• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica Enforcer Mount Point

AndyBzn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi folks. This subject has come up here and there, but I don't think it has ever been empirically resolved so thought it deserved its own thread.

A number of folks have asked about the optimal mount point for this ski, with the default answer being "on the line is fine." However, at least a few (@givethepigeye) have found the ski performs better at about 10mm behind the line. But I'm concerned this is a figment of my imagination, or variable based on snow conditions or tired legs.

The reason I ask now is that I'm pretty close to mounting (non-demo) bindings and was hoping some of you Enforcer owners with demo bindings might compare on the line with behind the line and share your thoughts. Seemed to really make the ski come alive - in other words, it's noticeable.

I'm talking about the 185.

In case it matters: 6'2", 175#, advanced, driver, Bozeman, MT.

Worth mentioning that I put laid Enforcers side-by-side with the 15/16 186 Bonafides. Remarkable how similar they are from a shape perspective. Anyway, the mount point on the Bones looked to be right about 1cm behind the Enforcer's. Interesting.

Thanks a ton! I plan on renting them this Thursday to A/B on the line vs. 1cm behind the line, but would love to hear some collective wisdom before I do something silly or waste a perfectly good ski day futzing around.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I think this is more of a preference thing and not a answer for everyone - I'm a touch heavier but same height - try it and see what you think.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I like the forward mount (on the line) for the Enflorcers. I definitely notice the slightly longer tails on them when skating to a lift--weird.

That said, part of the fun in the Enforcer is the feel you get when carving a turn--I think the mount and the flex of the ski work together here. Just my opinion though!

TS
A

AndyBzn

Skier
I like the forward mount (on the line) for the Enflorcers. I definitely notice the slightly longer tails on them when skating to a lift--weird.

That said, part of the fun in the Enforcer is the feel you get when carving a turn--I think the mount and the flex of the ski work together here. Just my opinion though!

I spent the day going back and forth between on the line and 1cm back. Pretty subtle difference, but I'd say it was definitely better at -1cm. I thought about trying -2, but ran out of time. At -1, I felt as though I had a bit more control over the ski; they felt a little less squirrely and like I could drive them a bit harder and get more performance out of them. They still felt damp and smooth. Don't think there was any negative impact. I believe they also had better tail grip on GS turns at speed (in my experience, they tend to wash out if you don't really get them on edge. Could be a skill issue, admittedly, or just my being used to an 84mm front side ski)

Anyway, I would definitely go with -1 were I to mount these today. Keep in mind, though, that I'm 6'2" and, with all my gear on, weigh in at 190. So not sure what anyone else's results would be. Would sure love to hear feedback from others, though.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine are on the way and I'm not screwing with the recommended mount point and my height and weight are similar. To me there are too many vairiables to overule Nordica. Brief testing can't encompass all circumstances and conditions and can't account for adaptation.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I spent the day going back and forth between on the line and 1cm back. Pretty subtle difference, but I'd say it was definitely better at -1cm. I thought about trying -2, but ran out of time. At -1, I felt as though I had a bit more control over the ski; they felt a little less squirrely and like I could drive them a bit harder and get more performance out of them. They still felt damp and smooth. Don't think there was any negative impact. I believe they also had better tail grip on GS turns at speed (in my experience, they tend to wash out if you don't really get them on edge. Could be a skill issue, admittedly, or just my being used to an 84mm front side ski)

Anyway, I would definitely go with -1 were I to mount these today. Keep in mind, though, that I'm 6'2" and, with all my gear on, weigh in at 190. So not sure what anyone else's results would be. Would sure love to hear feedback from others, though.

^exactly mirrors my experience. Im the same size more or less. I would have been -1, but had a hole conflict so went back a bit more - for me the difference was not subtle - like 2 different skis. They ski short anyway and probably should have 193's at our size if you like to open them up and aren't noodling around in trees all the time.

TS
A

AndyBzn

Skier
^exactly mirrors my experience. Im the same size more or less. I would have been -1, but had a hole conflict so went back a bit more - for me the difference was not subtle - like 2 different skis. They ski short anyway and probably should have 193's at our size if you like to open them up and aren't noodling around in trees all the time.
Didn't realize they made it in a 193. I'll bet you're right. I was just teasing a friend for getting skis that were too short and having to move his mount point back a cm or two to make them feel right - and here I am, doing the same thing. Haven't seen feedback from anyone skiing it in that length. Wonder how it feels. You know of anyone on that size?

TS
A

AndyBzn

Skier
Just found out the shop where I bought my 185's (still unmounted) has the 193's in stock. Wondering if I should up-size...

marc_andre_t

Skier
OK, here is my personal experience :
-Me : 210lbs, 6'3", expert skier, ex-racer, I ski a bit more forward than centered. I am not fussy, never remounted bindings before
-I skied the Enforcer 185 for 2 months mounted on the line, all sort of conditions, mostly east coast, but also Whistler.
-I am happy with the 185, but the 193 would also have been perfect
-I really like Blizzard and Atomic skis mounted on the line, even if a lot of people mount these skis +1
-I think the Enforcer is more sensitive to the mount location because of the pronounced sidecut, high camber and strong rebound (3 reasons why this ski is amazing)
-After noticing how far forward the line was compared to my other skis, I mounted the skis on the line, but with the heel piece all the way forward. That way, if I want to move back, I only need to re-drill the toe piece back.

-I have now moved my bindings 12mm behind the line, and I like it much better. I feel a significant difference :

Positives :
-The ski feels much longer, which is good for me since I sized down
-The ski engages much better on the groomers, especially high speed GS turns
-Marginally better flotation in pow, feels like it deals with crud better too
-When pressing the tips, sometime I felt I was about to go 'over the handlebars', doesn't happen anymore.

Negatives :
-Feels slightly less pivot-y, but I don't smear a lot
-Not as good in the moguls (I don't really care for moguls)
-Not as balanced for spinning or quick standing 180 on a steep angle
-Big landing don't feel as solid, the long tails were confidence inspiring
-Just slightly more tip chatter at speed, barely noticable, doesn't bother me (I know some are sensitive to chatter...)

(50% of this is in my head, and I'm exaggerating a bit to share how it feels)

.: If you sized down, skied a lot of race skis, like a bit of old school feel in your modern skis, like Brahmas/Bonafides at the line, ski agressively in all conditions, I would recommend mounting at -1cm

If you sized up, enjoy new school shapes, own park skis, spin and drop a lot, ski centered, ski a lot of moguls, smear all over, I would recommend to mount on the line.

The difference is significant, if you are thinking about moving your mount back, life is short, do it.
Also, stop obsessing with your gear, it doesn't really matter, you will get used to it either way, get out and ski.
Peace.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just found out the shop where I bought my 185's (still unmounted) has the 193's in stock. Wondering if I should up-size...

At 175 I don't think you NEED the 193. I weigh a bit more than you -- 195 -- and I would buy the 193 if it were going to be primarily a soft snow ski. If it were going to be my main or only ski, and/or I skied a lot of moguls, I would buy the 185 and mount it minus one.

I know my 193 Patrons are surprisingly easy going and quick in the bumps, but they have no metal, and are probably a bit softer than the Enforcers. Oh, and I only ski them in significant new snow.

It's been a long time since I've skied Bridger, but I was there a bunch as a kid, and my memory says it had plenty of bumps, and some of them were BIG (Bronco?).

TS
A

AndyBzn

Skier
OK, here is my personal experience :
-Me : 210lbs, 6'3", expert skier, ex-racer, I ski a bit more forward than centered. I am not fussy, never remounted bindings before
-I skied the Enforcer 185 for 2 months mounted on the line, all sort of conditions, mostly east coast, but also Whistler.
-I am happy with the 185, but the 193 would also have been perfect
-I really like Blizzard and Atomic skis mounted on the line, even if a lot of people mount these skis +1
-I think the Enforcer is more sensitive to the mount location because of the pronounced sidecut, high camber and strong rebound (3 reasons why this ski is amazing)
-After noticing how far forward the line was compared to my other skis, I mounted the skis on the line, but with the heel piece all the way forward. That way, if I want to move back, I only need to re-drill the toe piece back.

-I have now moved my bindings 12mm behind the line, and I like it much better. I feel a significant difference :

Positives :
-The ski feels much longer, which is good for me since I sized down
-The ski engages much better on the groomers, especially high speed GS turns
-Marginally better flotation in pow, feels like it deals with crud better too
-When pressing the tips, sometime I felt I was about to go 'over the handlebars', doesn't happen anymore.

Negatives :
-Feels slightly less pivot-y, but I don't smear a lot
-Not as good in the moguls (I don't really care for moguls)
-Not as balanced for spinning or quick standing 180 on a steep angle
-Big landing don't feel as solid, the long tails were confidence inspiring
-Just slightly more tip chatter at speed, barely noticable, doesn't bother me (I know some are sensitive to chatter...)

(50% of this is in my head, and I'm exaggerating a bit to share how it feels)

.: If you sized down, skied a lot of race skis, like a bit of old school feel in your modern skis, like Brahmas/Bonafides at the line, ski agressively in all conditions, I would recommend mounting at -1cm

If you sized up, enjoy new school shapes, own park skis, spin and drop a lot, ski centered, ski a lot of moguls, smear all over, I would recommend to mount on the line.

The difference is significant, if you are thinking about moving your mount back, life is short, do it.
Also, stop obsessing with your gear, it doesn't really matter, you will get used to it either way, get out and ski.
Peace.

Hi @marc_andre_t . Thanks for the awesome post. You put into clear words what it was I experienced but couldn't express. And your comment about those who like the Bones, ski aggressively, etc, pretty much describes me - and explains why I liked the ski better at -1.

My new FKS 140's arrived yesterday, having them mounted tomorrow. At -1.

TS
A

AndyBzn

Skier
At 175 I don't think you NEED the 193. I weigh a bit more than you -- 195 -- and I would buy the 193 if it were going to be primarily a soft snow ski. If it were going to be my main or only ski, and/or I skied a lot of moguls, I would buy the 185 and mount it minus one.

I know my 193 Patrons are surprisingly easy going and quick in the bumps, but they have no metal, and are probably a bit softer than the Enforcers. Oh, and I only ski them in significant new snow.

It's been a long time since I've skied Bridger, but I was there a bunch as a kid, and my memory says it had plenty of bumps, and some of them were BIG (Bronco?).
Hi Tom. Your memory of Bridger is good; Bronco does indeed get some big bumps - especially this year when we've now had 2 or 3 straight weeks with daytime temps in the 40's and no new snow for nearly as long.

I'm sticking with the 185's. I appreciate the guidance.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier

So I just got my 193s int he mail and need to mount them tonight. I sized up, can't decide if I should mount on the line or go 1cm back... I like the feel of race skis and that's what I normally ski on.

James

Out There
Instructor
So I just got my 193s int he mail and need to mount them tonight. I sized up, can't decide if I should mount on the line or go 1cm back... I like the feel of race skis and that's what I normally ski on.
I think @Josh Matta may be familiar with mount point. Are these Enforcer 100's or 93's?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Id say go back 1 on the 100 but stay there on the 93....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I mean I really do not know

I have my 185cm 93 Mounted back -2 after experimenting on a demo ski. I skied the 193cm on the line and it was fine but I know people go faster than me, and I 200lb...fairly technically skilled. There was nothing the 185 did better on the line, but the 193 felt fine on the line.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I concur... -2 on a 185 Enforcer for 200-210 lb skiers with some skills.

Sponsor

Staff online