• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic skis are the new toilet paper.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This probably speaks to the nasty snow we (barely) get, but I've got 18K in fresh pow on $12 Country Crowns/NNN BC, herself has 11K on $15 Silent Spiders with SNS Pilot on them, and about a dozen 3 mile/800 vert outings on $25 Karhu Pioneers/NNN BC

#zeroguiltroadskiing
#fixitwithawoodchisel
#dontaskwhattheboot+waxoutlaywas
#fluorosonlemons
#halfaninchofgraupelistotallyskiable

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This probably speaks to the nasty snow we (barely) get, but I've got 18K in fresh pow on $12 Country Crowns/NNN BC, herself has 11K on $15 Silent Spiders with SNS Pilot on them, and about a dozen 3 mile/800 vert outings on $25 Karhu Pioneers/NNN BC

#zeroguiltroadskiing
#fixitwithawoodchisel
#dontaskwhattheboot+waxoutlaywas
#fluorosonlemons
#halfaninchofgraupelistotallyskiable
Well sure. But A) You are special B) Much disqualifying evidence in the hashtags C) Cherry picked circumstance D) 18k is the xc equivalent of one or two days on the hill

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
This is true.

I managed to get some Rossignol BC 59s from La Cordée in Quebec. What lifesavers those people are, I would have genuinely lost my mind without them; since downhill skiing is now illegal in Ontario.

It seems whatever I want, there is about one of them available in North America. I worry that prices on a lot of things are going to go way up next year, according to the law of supply and demand.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It seems whatever I want, there is about one of them available in North America. I worry that prices on a lot of things are going to go way up next year, according to the law of supply and demand.

Not unwarranted.

You just know there is also going to be considerable speculation far upstream of the consumer, with hoarding, outsize or out-of-season orders and various other shenanigans that distort any sort of steadiness in the supply to the consumer.

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
Not unwarranted.

You just know there is also going to be considerable speculation far upstream of the consumer, with hoarding, outsize or out-of-season orders and various other shenanigans that distort any sort of steadiness in the supply to the consumer.

Yeah but don't worry, the government can always get involved; they're good at managing things.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah but don't worry, the government can always get involved; they're good at managing things.
tenor.gif

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
LOL! Noting many familiar posters here from the alpine forums!
These past few years I've been doing a few days xc each season, using my old Bonna 1800s and Trak Marathons. They are, surprisingly, way fun and shuffling along 'classic' is hardly equipment intensive. When you get the stride goin, the groove becomes mesmerizing and the quiet is captivating.
Went out last year and came into this century for some Rossi X-6 and Salomon Snowscapes. Love the support of the new boots, but finding the Bonnas still the fastest on a nice downhill - if I get the wax right...
This year is gonna be solely xc - and maybe a little BC, if I rent BC stuff for a few days... pushin the IKON pass to next year.
Just sprung for some Salomon 7 skates, to see how that goes...
Now with 9 ft on the ground in the Sierras, gonna be a great season! Already, planned and res'd lodging for 4 5-day trips thru mid March. Looking to go thru early May this year!
Anyone else here planning some xc in the Southern-Mid Sierras?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
using my old Bonna 1800s

:geek: :ogbiggrin::thumb:

finding the Bonnas still the fastest on a nice downhill - if I get the wax right...

You would be the absolutely perfect person - especially since California sunshine - to try a pet notion of mine.

You may be aware of UV-curable long-term base treatments like DPS Phantom or Gigaglide. You may also be aware that most of the purely alpine lot have been mixed in their reviews - there is a marginal gain over Ptex but no one is really sure how much.

My notion is that these formulations absolutely need to be tried on old XC woodies like yours.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
:geek: :ogbiggrin::thumb:

You would be the absolutely perfect person - especially since California sunshine - to try a pet notion of mine.

You may be aware of UV-curable long-term base treatments like DPS Phantom or Gigaglide. You may also be aware that most of the purely alpine lot have been mixed in their reviews - there is a marginal gain over Ptex but no one is really sure how much.

My notion is that these formulations absolutely need to be tried on old XC woodies like yours.

EEK ! :geek: not sure I'd experiment on the 1800s... sides, I have a huge can of pine tar !!! LOL !!!
and no - not aware of this stuff... quick google...
ok, $100 - so if this is some permanent application as alternative to wax - would be considered 'glide' wax. What happens when one needs to apply 'kick' wax over it? as in my woodies and any other xc 'classic' ski? Applying this to just what might be the 'glide' zones on a wax classic ski would be only consideration. But then "kick' and 'glide' zones will vary day to day and even during the day... I usually start with a smaller than expected kick zone and then add wax further, if the kick proves sketchy... and the kick zone can move fore/aft depending on the snow and expected conditions later, further out.
Trying to turn a 210 woodie into a 'skate' ski - in that length? not really worth it.
might be a consideration on a ski using skins or a no-wax having a scale or skin kick zone and clear glide zones.

but there is a good 2nd hand shop (actually 2) in Mammoth Lks, where I've seen some woodies and older no-wax in well-used' condition... often $10-$20... with 3 pins. might be worth an experiment...
not expecting the same assortment given the current COVID climate to do ANYTHING to get out of the house safely... LOL!
will report back... heading up in 7 days for a 4 day session.

Hiking trails in my area, which in the past were all my own, during the week; are now like the 405 frwy - I have to wear the mask fulltime, any time I go hiking... I guess the increased outdoor appreciation is a good thing. Except the constant chatter echoing thru the canyons is disconcerting.... Can't wait for things to open and get back to Normal... LOL! ogwink

MODS - we could use some XC and BC related smilies/emoticons - Heia!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
ok, $100 - so if this is some permanent application as alternative to wax - would be considered 'glide' wax. What happens when one needs to apply 'kick' wax over it? as in my woodies and any other xc 'classic' ski? Applying this to just what might be the 'glide' zones on a wax classic ski would be only consideration.

Ah, but don't forget that the kick zone on your average classic ski is also slippy Ptex!

I think it's just as reasonable to expect kick wax to stay in a kick pocket on top of Phantom as expecting it to stay in a kick pocket on top of HDPE. And there are no reports that Phantom actually rejects further wax being applied.

Not convinced it would be for skating skis only - but we don't have enough data. You are right that if it works it would replace pine tar. I don't think the alpine results are good enough for it to replace wax, either glide or kick.

Funny thing about chatter - I was gliding through some parkland last night and it was completely lit AND noisy from a back yard across the creek and on the other side of the valley!
IMG_20210131_192719.jpg
IMG_20210131_191542.jpg

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a pair of these along with boots and poles at Thanksgiving time. Sadly, we haven't had enough snow on the Front Range to use them but I'm up in Vail this week. My family's mountain house is right on the groomed golf course so I just got out for only my second nordict ski in my adult life and third ever. I'm happy to say I didn't fall, even when I had Ginzi leashed to my wrist. Hope to get out for a bit of a longer ski tomorrow, perhaps without the doggo so I can go longer and try some of the bigger hills on the course.

1612221017763.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Ah, but don't forget that the kick zone on your average classic ski is also slippy Ptex!

I think it's just as reasonable to expect kick wax to stay in a kick pocket on top of Phantom as expecting it to stay in a kick pocket on top of HDPE. And there are no reports that Phantom actually rejects further wax being applied.

Not convinced it would be for skating skis only - but we don't have enough data. You are right that if it works it would replace pine tar. I don't think the alpine results are good enough for it to replace wax, either glide or kick.

Funny thing about chatter - I was gliding through some parkland last night and it was completely lit AND noisy from a back yard across the creek and on the other side of the valley!
6CEDC702-8BC4-4C20-A08F-8D818DC16031.jpeg

Has all the makings of a horror film right there.

Sponsor