• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic skis are the new toilet paper.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have found that the xc boots are difficult to find. I have looked for boots for my Rossi xc skis and Look contact bindings. I even thought about replacing the bindings with a matching boot and binding because getting the boot is impossible.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
nice, that you have snow and a local ski trail! course, that all has changed for many places in the US, these past few days... opportunity for many to ski in the streets! LOL!
Lotta rain, here local, and I'm jonesin to get to the sierras. soon...
I'll see if I can get my hands on some 'test' skis to try Phantom... will also look for user comments on its use on Alpine gear.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have found that the xc boots are difficult to find. I have looked for boots for my Rossi xc skis and Look contact bindings. I even thought about replacing the bindings with a matching boot and binding because getting the boot is impossible.
... never heard of look contact system/bindings - some googling did come up with a visual... definitely different.
If the skis are worth it (ski well for you and have some further longevity) then just go with an NNN system (or compatible, like the newer Salomon Prolink) binding and boot, a solid NNN binding can be had for very reasonable cost - boots will vary. My Rossi x-6 boots are great! good performance, support and really comfy. I expect Fischer, Salomon and other brands are also nice product, if they fit well. Nothing like trying them on and skiing them, if you can. I was lucky, Mammoth/Tamarack xc center rents Rossi stuff, so I got to try them before buying... About the same cost as a good pair of hiking boots.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 2 on Nordic today. It was lovely! I wish I lived somewhere where enough snow to do this was reliable.

6802F758-AB14-44A6-8AE4-A63E14B96DEE.jpeg
966E8F95-747A-49DC-8869-34968AD7B0F4.jpeg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I picked up a pair of these along with boots and poles at Thanksgiving time. Sadly, we haven't had enough snow on the Front Range to use them but I'm up in Vail this week. My family's mountain house is right on the groomed golf course so I just got out for only my second nordict ski in my adult life and third ever. I'm happy to say I didn't fall, even when I had Ginzi leashed to my wrist. Hope to get out for a bit of a longer ski tomorrow, perhaps without the doggo so I can go longer and try some of the bigger hills on the course.

View attachment 122897

For skijoring with Chief I use a retractable leash (with about 8’ of lead) looped through a thick leather belt strapped around my midsection and a ruffwear harness. It works pretty well. This is the 2nd year we’ve been working at it and he’s starting to get the hang of it. We get cruising on the downhills
49DD650F-7B06-4CF5-AF64-D62890A17D84.jpeg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 2 on Nordic today. It was lovely! I wish I lived somewhere where enough snow to do this was reliable.
Me too. Such a fun, easy on the joints, full body workout!

My neighborhood got a rare 12" from the nor'easter. This time I prepared, put a warm air/snow temp wax, hot wax on the Fischer S-bound 78 sintered tip and tail sections and a paste wax on the fish scale center. Skied from the front door last night on the rolling hills of the neighborhood, skiing across empty streets, nobody around for a need to mask up and distance from! I ventured (trespassed), thru a few properties, came across a crazy Frank Furness looking seemingly deserted old cottage in the woods that I never knew existed belonging to and behind a beautiful old mansion higher on the hillside. My imagination ran wild with scenarios of what may've taken place there in the early 20th century! I should've taken a pix to post here, didn't think I'd be doing a "trail" report. Anyway, the municipal snowplows wrecked all of that access today and I had planed to do the hiking trails in the woods of the local park but was too beat from shoving ... maybe tomorrow if the snow holds up.

At least you're in CO, its feast or famine where I live and these days the feast ends up being a once or twice a decade event!

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
...My neighborhood got a rare 12" from the nor'easter. This time I prepared, put a warm air/snow temp wax, hot wax on the Fischer S-bound 78 sintered tip and tail sections and a paste wax on the fish scale center. Skied from the front door last night on the rolling hills of the neighborhood, skiing across empty streets, nobody around for a need to mask up and distance from! I ventured (trespassed), thru a few properties, came across a crazy Frank Furness looking seemingly deserted old cottage in the woods that I never knew existed belonging to and behind a beautiful old mansion higher on the hillside. My imagination ran wild with scenarios of what may've taken place there in the early 20th century! I should've taken a pix to post here...
XC and photography are like a glass of vino and a chunk of dark chocolate! Essentially compatible!
Let's all drop some pics here when we get out on skinnies!
I'm off to the Sierras (Tamarack XC Ctr and behind Mammoth mtn...) on Sunday for 4 days!
Having a hard time sleeping
it's like being a kid all over again... /Yogi B
LOL!
Skiing is like riding the bike, any bike. Or going for a hike, any hike - never a bad time, always come away younger than when you started.
Solid!
Yuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Back a few days from my 1st XC ski days for 20-21, at Tamarack XC Center...
Awesome time! Each day slightly different in weather, but snow conditions were consistent on the maintained trails. Off trail was very crusty, breaking through to semi-soft - like a good cheese... LOL!
So we stayed mostly on-trail, and got our feet and most importantly, lungs, conditioned... Being a sea-level dweller (tamarack Trails being at 8400 to 9000 ft), I was genuinely puffed on the 1st day - especially feeling the recent chemo session. But aside from some light-headedness, all good.
I had a 'new' pair of waxless and found 'Pay attention to the weight guide' with these newer heavy double camber skis is critical! (not up to 'skating' fitness yet...) At 152 lbs, I was just too light for the 193 and could not get the ski compressed enough for decent grip on anything not totally flat, so I need to go shorter...
But overall, an awesome 4 days for my companion, Laurie and I!
some pics.
01-Laurie-KrystalCrag-216DPI.jpg

Laurie at Lake Mary, with Crystal Crag in background

02-Laurie-ClassicStride-216DPI.jpg

Laurie hitting stride

03-Jurij-HorseshoeLk-216DPI.jpg

moi, at Horseshoe Lake ( I gotta get backpacking to those peaks, this summer...)

04-Twin-Lks-216DPI.jpg

Twin Lakes (with Hole in the Wall - small Black square in the cliff side)

05-HoleInTheWall-216DPI.jpg

Hole in the Wall, up close and personal - not quite skiable yet... needs more fill

Going back up, this coming Sunday - hope to be up to a little 'skate' time...
Thx
Yuri

Last edited:

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
:geek: :ogbiggrin::thumb:

You would be the absolutely perfect person - especially since California sunshine - to try a pet notion of mine.

You may be aware of UV-curable long-term base treatments like DPS Phantom or Gigaglide. You may also be aware that most of the purely alpine lot have been mixed in their reviews - there is a marginal gain over Ptex but no one is really sure how much.

My notion is that these formulations absolutely need to be tried on old XC woodies like yours.
Okie Dokie!
On my recent trip to Mammoth/Tamarack, I stopped at the Disabled Skiers 2nd hand store, and Lo and Behold, there was a pair of Bonna 1800s sitting there, cheap, in my size, really good shape considering the age, just waiting to be part of the 'Experiment' - I snatched them up!
Sooooo... haven't had enough time to order up the DPS Phantom or Gigaglide yet, but will do that after my next trip up, Sunday...
cantunamunch ... do you have a preference/suggestion as to which treatment I should try? DPS Phantom or Gigaglide ???
I don't really care - but would be a fun experiment...
Thx
Yuri

Sponsor

Staff online