UVO or Stockli Laser SL (not SX) would be the choices? Anything to choose between them? Thanks again for your time! Won't torment you anymore!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking for both of us. So, for her, the Head WC Rebels SL Team Junior Ski w/ FF Pro 11 Bindings might do the trick? (She skis at a DIN of 5 and her boot is 274.)

For me, the Volkl Code with their 74 waist duplicates my Dynastar Speedcourse Tis. Don't like delta in my bindings, so if the Head binding has a lot, maybe the Volkl Racetiger SL UVO or Stockli Laser SL (not SX) would be the choices? Anything to choose between them? Thanks again for your time! Won't torment you anymore!

I like Head set up for her. I think it will work well for her weight.

For you, I think the Code is a really good ski. Smooth and easy and still precise, German K2 and I mean that as a compliment. The Laser SL with the Salomon binding is OK. It is like putting a cheap all season tire on a BMW, it neuters the ski. If you are going to get the SL, do it right and get the proper race binding. The Dynastar Speedcourse Ti is a still ski and needs to be worked.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
How many days do you have on your Dynastar Speed Course TIs? That is a fantastic non-FIS ski. What size do you have?

171cm? That's what I ski on fast days and only wish I had more length for the moments I wish to break the sound barrier, but very stable on edge. It's 15M at 171cm, I think 14m at 165cm.

Unfortunately, I don't think ski manufactures are really making this type of ski anymore which kinda bugs me, because a narrow waist ski is going to be superior edge to edge when you want to lay it down.

I love my Dynastar enough that I bought a second pair. To really leverage the power of the Speed Course though you gotta work it. It wants you to drive it, and if you're not careful, it will drive you...but I like that.

My sig is w/ a pair of the old Nordica Firearrow 80 Pro...I actually think you'd love it by the sound of your type of skiing...your wife potentially as well. It was quick, but had an interesting shovel at the tips and to me didn't initiate as quickly. But it made you look good, and I saw ski instructors all the time on it. Later owned a Fire Arrow 84 EDT, crazy fast, but more of a GS ski.

Last edited: