• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Gripwalk Outsoles outta stock ?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This may be a PSA, or it just might be my particular case. Either way, I thought I'd relay my recent experience. I'm skiing in the K2 RECON 130 LV right now and I like the boot. I wanted to buy a new set of outsoles to replace the ones that came on the boot because 1) I hate dealing with cattracks now that I'm not racing and in a race boot, and 2) because of Covid we've been forced to boot up at the car ( western style ) and walk over a lot of gravel to get to the lift, sooo the OG outsoles, while still serviceable, are seeing more than the usual amount of wear. It's been quite the struggle finding the non GW large size for that boot. Plenty of GW outsoles out there. The internet search has basically come up "out of stock", and the shops that I have stopped at that sell K2 boots, all have said they have them on back order. I did find one place that had them in black, not the original orange I wanted ( the color really does not matter ), that is Corbetts.com. I ordered a set and just received them.

I don't know if this experience translates to other makes/models, but GW seems to be taking over the recreational boot landscape. So if you're rocking a non GW boot, and think you may want to keep it a while, and your outsoles are worn, buy now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, this is an issue. I keep a pair (small and large) of K2's handy because I do a lot of canting and I need the DIN soles to do assessment. I am having this issue sourcing soles for Atomic Hawks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think there are two issues here.
A. With more boots coming standard with Gripwalk, shops need to swap soles back to DIN.
2. Dealers & brands didn't anticipate that Gripwalk wouldn't be as universally accepted as it is and didn't order enough extra soles.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I very recently have new Recon 130 MV and my wife the BFC 85, both with GW standard. Fortunately Corbetts had stock for both of us and was able to pickup in person. I may just grab a backup set for myself.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
We've been able to mostly find the right sole plates for our customers this season but it's an extra headache for sure. I'm not even sure GW is that much of an improvement for the parking lot stroll for all the hassle it causes with binding compatibility.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was able to get a pair of standard K2 soles from Bergs in Oregon.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was able to get a pair of standard K2 soles from Bergs in Oregon.

Thanks for chiming in. Bergs currently only has the small in non-gripwalk. They're one of the places I had checked a few weeks back.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
For 99% of the skiing that most people do, gripwalk is not necessary. Why do boot guys think that this is needed? Seems that alpine boots should come with a din sole and have gripwalk available as an option not the other way around. Din is a better link between boot/binding/ski for hard snow and doesn't matter (i.e., not a negative) in soft snow. Maybe it's intended for all the time that people spend on the bootpack.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For 99% of the skiing that most people do, gripwalk is not necessary.
I am not sure necessary is the right word but it is appreciated but a good amount of people who ski (not so much experienced skiers).
Why do boot guys think that this is needed?
It is not the boot guys who think it is needed, it is the manufacturers that are pushing it. Most boot guys would prefer it not happen.
Seems that alpine boots should come with a din sole and have gripwalk available as an option not the other way around.
No argument from the boot guys.
Din is a better link between boot/binding/ski for hard snow and doesn't matter (i.e., not a negative) in soft snow. Maybe it's intended for all the time that people spend on the bootpack.
While hiking and bootpack are not the focus but a nice by product, tech soles are more for that. GW is for walking from the car to the lift.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
So it's basically for you peeps out West. Here in the NE we can boot up in the lodge where it's warm and comfy with the added benefit of reducing boot wear,

Plenty of lodges still discouraging booting up inside in the East! And who knows when the next wave of pandemic will shut down even more? :(

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am probably an outlier in this, but steep boot packs in my new smooth soled Raptors make me nervous. I am getting rubber outsoles and would be fine with GripWalk spec versions if they existed.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not an outlier. That should make you nervous. You can always pop a pair of crampons on your alpine boots for steep, icy climbs. Best traction ever and you don't lose the nice boot binding interface and performance of a din boot sole.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am not sure necessary is the right word but it is appreciated but a good amount of people who ski (not so much experienced skiers).

It is not the boot guys who think it is needed, it is the manufacturers that are pushing it. Most boot guys would prefer it not happen.

No argument from the boot guys.

While hiking and bootpack are not the focus but a nice by product, tech soles are more for that. GW is for walking from the car to the lift.
When I said boot guys, I was referring to boot manufacturers not shop guys. Poor choice of descriptor. It seems that going to gripwalk reduces safety and performance, for the gain of being easier to walk in in the parking lot.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m surprised someone with the right equipment hasn’t started producing them. Not a high tech item to produce and would think very profitable. I think if I need a pair bad enough I’d try to produce my own.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m surprised someone with the right equipment hasn’t started producing them. Not a high tech item to produce and would think very profitable. I think if I need a pair bad enough I’d try to produce my own.
Do you realize how many sole options there are? I would say at least 20. Now, If someone is using your sole and falls and gets hurt. You can easily be named in a lawsuit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It seems that going to gripwalk reduces safety and performance, for the gain of being easier to walk in in the parking lot.
They are better for walking on slippery surfaces so they actually increase safety in that area. As far as loss of performance, yes there is a cost at the Nth degree.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am probably an outlier in this, but steep boot packs in my new smooth soled Raptors make me nervous. I am getting rubber outsoles and would be fine with GripWalk spec versions if they existed.
Hah, I will see your "stock soles" and raise you lifter plates that truly are just flat, smooth plastic on my Raptors. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I bought cattracks last year and am very glad I did...except for the time yesterday when I tried to click in with them still on. :D

Sponsor