• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic skis are the new toilet paper.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
We're completely out of snowshoes at work, and down to some real niche stuff for cross country. Feeling pretty relieved that I got nervous & bought mine over the summer.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
As an avid hiker, I bought snowshoes over the summer months figuring that I’d spend the winter snowshoeing in the mountains instead of skiing them... I didn’t count on the New England states imposing travel restrictions on each other though.

I still was able to enjoy a local jaunt on them during a recent storm here in Massachusetts. Even on that brief outing I saw other snowshoe a cross-country tracks in the snow.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We're completely out of snowshoes at work, and down to some real niche stuff for cross country. Feeling pretty relieved that I got nervous & bought mine over the summer.
We are totally out of snowshoes at work too!
* Of course, large financial institutions tend not to stock a lot of snowshoes at the best of times. :huh:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As an avid hiker, I bought snowshoes over the summer months figuring that I’d spend the winter snowshoeing in the mountains instead of skiing them... I didn’t count on the New England states imposing travel restrictions on each other though.

I still was able to enjoy a local jaunt on them during a recent storm here in Massachusetts. Even on that brief outing I saw other snowshoe a cross-country tracks in the snow.
I was regretting not having bought snowshoes the other day. Then the reality of New England meteorology hit and my regret disappeared. Now I'm just planning my retirement to Sandpoint, Idaho.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco in Reno had a ton of snowshoe setups with poles last week. Might be worth a look if you have one near you.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes.......just in the past month I have installed 20+ and we just re ordered more. (Just did 5 again today)

Just like summer...COViD is getting people outside and experiencing new activities.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes.......just in the past month I have installed 20+ and we just re ordered more. (Just did 5 again today)

Just like summer...COViD is getting people outside and experiencing new activities.

Yes, a smal sliver of silver lining on the giant hurricane

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

During our one week glimpse winter...we had made snowshoe trails on our property/back in the woods... until we woke up to this on Christmas Day....lol.

F61350CA-9029-47B8-8059-3F5DD25DCB1D.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot of them here. Probably not to your standards but the local stores have them. They are selling, but no snow on ground yet. Suppose to change starting today.

Now weights, they have been big seller. People complain about $2/lb. But that has been the normal rate and this year, they can't be kept in stock.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I just bought my first set of Nordic skis in probably 25-30 years. Our alpine ski mountain has been WAY busy this year. I joined my wife(an avid xc skier) the other day (me on rentals) and had a blast getting away from the crowds. Decided I wanted my own gear. I had to goto 3 stores to find boots/poles/bindings/skis. Luckily im 6’3”. Only skis i could find were 200+ or very very short.

Really excited to get back into some xc skiing!
-Chris

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I see piles and piles of nordic skis and poles at thrift stores.. It's the boots that are always missing from the equation there..

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I see piles and piles of nordic skis and poles at thrift stores.. It's the boots that are always missing from the equation there..
Yup. And those skis tend to be about as attractive to avid contemporary xc skiers as your average yard sale alpine gear is to SkiTalk members.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Yup. And those skis tend to be about as attractive to avid contemporary xc skiers as your average yard sale alpine gear is to SkiTalk members.

Yeah most would make good yard art, but that's about it.