• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Look at those soft moguls! And the skis match your outfit! Perfect!
I'm curious to hear your comparison to the SA 100s and 93s. I found the metal version of the SA 100 to be a lot of ski for me, more than I want to deal with, yet I just love my pre-metal version. The 93s with metal were easier for me for sure. Will the 88s be the magic ticket, or still more ski than I want to handle? Hmmm...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
9C27574F-6F37-4FC1-B52D-2E2BACBFB8C5.jpeg
Yep looks like it is “proto” season. @Mike Thomas on some protos.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Saw the SA Proto 88 today. Looks very nice. Their owner is looking forward to skiing them. The 88 will kill it for women. The 88 men's ski, like all the other 88's, will be hard to sell other than that they'll be new... "but mine goes to 93". Fondled the K2's, but haven't skied them yet.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First impressions after skiing the Santa Ana 88 Proto:
Its what I would expect from the Santa Ana Shape, but with the robust strength of a powerful frontside ski, in fact the edge grip is something that really stands out.
I skied it for 1/2 day at Deer Valley with a combination of fastish skiing (relatively speaking) and slow controlled turns, as well as moguls.
In these two photos during a transition in moguls, its clear that this ski, as strong as it is, can bend if its being skied like it wants to be skied.
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

I'm itching to ski this ski in some steeper terrain and open it up.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wouldn't some of the groomers in Bald Mt in DV be perfect to open up in speed? Long wide and decently steep.
Where we were skiing, there were too many people to really open it up. There will be time for that. Still they were nice in bumps

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What lengths will this ski be offered in?
@SkiEssentials may be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Santa Ana is coming in a 158, 165, and 172.
The Enforcer will be 165, 172, 179, and 186

That was just me raising my hand. Taking a number. I'm good with the proto topsheet too. Tricia has too many skis anyway. :D
I think you'd have to get in line.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Word's in. They're very good.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The other day (over the Holidays) I rode the lift up the Slide side in Rose with a Lady. I said "Wow those are some pretty skis". It turns out it was the Santa Ana in 100. She said they were really new. The guy at the shop said that he was so convinced she would love them that he would take them back if she didn't like them. Anyways, she was happy with them. Not raving but she said they were fun. She said they were not carvy but on piste she would simply brush her turns. We went the same way and sure enough she was making beautiful round, brushed turns.Lost sight of her.

Maybe (just maybe) the 88 would be a better choice for a daily driver, for many people.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The other day (over the Holidays) I rode the lift up the Slide side in Rose with a Lady. I said "Wow those are some pretty skis". It turns out it was the Santa Ana in 100. She said they were really new. The guy at the shop said that he was so convinced she would love them that he would take them back if she didn't like them. Anyways, she was happy with them. Not raving but she said they were fun. She said they were not carvy but on piste she would simply brush her turns. We went the same way and sure enough she was making beautiful round, brushed turns.Lost sight of her.

Maybe (just maybe) the 88 would be a better choice for a daily driver, for many people.
That's what I'm hoping. A daily driver of 88 under foot is a fine choice for all but deep powder. I'm definitely looking forward to getting on these skis. I'm a fan of the Santa Ana shape, the jury's out on how much I like the versions with metal in them, BUT with a narrower waist, I could see me liking them a LOT.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiEssentials may be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Santa Ana is coming in a 158, 165, and 172.
The Enforcer will be 165, 172, 179, and 186

I think you'd have to get in line.

Dimensions?

Or maybe I missed that?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
By month end I may pull the trigger on one of the 88mm at boot mid fats and it is likely to be one of the top women's models I've been paying attention to the last couple months. A ski that's good for Tricia, is likely a ski good for Dave too, as our weight (135#), height (66"), boot size (300mm) are close.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay folks, its been a week since I've posted here and I finally had a chance to get the Santa Ana 88 Proto on snow again after a tune from @smoothrides.
What stands out with this 88 ski is that its more of a charger with a playful edge to it, rather than a playful ski that can charge.

Most of the time a ski in this category is built for the skier who is advancing and starting to dabble in more off piste terrain, but this one seems to be targeting a woman who loves to charge and is looking for something narrower than the ski she is used to be on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay folks, its been a week since I've posted here and I finally had a chance to get the Santa Ana 88 Proto on snow again after a tune from @smoothrides.
What stands out with this 88 ski is that its more of a charger with a playful edge to it, rather than a playful ski that can charge.

Most of the time a ski in this category is built for the skier who is advancing and starting to dabble in more off piste terrain, but this one seems to be targeting a woman who loves to charge and is looking for something narrower than the ski she is used to be on.
Hmmmm, now I'm REALLY curious to get on them to see how they feel to me, because I'm the former in your descriptions.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January