• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic Northeast Skinny Ski 2020 -2021 Quickie Reports

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a spot for quick trip updates that don't warrant an entire thread but which may have yielded some stoke-inducing pics or stories or whatever.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Photo courtesy of @Wending from our visit to the Rangeley Lakes Trail Center last week:

cord.jpg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa! Nice grooming. You're makin' me jealous.
A fair bit of snow here in NW Ct but not a lot of groomed stuff. Set your own track as soon as you can get out and then hope no one screws it up. I have to skate-ski on lakes.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are some pic's from Ravenswood Conservation area in Gloucester MA. A local spot to get in the woods and walk the dog and make some tracks. Went on last Thursday afternoon, after 14 inches of medium density snow. I was on 60 mm (tip) classic x country skis, but I should have been on my AT gear. I was breaking trail and there was only sink, no glide. Took the 108mm (waiste) AT gear out the next day and stayed on top of the snow. Still not much glide, but that's AT for you. It was too deep for the dog, on Thursday, but we both slogged through. The dog was much happier following my wide AT tracks the next day than my xcountry tracks. There's a new way to make a ski choice for the day, which ski tracks will the dog prefer to follow me on? Maybe I need a dog with longer legs and not worry about ski choice. ogsmile:pug: Less snow would not be a choice.

IMG_20201217_151136727.jpg
IMG_20201217_151213806.jpg

IMG_20201217_151132642.jpg
IMG_20201219_113145960_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201219_113151318_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201219_113159305_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201219_121004881_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201219_113226150.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
TBH I expected more grip from the skins. I'm sure it's mostly technique, but I was sliding backwards and had to revert to herringbone in the turns. I thought I'd be able to just cruise right up it. I've been watching some of the FIS tech talk videos and did some experimenting with stuff I've seen. Once the nordic centers are open I have some people volunteering to coach me. Oh yeah, and coming down the Notch was sketchyyyyy, not that it would have been better on skate skis.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yeah, and coming down the Notch was sketchyyyyy, not that it would have been better on skate skis.
Once you get up to that speed where you realize you mustn't fall, you can put all decision making concerns aside. I really hope there was some significant padding over the pavement.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TBH I expected more grip from the skins. I'm sure it's mostly technique, but I was sliding backwards and had to revert to herringbone in the turns. I thought I'd be able to just cruise right up it.
Classic is just hard.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Once you get up to that speed where you realize you mustn't fall, you can put all decision making concerns aside. I really hope there was some significant padding over the pavement.

There was not much padding. The snow was nice and smooth, but you could feel the poles clicking on the asphalt underneath.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its as if only sheer willpower will get the skis to turn before you crash.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
My XC trails are lift served and I found myself at the top of a steepish polished blue inbounds slope on 60mm edgeless skis once. So I poledrag snowplow straight lined it. Did a perfect sitz stop some soft snow at the bottom when I slowed down enough.

Still have my Eastern Professional Ski Touring Instructors manual.
xcpoledrag.JPG

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My XC trails are lift served and I found myself at the top of a steepish polished blue inbounds slope on 60mm edgeless skis once. So I poledrag snowplow straight lined it. Did a perfect sitz stop some soft snow at the bottom when I slowed down enough.

Still have my Eastern Professional Ski Touring Instructors manual.
View attachment 120114
Love the knickers and the stache. Early seventies, right?

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
Yep. Still have my own doubleknit polyester knickers somewhere. And the stache. But seriously, the snowplow pole drag has saved my bacon more than a few times. My poles are 50 year old bamboo though. Not sure the new composites would hold up. :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! I remember those pictures. They must have been re-printed in a booklet for skiers. I seem to remember it had a yellow cover.
Memories......

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used the pole between the legs many times. Works good until you hit the bumps. I now see from the picture I should have put my second hand in the middle of the pole and not sat on them wedged into my crotch. :doh:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Pretty decent snow at the Stowe XC Center. First time skiing in the tracks. It's still hard. I put some Homenkol Beta on the skis and I thought it was interesting to see how far forward the skins are on the skis. Interesting. This classic stuff is hard? Trying to learn when to be walking, when to be running and when to just double pole. Found some extra grip by adjusting the bindings. I tried more of a run on the steeper parts to be punching the skins down onto the snow, Trying to keep my chin up and not be looking right at the skin track. I was planning a post work skate tomorrow but just got booked on a private until 4. Maybe Tuesday will be a skate day.

Sponsor

Staff online