• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica v Tecnica WC 150s

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Thinking ya just need the foam liner kit!

I’ve got a bunch of shells if ya need.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
IMO - There are steps that you can take between the first sensations of looseness to a complete dismissal of the stock liner. The first line of defense in any narrow shell, thin race liner is to add either a 3mm or 5mm neoprene tongue shim. This has been used to control liner breakdown since the 80's, and is still the single most effective add on to control a narrow low volume foot inside a race 92, 93, 95mm race shell. This is effective because it assists the shell buckles in holding the heel down and back in the shell. This serves 2 fixes, one it keeps the foot from sliding forward into the toe box, and second it helps to prevent the heel bone from lifting off the bootboard and banging into the shell curve above the heel bone.

Along with that there are newer products available that could help to resolve the break down. For example Head has the ability in it's race liner to inject a wax like material into the liner body to help provide some grip around the heel and ankle. Everyone recommends Zipfit, and you poo poo it, stating that you cannot even buckle the shell with "it" in. Well good news Zipfit is not a one model one size fits all proposition. They make a model that is specifically designed to fit into low space shells. Same firm long lasting grip, just less of the omfit loaded in so it can work better in those models. Foam liners have improved dramatically with new offerings to the market like the Atomic brand and Pulse brands. In addition Sidas has improved their product and speed to retailers so the foam is fresh and results are improved.

Last point to ssh is that Jeff may not be familiar with all models and all brands available. With retail shops it is very difficult to reference all models from all brands. The advice from Brian Finch was spot on concerning a more generous length in their 24 and the current version of DRS race boots has a very narrow heel/ankle pocket as the medial or inside wall of the DRS is very finite and close to the inside aspect of the foot in the navicular area. Many of the athletes I have set up in those boots have needed some wiggle room on the medial aspect of the shell. At the same time there is no reason that a fitter with skills can turn the toe length in a 24 Dobe/Tecnica as much as 10mm of additional toe space turning the length of the 24 into a 25 without compromising the top of the foot, heel/instep hold as the 25 will be that much looser in that area of the shell. JFWIW Jeff is splitting hairs that do not need to be split. Meaning that you could choose any of the 92/93mm race shells and a good fitter can give you the balance between hold down, performance, and comfort for the extended lifetime of that boot. There is not a magic bullet that will come out of a box and stay consistent over the lifetime of the boot.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Same boot.
@Philpug I thought the same as I have heard it before but out of pure testing this is contradicting with my experience with one Technica WC 130 and Doberman WC 110 from the same year (2019). Both US size 6 or 255 -sole length 295mm. I can fit in the Dobbie and it's OK lenght-wise for my flat feet, measuring 26.5, but the Firebird is a nightmare (IF I manage to get into those, so much more difficult). They might be the same shell ( I haven't shell checked side by side as they were from different places) but something ain't right... Could it be the liner or perhaps (if possible) the 130 to be thicker plastic everywhere by using a smaller "plug"???
Just curious

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
IMO - There are steps that you can take between the first sensations of looseness to a complete dismissal of the stock liner. The first line of defense in any narrow shell, thin race liner is to add either a 3mm or 5mm neoprene tongue shim. This has been used to control liner breakdown since the 80's, and is still the single most effective add on to control a narrow low volume foot inside a race 92, 93, 95mm race shell. This is effective because it assists the shell buckles in holding the heel down and back in the shell. This serves 2 fixes, one it keeps the foot from sliding forward into the toe box, and second it helps to prevent the heel bone from lifting off the bootboard and banging into the shell curve above the heel bone.

Along with that there are newer products available that could help to resolve the break down. For example Head has the ability in it's race liner to inject a wax like material into the liner body to help provide some grip around the heel and ankle. Everyone recommends Zipfit, and you poo poo it, stating that you cannot even buckle the shell with "it" in. Well good news Zipfit is not a one model one size fits all proposition. They make a model that is specifically designed to fit into low space shells. Same firm long lasting grip, just less of the omfit loaded in so it can work better in those models. Foam liners have improved dramatically with new offerings to the market like the Atomic brand and Pulse brands. In addition Sidas has improved their product and speed to retailers so the foam is fresh and results are improved.

Last point to ssh is that Jeff may not be familiar with all models and all brands available. With retail shops it is very difficult to reference all models from all brands. The advice from Brian Finch was spot on concerning a more generous length in their 24 and the current version of DRS race boots has a very narrow heel/ankle pocket as the medial or inside wall of the DRS is very finite and close to the inside aspect of the foot in the navicular area. Many of the athletes I have set up in those boots have needed some wiggle room on the medial aspect of the shell. At the same time there is no reason that a fitter with skills can turn the toe length in a 24 Dobe/Tecnica as much as 10mm of additional toe space turning the length of the 24 into a 25 without compromising the top of the foot, heel/instep hold as the 25 will be that much looser in that area of the shell. JFWIW Jeff is splitting hairs that do not need to be split. Meaning that you could choose any of the 92/93mm race shells and a good fitter can give you the balance between hold down, performance, and comfort for the extended lifetime of that boot. There is not a magic bullet that will come out of a box and stay consistent over the lifetime of the boot.
@otto, what's the Forward Lean of the current DRS boots, I've heard they are more upright.

I am interested in this for general information. I know that it's hard to get a proper/exact measurement of this in a race boot but still, it's a guiding point :).
Lange is 16° by what I am measuring on the back of the spine;
Head states 16°;
Atomic can be set to 16° or 18°;
So what about Fisher/Nordica/Dalbello?

Sponsor

Staff online