• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

steve boros

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a pair of Dobermann's that unless I warm them up with a hair dryer I can't get them on or off. They have the lace up liners. I have tried putting the liner on outside of the boot, inside, with laces, without. The only way to get them on is to warm them up otherwise the stiff plastic will not allow for me to get my foot in the boot. Once they are on they fit good, albeit snug. Same issue then I am trying to take them off. They are cold and the boot simply will not open up enough to get my foot out.

I should add that these are a plug boot - with a 150 flex

Any bootfitters out there have some suggestions on what I can do to the boot so that I can take them on and off under "normal" conditions.

Thank you
Steve

Last edited:

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I and several other people I know use the same hairdryer method you are in order to get out. I have a small travel dryer and just open the upper cuff and let it hold the hairdryer pointing at the instep, then repeat other side. I know one person that uses a heat gun, but the potential for damage is too great for that to be recommended! IMO

Most use a heated boot bag so shells & liners are warm in the morning - and warm boots are nice to start the day with.

Other possibilities:
Enjoy a beer or two in the lodge at the end of the day, then remove boots once warmed up some.

It is possible to remove when frozen by assisting the lower overlap spreading by manually pulling apart by hand while rocking the lower leg forward to dislodge the heel; spread the upper cuff and reach down inside so the upper cuff overlaps are outside your hands and get your thumbs inside the lower clog overlap so you spread the lower with your thumbs and the upper is kept spread outside your hands. Possible but not easy, and usually accompanied by some discomfort as the heel makes its way out of the pocket and/or the lower overlap attacks your instep :)

I avoid the parking lot boot/de-boot scenario whenever possible.

Good luck!

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
The pros might know better but that sounds perfectly normal for a race plug.

I'm not in a plug, but in a 130 flex with a very smug race fit and have a very similar issue.

At the end of a day a drink with some friends in the lodge while waiting for my daughter to change out of her race gear seems to be enough time for my boots to warm up so I can take them off.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty normal Steve. The lace up liner make it worse, i usually throw away the laces on my plugs. Definitely need to have them warn to get on. Heated boot bag is a great way to do this. For taking off, I usually do it slightly differently. I usually leave the liner in and pull my foot out. When cold it does need some heat from the hairdryer though. Wouldn't be the first time I had to drive several miles with my boots still on!!! The bad news is that in my experience the Dobie is the worst of all for this :( > My Atomics and lange are not quite so bad. The worse news (for me) is that I am back in a technical (same as Dobie) plug this year.....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For putting them on? A heated boot bag. For taking them off? Extra time or hair dryer/heat gun/buddy system. It is part of the price for a boot that is close to your foot. I had one day that I could not get out of my boots at all, fortuanetly, @Tricia was with me and she drove home.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For putting them on? A heated boot bag. For taking them off? Extra time or hair dryer/heat gun/buddy system. It is part of the price for a boot that is close to your foot. I had one day that I could not get out of my boots at all, fortuanetly, @Tricia was with me and she drove home.

I drove home with one boot on one time. It was such hell getting the first one off, I just couldn't stomach doing the other: but I couldn't wait because I had to get down the hill to a parent-teacher conference. (It was a powder day, meeting wasn't until 1 pm, you know the rest ...) (And yes, the other had warmed up by the time I arrived. I did not go to the conference with one ski boot on :D )

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Dobie user here. There is no magic solution, just helpful hints. Probably one of your feet is easier to take off, do that one first, then put your forefoot on the back of the liner and pudh as hard as you can. The boot usually flies off. This is emergency technique I was shown at Starthaus. My normal technique is to spread the shell with my hands slightly to help me get out of the boot. You need to be careful pushing the cuff out of the way to get to the shell, and don't expect any miracles as far as how much you can spread the shell.

Sponsor

Staff online