• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica HF

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The tough thing with the Full Tilt, while the Intuition wrap is eaiser to get on than a tradtional overlap, the cables can be really pesky to line up. If you read my intial review of the HF, I normally ski in a low volume boot, the HF was actaully pretty darn good and skied much better than some medium volume options. With some patience and a good fitter, I think it is worth taking a look.

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any new reports on the HF120? I used to like the old Nordica and Salomon rear entries from a long time ago. Maybe I'd hate them now. Interested though. Wide foot here too. So in the old days I had to wear a size bigger and tightened that cable until it hurt!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any new reports on the HF120? I used to like the old Nordica and Salomon rear entries from a long time ago. Maybe I'd hate them now. Interested though. Wide foot here too. So in the old days I had to wear a size bigger and tightened that cable until it hurt!!
It's a 110 with a power strap. Skis very well for what it is.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So far I'm very pleased with the HF 120. I ended up with the Nordicas after developing Hallux Rigidus in my left great toe joint. It progressed to where I could not tolerate putting on or taking off my previous boots (Head Vector 120). I couldn't get the foot "around the bend" without extreme pain. For me the HF 120s are a Godsend! Getting them on/off is a complete non-event and their performance is great. Right now I'm skiing Sunpeaks BC (fast carving on groomers and I'm not missing my old boots at all). At the end of a long day the problem toe joint is calm and happy! I can now ski as hard and as long as I want without a thought about the bad joint......Thank you Nordica!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So far I'm very pleased with the HF 120. I ended up with the Nordicas after developing Hallux Rigidus in my left great toe joint. It progressed to where I could not tolerate putting on or taking off my previous boots (Head Vector 120). I couldn't get the foot "around the bend" without extreme pain. For me the HF 120s are a Godsend! Getting them on/off is a complete non-event and their performance is great. Right now I'm skiing Sunpeaks BC (fast carving on groomers and I'm not missing my old boots at all). At the end of a long day the problem toe joint is calm and happy! I can now ski as hard and as long as I want without a thought about the bad joint......Thank you Nordica!
You are one of the target audience for this boot. Great news it works so well for you! You should shoot an email to Nordica!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now I'm skiing Sunpeaks BC

You should ping @DanoT while you're up there!

On topic, through a circuitous route, I ended up in Nordica Speedmachine 130s this winter.

They have a co-molded softer plastic/silicone on one side of the lower clog that helps so darn much with removal of a cold boot. Easier than my skied out Hawx 130s and far easier than the lovely skiing, but almost impossible to remove Redster Club Sport 130s I started the season with (so sad those didn't work).

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's a 110 with a power strap. Skis very well for what it is.
I would even say it skis extremely well for what it is. I had a chance to use a friend's 120 HF for a day since we use the same shell size. He removed the GW sole and exchanged it for the alpine sole which allowed me to demo it since I don't have any GW bindings. Feels more like a 100 last than the claimed 102 last. Once I figured out the 2 buckle adjustments, it held my foot in very well. I was able to drive a 165 FIS SL and 188 FIS GS ski with this boot on steeper cruising runs! Plenty of edging power for the design of the boot. I was extremely impressed with it. Definitely a huge step up in technology from the rear entry boots from yesteryear. Super easy to get into. The only thing I found interesting was the liner griped my foot so well, it took a little extra effort to free my foot from the liner when removing. Which is not a bad thing since the way it was able to hold my foot in place probably explains the high performance you can get from it while skiing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would even say it skis extremely well for what it is. I had a chance to use a friend's 120 HF for a day since we use the same shell size. He removed the GW sole and exchanged it for the alpine sole which allowed me to demo it since I don't have any GW bindings. Feels more like a 100 last than the claimed 102 last. Once I figured out the 2 buckle adjustments, it held my foot in very well. I was able to drive a 165 FIS SL and 188 FIS GS ski with this boot on steeper cruising runs! Plenty of edging power for the design of the boot. I was extremely impressed with it. Definitely a huge step up in technology from the rear entry boots from yesteryear. Super easy to get into. The only thing I found interesting was the liner griped my foot so well, it took a little extra effort to free my foot from the liner when removing. Which is not a bad thing since the way it was able to hold my foot in place probably explains the high performance you can get from it while skiing.
So many brands are jumping on the BOA bandwagon, when a solid Rear Entry boot is what should be on their radar.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was able to drive a 165 FIS SL and 188 FIS GS ski with this boot on steeper cruising runs! Plenty of edging power for the design of the boot.

Now THAT is a testament!

Hoping for an HF 130 Uber-Pro when I need boots again in 3 or so years.

individualist

Booting up
Skier
I've skied the HF Pro 120 about 12 days so far this 22/23 season. Very very comfortable boot. I retired my trusty Nordica Gran Sport 10s - also rear entry - and went with these because the 10s were such a great boot for me. I'm discovering that with the HFs I'm ending up in the back seat a bit too much, and not getting the same POP out of my skis in the short turn despite actively working on my position and getting centered forward/aft. My conclusion (which may be wrong) is that I need to put in a bit more forward lean so I'll try playing with the spoilers a bit. I brought over my custom footbeds when we baked the liners. Between the molded liners and the footbeds I'm completely comfortable all day. I mostly ski on-piste, groomers on Rossignol Black Ops Escapers mounted with Pivots. I can wiggle my toes a bit, but not curl them under. I can get about 1/4" of vertical heel movement if I "stand up" in the boots. Those "measurements" seem about right to me.
These boots were so comfortable that I spent about 45 minutes in them in the shop before I finally had them bake the liners. So comfortable that I must have tried them on a dozen times before the season started because I couldn't believe that a boot that felt this good was "right". But it seems to be right. I'm happy so far.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied the HF Pro 120 about 12 days so far this 22/23 season. Very very comfortable boot. I retired my trusty Nordica Gran Sport 10s - also rear entry - and went with these because the 10s were such a great boot for me. I'm discovering that with the HFs I'm ending up in the back seat a bit too much, and not getting the same POP out of my skis in the short turn despite actively working on my position and getting centered forward/aft. My conclusion (which may be wrong) is that I need to put in a bit more forward lean so I'll try playing with the spoilers a bit. I brought over my custom footbeds when we baked the liners. Between the molded liners and the footbeds I'm completely comfortable all day. I mostly ski on-piste, groomers on Rossignol Black Ops Escapers mounted with Pivots. I can wiggle my toes a bit, but not curl them under. I can get about 1/4" of vertical heel movement if I "stand up" in the boots. Those "measurements" seem about right to me.
These boots were so comfortable that I spent about 45 minutes in them in the shop before I finally had them bake the liners. So comfortable that I must have tried them on a dozen times before the season started because I couldn't believe that a boot that felt this good was "right". But it seems to be right. I'm happy so far.
They are so comfortable. I haven't noticed any fore/aft balance change from my previous boots but would love to hear how the spoilers work for you. I haven't tried the spoilers in mine.

individualist

Booting up
Skier
OK, end of the first day using the spoilers in the Nordica HF Pro 120. I briefly felt a bit of pressure on the back of my calf, but that went away promptly. I started with the spoilers high enough that about 2-3mm of the velcro was above the back of the shell and I loosened both the top-foot buckle and the back buckle about 1 "notch". I felt better balance but still seemed to be upright/back a bit more than I wanted and the loosening felt a bit "sloppy". I took a break after about 5 laps and sank the spoilers down about 4mm further, and retightened both the top-foot and rear buckles back to their previous setting. Again felt a brief pressure on the back of the calf which quickly passed. Another 7 laps and I now felt better CoM over my feet. Edging was greatly improved and I think the downward pressure across the top of the foot made me feel more plugged into the footbed. The short turn was back under better control, as well as improved speed control on the steeps due to a better ability to complete the turns without excessive skidding.
I don't think the spoilers add anything to these boots unless like me you're trying to introduce a bit more forward lean. There's no "magic" to a spoiler. I don't have any idea why these boots made me feel "back". I did not have the opportunity to have a good boot fitter prepare these boots for me. Perhaps they might have seen something I didn't.
I work 2 shifts on the mountain tomorrow, then another morning on Sunday so I should have a better picture of what an extended day feels like.
My $0.02 is that, for me, these boots provide all the edge control and power transmission I need, while I'm in a boot that is comfortable from start to finish. The ability to get in and out easily doesn't matter much to me - though I don't mind either. I'm just happy to have a boot I put on in the morning, don't have to readjust during the day or loosen during a break, and then take off when I'm done. As a side-note, Grip Walk is nice but it won't save you when walking on glare ice.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday I skied with the spoilers in (velcro centered) and liked the boots even more. A slightly more aggressive position I guess.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I typed a rambling reply to this after my first day out in some HF110s, but in the end most of what I'd say has already been said, and in better terms than I'd say it in. So I'll start with another simple thumbs up rating from a new owner after one day of use on a midwest ski hill and save you the rambling if you want to skip it.

For a little more detail,

I'm another retired 60 year old Salomon SX90 owner/fan re-entering the sport after decades away, who stumbled onto the HF110s and decided to take the plunge. On the rare excursion west over the past years I still skied the black diamonds, but not all day and rather than still being drawn to moguls, I now avoid them. My conditioning lets me down more than my techique does. So while I'm not the hardest of chargers, I do get off the bunny hill.

I wanted the 120s but could not find them locally. I went with custom fit 110s instead, with the assurance from the boot fitter that he could add power straps if I wanted them. (For now, I don't think I need them).

I bought them yesterday, and skied on them today, at a small midwestern ski hill so no black diamonds yet. Overall, unless I was specifically focused on what the boots were doing and how they were working, I didn't notice them. That's meant as a compliment. They didn't stand out as feeling soft/vague. They didn't hurt my feet. Getting in and out of them was trivial. Unbuckling them when I went in for lunch let my ankles sit at a natural angle with my feet in front of me under the table. Yeah that last stuff has nothing to do with actually skiing but it's still true.

Pretty much every thing I noticed about them has already been mentioned. They aren't a GS boot. I'm not a GS skier.

I can fully understand why some people may not like them. _I_ might not even like them if I skied double black diamonds out west every day. But I don't do that. For what I want out of a boot, they work great.

Move over gramps, there's a new kid in town.
Boots_7078.JPG

BTW - as I was leaving the hill today, I saw a woman struggling with the buckles on her boots. She was probably a few years older than me. My shoes were under the seat she was in and as I walked up she mistook me for her husband and without looking up started asking about how she was supposed to get her feet in these boots... I helped her figure it out and then showed her the Nordicas... When I was leaving, she was helping her husband deal with the buckles on his boots.

They aren't for everyone but they make so much sense for a lot of people.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I typed a rambling reply to this after my first day out in some HF110s, but in the end most of what I'd say has already been said, and in better terms than I'd say it in. So I'll start with another simple thumbs up rating from a new owner after one day of use on a midwest ski hill and save you the rambling if you want to skip it.

For a little more detail,

I'm another retired 60 year old Salomon SX90 owner/fan re-entering the sport after decades away, who stumbled onto the HF110s and decided to take the plunge. On the rare excursion west over the past years I still skied the black diamonds, but not all day and rather than still being drawn to moguls, I now avoid them. My conditioning lets me down more than my techique does. So while I'm not the hardest of chargers, I do get off the bunny hill.

I wanted the 120s but could not find them locally. I went with custom fit 110s instead, with the assurance from the boot fitter that he could add power straps if I wanted them. (For now, I don't think I need them).

I bought them yesterday, and skied on them today, at a small midwestern ski hill so no black diamonds yet. Overall, unless I was specifically focused on what the boots were doing and how they were working, I didn't notice them. That's meant as a compliment. They didn't stand out as feeling soft/vague. They didn't hurt my feet. Getting in and out of them was trivial. Unbuckling them when I went in for lunch let my ankles sit at a natural angle with my feet in front of me under the table. Yeah that last stuff has nothing to do with actually skiing but it's still true.

Pretty much every thing I noticed about them has already been mentioned. They aren't a GS boot. I'm not a GS skier.

I can fully understand why some people may not like them. _I_ might not even like them if I skied double black diamonds out west every day. But I don't do that. For what I want out of a boot, they work great.

Move over gramps, there's a new kid in town.
Boots_7078.JPG

BTW - as I was leaving the hill today, I saw a woman struggling with the buckles on her boots. She was probably a few years older than me. My shoes were under the seat she was in and as I walked up she mistook me for her husband and without looking up started asking about how she was supposed to get her feet in these boots... I helped her figure it out and then showed her the Nordicas... When I was leaving, she was helping her husband deal with the buckles on his boots.

They aren't for everyone but they make so much sense for a lot of people.
I could see somebody with reduced mobility in their hands loving these for ease of entry and exit. Even though a cabrio boot is easy to slide into, getting the tongue placed property, as well as the cables/buckles can be a PITA, and if one's hands are shaking/weak/don't operate properly, it could be a nightmare that makes the booting up process an obstacle rather than a routine step. I'm sure the HF has added seasons onto skiers who were formally ready to hang it up.

Skiing is supposed to be fun!

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I put my second day of use on these today. For as long as I remember, slipping into my street shoes at the end of a ski day was such a great feeling. Even with boots that didn't bother me, it felt so good to put street shoes on at the end of the day.

I don't get that with these boots. They don't punish my shins like previous boots have, and they don't have that "it feels so good when I stop" feature.***

It was also my first day out on new to me skis, and once I figured out how to buckle the boots correctly (Hey, that buckle on top actually DOES something!) I spent time trying to get a feel for what the skis were doing and never noticed the boots.

*** They are also the first pair of boots I've had custom fit, so there's that too.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went to a pair of Dabello Kryptons after nearly 20 years of skiing a pair of Tecnica Innotec 4 buckle boots. They are actually MORE difficult to get in and out of, to the point I don't bother taking them off at breaks. The Tecnica had a pliable plastic at the curvature above the instep, so that probably helped.