• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Northeast Big Hills Touring Setup Decisions

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[Polite Request: Please put any tips about backcountry safety and associated gear elsewhere. Thanks in advance.]

Hoping to get out on more touring outings this winter. So many constraints on lift-serviced skiing - I expect to be dialing back on chair rides. I have a few pieces of gear but not a complete rig. Trying to figure out how to proceed in a way that's in-budget and appropriate for my use cases.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that a typical day will be an up-and-back on Wildcat, from Carter Notch. If you're not familiar with this well-used route, there is a lot of climbing on the way up, but it's mostly not crazy steep. The lowermost sections are actually part of the Jackson touring center, and are groomed for skate and classic. Higher up, the trail is narrower and steeper, but all along the way there are sections of flat and even slight downhills: the trail was designed for touring, not downhill. Nevertheless there are pitches on the descent that are very much "downhill."

Pieces of gear I already own: adjustable poles; G3 cable tele bindings with lifter plate, Scarpa T2 tele boots. The poles and bindings are known-functional. The boots were a freebie that I haven't actually used, so am iffy on sizing. (They may be a size too big. And the velcro on the sewn-in power strap is shot.) I have used that model of boot before, as a rental. I don't have touring skis, but I am considering turning my Kastle FX 85s into touring boards, if I decide to go for a more all-up then all-down setup. They're not super light, but they are good in mixed ungroomed snow and they do have a tail notch. I do not own any skins.

If the boots were a sure thing, then I would say I was definitely going with a tele rig. Just in case I decide the boots are not going to fly, though, humor me and tell me why I should consider an AT setup rather than tele. I understand the one obvious "pro," which is that I'd be better able to handle and enjoy any serious downhill pitches, since I'm far better at alpine technique than at tele. I guess a companion upside is that if I wanted to ski a lift-service area under my own steam I'd be all set to do that with only minor loss of gear performance on the descents.

What I don't understand, not ever having used AT gear, is how trying to "ski" on flats and uphills in rigid-soled boots could be remotely as comfortable as doing it in boots that bend under the forefoot. As a life-long xc skier this just seems crazy. A different way, maybe, to say this is that I have a feeling that if I go with a configuration that's full skins on smooth bases, with no wax pocket in the camber design - i.e., all up, then all down - I'm going to get really frustrated on the flats and the intervening downhills during ascents. Reverse that for the descents, when there are sections of flat or up. In those sections I'm going to want some glide on the way up, or grip on the way down, respectively.

For this reason I'm considering skis in the general category of the Fischer SBound 98 or 112, that have either fishscales (yuck) or a camber pocket for grip wax. Some of these also have special accommodation for applying proprietary skins when climbs get too steep for the fishscales. I'm aware that skis like this are not well suited to descents on groomed snow at lift-serve areas, but honestly I think if I were going to brave a lift-serve area at all, it would be on a slow weekday and I'd just ride the lift with my regular alpine kit.

When it comes to boots, can people name some models that would be a good fit with this kind of skiing? Obviously fit is personal, so naming ONE model is kind of a dart throw, but if I can get a handle on the weight / stiffness range that knowledgeable people think is appropriate that would be helpful.

While I'm a bit of a gearhead when it comes to "regular" alpine, I'm obviously not well educated in this area, with its continuum of uphill-flat-downhill focus, so all suggestions & leading queries welcome.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 2¢ based on being in a similar situation gear wise minus the telle stuff (I currently have a NIB mid-weight AT boot), and having as little or less experience with the gear than you -
I'll say If those freebe telle boots are wacked and you realize how bad the S-bound 98 or 112 will ultimately be for the down, which if i'm not mistaken, I think is more your objective -
I'd think your 165cm FX 85 is certainly short enough to help offset it's weight deficit but it's still heavy and everything about your on hand telle gear screams too heavy for touring.
At the moment I'm liking the following lighter weight binding for my own work in progress touring setup:
And then perhaps order and try the following boots for fit -
https://www.sierra.com/scarpa-made-in-italy-f80-alpine-touring-ski-boots-for-men~p~733ya/?filterString=ski-boots~d~205/
(the 25 is a 24.5 shell, IIRC I think you're in a 24 - 24.5 Alpine boot)
IIRC several years ago Dynafit did an AT boot with a slight forefoot flex zone, I don't think they lasted that long in the line. If forefoot flex were an issue I would expect to see the feature on Ski-Mo/Rando Race boots but I have not.
*Also, if not out of the question budget wise, the Volle "BC" designated skis have fish scales and will be in a different league for the down then any those Fischer S-bound skis.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My 2¢ based on being in a similar situation gear wise minus the telle stuff (I currently have a NIB mid-weight AT boot), and having as little or less experience with the gear than you -
I'll say If those freebe telle boots are wacked and you realize how bad the S-bound 98 or 112 will ultimately be for the down, which if i'm not mistaken, I think is more your objective -
I'd think your 165cm FX 85 is certainly short enough to help offset it's weight deficit but it's still heavy and everything about your on hand telle gear screams too heavy for touring.
At the moment I'm liking the following lighter weight binding for my own work in progress touring setup:
And then perhaps order and try the following boots for fit -
https://www.sierra.com/scarpa-made-in-italy-f80-alpine-touring-ski-boots-for-men~p~733ya/?filterString=ski-boots~d~205/
(the 25 is a 24.5 shell, IIRC I think you're in a 24 - 24.5 Alpine boot)
IIRC several years ago Dynafit did an AT boot with a slight forefoot flex zone, I don't think they lasted that long in the line. If forefoot flex were an issue I would expect to see the feature on Ski-Mo/Rando Race boots but I have not.
*Also, if not out of the question budget wise, the Volle "BC" designated skis have fish scales and will be in a different league for the down then any those Fischer S-bound skis.
This all makes total sense except I want to hear someone with an xc background say "you are not going to hate those AT boots."

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You will not feel the lack of the boot flexing.

Because the binding articulates near the front of the boot.
Don't give it another thought. And get a pin binding, Salomon mtn is really good, light and simple.

Your current skis will be good

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This all makes total sense except I want to hear someone with an xc background say "you are not going to hate those AT boots."

Depends on which AT boots but generally you wont feel a big difference. There is a huge selection from the more downhill style boots to more "skimo" style boots which are very light and have a very large range of motion but not awesome for hard and fast downhill skiing.

Skating on downhill skis and rigid AT boots is somewhat clumsy but totally doable. The narrower the skis the better I guess.

You can leave skins on even on some downhills while skinning up. It is pretty easy but still you will have to get used to it. The more glide the skins have the easier it is. If you are not going to climb steep icy routes you can use mohair skins that have a fantastic glide. Here in the Rocky Mtn Alpine I need a bit more grip so I use mix skins (mohair / nylon).

I will give another vote for a pin binding. Get something simple like this one: https://cripplecreekbc.com/collecti...dynafit-speed-turn-2-0-alpine-touring-binding that still offers decent adjustability for using boots with different BSL's or this one: https://cripplecreekbc.com/collections/bindings/products/dynafit-speed-radical

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think it really depends on how much up/down rolling flat you expect. The more of that there is, the lighter I'd want to go, and the more I'd want to have scales instead of skins. Then there's also the question of do you want to go skiing, or are you just looking to get out in the woods and bash around.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tony, don’t over think it.
take a pair of your existing elans, or others........ insert here ...... and slap a pair of shift clamps on them and get a pair of same brand boots you already have.
I think all brands by now have a side country touring equivalent with dynafit inserts of what ever alpine your in.
My side country / inbound setup is Tecnica Cochise with Elan ripstick/ shifts
Day tour substitutes the cochise with the Roxa ( thank you @Philpug ) and the rest stays the same, just a wider model.
Pick up some G3 skins before they are sold out and cut them once you decide on you ski.

The point I’m trying to get at here is, without spending a S*~t ton of cash you will have equipment to hit the resort IF touring isn’t what you anticipated or after the craziness ends.
Our last big July outing was 4 -5 hours of walk/skin and climb for 1 killer run. Big couloir terrain and happy to have what I had on my feet on the way down. YMMV.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I don't have any input on the gear selection, but I'm lost as to the geography. I've hiked into Carter Notch a few times; as far as I can remember, the hiking trail ("Nineteen Mile Brook") ends at AMC's Carter Notch hut with the option to go very steeply up to Carter Dome (north) or very steeply up to Wildcat.

Where are the Jackson XC ski trails coming in?

This is what I think of when I hear "Carter Notch"; this is looking very, very down from the summit of Wildcat. The buildings are the AMC hut:
IMG_0330.JPG

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
What I've always hear people do on that trail, @Tony, is skin up Wildcat and ski down the trail. It has some hairy parts on the down that make for good story telling. I've been a listener. You'll need two cars.

This doesn't mean people don't skin up that trail. I have heard ski club members who skin often talking about starting at Wildcat, and not the other way.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What I've always hear people do on that trail, @Tony, is skin up Wildcat and ski down the trail. It has some hairy parts on the down.

This doesn't mean people don't skin up it. I just have heard ski club members who skin often talking about doing it this way.
I'm familiar with the trail. I've done it both ways on more than one occasion.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the things I THINK I'm learning here - correct me if I'm wrong - is that Tele boots and bindings have been left behind in the super-light technology wars by AT boots and bindings, even though tele stuff LOOKs like it should be as light or lighter. Therefore the sacrifice in downhill control - at least for people who are more comfortable with alpine technique - is no longer compensated for with increased mobility on the climbs. Yes?

It's probably important to understand that I am not necessarily looking to make my backcountry outings a direct under-duress substitute for in-resort days, in terms of the skiing itself. I think that's a fool's errand. Touring is touring; it's its own thing. As an xc skier I'm fine with that.

More specifically, to @Erik Timmerman's question: I'm interested in skiing, not banging around in the woods, but my definition of skiing encompasses any kick and glide that might be obtainable on the flats as well as pure downhill.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on which AT boots but generally you wont feel a big difference.
The contrast I'm trying to make is between AT boots and tele boots, not between AT boots and "regular" alpine boots. I suspect your comments and BS Slarver's were made under the assumption that I'm shooting for alpine-level control on challenging downhills. I'm not sure I am.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:. No input here, but anxiously awaiting the answer to your essential boot-binding question Tony. I'm interested in the same general concept.

I agree: I get nordic skiing in boots with forefoot flex. And I get alpine skiing with zero sole flex. I'm hornswoggled by the the concept of trying to actually xc ski in AT boots with no forefoot flex. When I see folks doing AT touring, it looks to me in my limited viewing as if they are doing the shuffle, rather than getting any real kick-glide skiing in. Is it possible to get that kick-glide experience in AT stuff?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
One of the things I THINK I'm learning here - correct me if I'm wrong - is that Tele boots and bindings have been left behind in the super-light technology wars by AT boots and bindings, even though tele stuff LOOKs like it should be as light or lighter. Therefore the sacrifice in downhill control - at least for people who are more comfortable with alpine technique - is no longer compensated for with increased mobility on the climbs. Yes?
With the older tele bindings (pre-2010-ish?), what actually made AT better was a more efficient stride. Older iterations of tele bindings didn't have any mechanism to release the toe piece so you couldn't lift your heel as much on the uphill as you could with an AT binding. Hard to explain, but with older tele bindings, essentially the ball of your foot was always kept in contact with the ski when striding, so your range of motion was limited (especially on the flats) vs an AT binding which had a much larger range of motion as the hinge point was at the toe so you could fully lift your boot from the ski when striding. New tele bindings tend to have added touring mechanisms so that you can get the same range of motion as an AT binding, but not all. I have toured extensively (18+ years?) on both AT & tele and find AT gear far superior both on the uphill and downhill.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
AT touring is, in my experience, more like shuffling and walking. Not really a kick and glide motion. I generally do it to get a good downhill run and it is more of a hike and ski than a traditional ski tour. Might be best to stick with telemark gear for what Tony has in mind. Not sure.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get nordic skiing in boots with forefoot flex. And I get alpine skiing with zero sole flex. I'm hornswoggled by the the concept of trying to actually xc ski in AT boots with no forefoot flex. When I see folks doing AT touring, it looks to me in my limited viewing as if they are doing the shuffle, rather than getting any real kick-glide skiing in. Is it possible to get that kick-glide experience in AT stuff?
^^^ This. Exactly.

With the older tele bindings (pre-2010-ish?), what actually made AT better was a more efficient stride. Older iterations of tele bindings didn't have any mechanism to release the toe piece so you couldn't lift your heel as much on the uphill as you could with an AT binding. Hard to explain, but with older tele bindings, essentially the ball of your foot was always kept in contact with the ski when striding, so your range of motion was limited (especially on the flats) vs an AT binding which had a much larger range of motion as the hinge point was at the toe so you could fully lift your boot from the ski when striding. New tele bindings tend to have added touring mechanisms so that you can get the same range of motion as an AT binding, but not all. I have toured extensively (18+ years?) on both AT & tele and find AT gear far superior both on the uphill and downhill.
I think I'm going to just take this on faith at this point and try it out. Because my I can't get my head around it intellectually.

Edit: I suspect the root of it is that on AT gear, with skins and single-camber skis, there is no "kick" phase as I know it, where you have to simultaneously de-camber the ski, engage the grip wax or or other underfoot traction device, and kick back. (That's the action which would seem to require ball-of-foot contact.) If the whole ski is one big giant traction device, then that assertive down-and-back action is probably not required.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Local Rentals

Ski The Whites
International Mountain Equipment - North Conway, NH (rents avalanche safety and mountaineering/climbing equipment, new and used backcountry equipment for sale)
mtnGear - Glen, NH (alpine touring equipment, avalanche safety, and mountaineering/climbing equipment)
REI - North Conway (please contact REI for current rental situation)

https://skithewhites.com/pages/backcountry-rental-ski-equipment

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think I'm going to just take this on faith at this point and try it out. Because my I can't get my head around it intellectually.

Edit: I suspect the root of it is that on AT gear, with skins and single-camber skis, there is no "kick" phase as I know it, where you have to simultaneously de-camber the ski, engage the grip wax or or other underfoot traction device, and kick back. (That's the action which would seem to require ball-of-foot contact.) If the whole ski is one big giant traction device, then that assertive down-and-back action is probably not required.

Notice that this impacts the whole scales vs. skins controversy as well.

Without that engagement phase, scales frankly suck, and even with a strong one, they become useless when significantly behind the heel of the boot.

Sponsor

Staff online