• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica Speedmachine 130 vs 110

ANDY123

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, 1st time poster here. I'm looking to replace my 10yr old Salomon boots and tried the Nordica Speedmachines. Great initial impression, but am stuck on whether to go with the 110 or 130 flex.
Tried one on each foot in the shop, and found that I had much more forward flexion in the 110 than the 130.
I.m 5'8", 165lbs, advanced skier, but tend to get back seat when the slope gets too steep or icy. Eastern Resort, 90% on piste, ski almost every weekend.
I have good flexibility in my ankles and understand that once I get outside, the boots will be stiffer. I've had shop staff recommend the 110's and others recommend the 130's.
My existing boots are 110's, but apparently 10 years ago boots were much stiffer and I was told that the sportmachines would be equivalent.
Any guidance?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own the Speedmachine 130's. 5'7", 170 advanced-trying-for-expert skier, spend a lot of time in New England and on-piste. Obviously, I can't tell you what to do, but I find the 130's to be great. They seem about equal in flex to my last boots -- Head Vector 120's. I don't know that I've ever felt they were too stiff.
And...most any boot fitter will tell you that you can always make a boot softer -- but you can't make it stiffer.
My own $0.02 (and note my avatar disclaimer) is 130.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 130 is a better built boot. If you plan on keeping the boot another 10 years, stepping up to the 130 is not a bad idea. You can also soften the 130 easier than stiffening the 110. A Sportmachine 110 will be equivalent to the Speed 110 just a bit more volume.

TS
A

ANDY123

Skier
Thanks for the insight, was just concerned that the 130's would be too stiff.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's weird. I am also replacing 10+ year old Solomons , and I chose the Speedmachine 110, which are stiffer than the old Solomans, but I am 10+ years older so that might factor :). Really won't know until we get on the slopes.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think the SM130 flexes softer than some other boots (e.g. Lange). So it's a 130 relative to their lineup, but I'd say it's more like a 120ish boot. Remember, you can always just get a 120 flex if you think 130 is too much and 110 is too soft.

TS
A

ANDY123

Skier
yes, the 120 may be a viable option. Am now also considering the Salomon s/pro, but have not yet tried them on

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Salomon s/pro are super stiff in a 130 if I remember correctly. More than Nordica Speed Machine. You might want to look at 120 in that boot

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately flex numbers have no standard; they are a guideline at best. If you have a lot of ankle range you might find the stiffer boots to be a help in keeping you from constantly flexing forward and riding on your thighs.

TS
A

ANDY123

Skier
I do have a lot of ankle range. Would probably go with the 100 in the Salomon.

stimm

Skier
I just picked up a pair of 130’s this season. I actually felt they were a little softer than the Tecnicas that I almost chose. It really depends on the temperature, more than any other boot I’ve owned. I have found mine comfortable (well, as comfortable as I can get, but that’s my own problem). They ski great, too. One other bonus: the Speedmachines have a screwed-on power strap rather than riveted. I immediately ripped mine off and replaced with a booster strap.

TS
A

ANDY123

Skier
Hi all,
Never imagined that it would be so complicated to buy ski boots!. I measure 26 and have had fitters insist on a 26, others go with 25. In a 26, my toes don't touch the end of the boot. The one 26 that felt good was a salomon x/max, but they didn't have a 25 in stock. Went to another shop and tried a 25 in the s/pro. Nice boot, nice liner, my feet hated them. Tried a 25 in Atomic Hawx Prime. Left foot great, right foot had pain just above the heel by the achiles. Similar to the pain with the Nordica Speedmachine, only more intense. Guy insisted that it would work itself out when the liner packed in. Don't want to end up with a painful boot. Is this an issue that can easily be adressed?
Thanks!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Guy insisted that it would work itself out when the liner packed in. Don't want to end up with a painful boot. Is this an issue that can easily be adressed?

Of course things will work out just fine after a few runs. :nono:
BTW, I have small stone bridge in lower Manhattan from the late 1800's for sale. Great deal. Cheap. :ogbiggrin:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
tend to get back seat
The stiffer boot will give you more to lever against when you are trying to re-center. It'll also transmit your movements to the skis more quickly (doesn't take the time to mash the plastic as much) for quicker reactions on that steep pitch. My 2¢ worth...get the stiffer shells. Be sure the top quality boot fitter gets you correctly centered with the cuff forward angle that works for you.

Bootfitters say...we can always make the boot bigger & can't make it smaller. Tight spots need to be corrected when you first buy the boots, and perhaps again after a few ski days. The liners do mold to the feet with some use. Many also can be heat molded in the shop. Don't leave the shop with painful boots. Do wear the new boots for several hours at home, walking on carpet. If they're still painful, return them for adjustment or replacement or refund.

Shell-fit the boots for size. Remove the liners and put your stocking feet into the boots. Slide your feet forward until they touch the ends of the shells. How much space shows behind your heels? You want 1/2" to 5/8" of space there. Find something at home that has those diameters...Sharpie, small flashlight, etc...and bring it with you to the shop to gauge the gap. Don't accept someone's fingers as the size gauge. (Some fitters are highly knowledgeable--some are just salesmen.) Pull the buckle flaps open and look for 2 - 3 mm of gap on each side of your foot. Are both your feet the same size? If not, ask the bootfitter how they will alter one boot to fit the longer foot.