• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non-toe-release pin tech binding in bounds- Don't do it

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
The safest way to tour and ski hard is the CAST system, but I don't love having to carry/possibly lose binding parts on the mountain. I think the shifts are a good compromise, obviously when weight is a major consideration pin bindings are great, but that time is not inbounds.

James

Out There
Instructor
The problem is that binding designers have no incentive to come up with a better designs, since they still would only pass the same test as all the other bindings out there.
There’s that, and then the fact that once you design a “safer” binding it calls into question your other bindings.
It’s really a depressing scenario. We’ve known for some time development research paths to reduce knee strain but there’s been little progress.

Lot of good info in this thread. At the least, it makes you consider how even regular alpine bindings work.

Wonder how a say spherical or spheroid shape would work for the pins. Thirty yesrs ago thst would’ve been out for manufacturing.

It would also be beneficial to have some sort of more real world testing. The fact that all bindings, if tested at all, are tested unweighted on a bench means it’s pretty divorced from the real use. It’s likely boot sole issues and afd issues would show up more in weighted testing,

At least alpine bindings are often regularly tested before use. The test variations in a lot of new tech bindings are disturbing. The Solly Mtn with brake release failure in one test is particularly disturbing as many “reviews” highly recommend it.

Do companies even test the parts after assembling?
G3 claims they test every assembly - toes and heels (separately) Doesn’t mean the binding will function to theory, but it’s something.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

It would also be beneficial to have some sort of more real world testing. The fact that all bindings, if tested at all, are tested unweighted on a bench means it’s pretty divorced from the real use. It’s likely boot sole issues and afd issues would show up more in weighted testing,

Well, put. That is pretty much the thought I was getting at in the other thread:

James

Out There
Instructor
Appears the standards for certification have loading tests. I think testing in shops should have the loading.

The whole tech thing is just a mess given the different tech fittings in boots and the different soles.
An alpine sole and boot is quite straight foreword (I think)

See the standards-
Well as far as I see, DIN/ISO 13992:2014 would be the tech binding certification. The testing is fairly extensive for matching the number on the binding. But the leeway is 10-25% based on the test.

Of course tech bindings are a wuagmire with the different boot fittings and soles.

Lou Dawson’s summary of the published document from 2014. (These are his words) You have to pay to get the published standard-
Lou Dawson’s summary of the published document from 2014. (These are his words) You have to pay to get the published standard-
————————
1. In both alpine and ski touring binding standards, the testing procedure begins with six bindings.

2. Four out of the six bindings are randomly chosen and tested for reproducibility of release values, as well as the accuracy of the release setting scale on the binding conforming to lateral (side) and vertical (upward) torque standards in the ISO specifications. When set to the same DIN number, upward and side release have to be within 10% of each other, as well as being within 10% of the standard value.
——————

Much more here detailing all the loading tests.

The standard-

I think these are now the only tech bindings available certified by TUV:

Dynafit Rotation ST
Fritschi -
Tecton, Vipec Evo
Marker Kingpin

Sponsor

Staff online