• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern MN ski

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, maybe meet halfway at Blackjack some time and demo some of these skis. If we only had snow and it being open.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How about some fast skis with a medium radius so you can make quick turns without losing too much speed on the flats.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This statement: “Has longer runs, but they alternate between decent pitches and near flat benches, where you want to maintain speed with wide, gentle carves.” makes me think that your new ski should not only like speed, but have some pop to gain a little air in the transitions between the flat area and the next pitch. A super duper damp ski might not allow that, especially since you are, um, slim. ;)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This statement: “Has longer runs, but they alternate between decent pitches and near flat benches, where you want to maintain speed with wide, gentle carves.” makes me think that your new ski should not only like speed, but have some pop to gain a little air in the transitions between the flat area and the next pitch. A super duper damp ski might not allow that, especially since you are, um, slim. ;)

We can gain 5 lbs and be regular or 10 and overweight unless its all muscle. But i am only 6'1"

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy , good point!
In fact, one of our favorite trails here in town, at Spirit Mountain, is fairly narrow, curing and rolling:
(Inserts gratuitous foto of daughter)

Basically , neither place need a ski to make it ‘easier’ they just need a ski to make it ‘funner’

Attachments

• 675BBA61-603C-4D9F-85B8-54450C0FD4AA.jpeg
    675BBA61-603C-4D9F-85B8-54450C0FD4AA.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 23
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts on the Blizzard skis? I saw a review here, but can’t find it any more.
Firebird Race Ti? Quattro 8.0 Ca?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy , good point!
In fact, one of our favorite trails here in town, at Spirit Mountain, is fairly narrow, curing and rolling:
(Inserts gratuitous foto of daughter)

Basically , neither place need a ski to make it ‘easier’ they just need a ski to make it ‘funner’
YES! Exactly. When I read your post, I immediately thought of a hill here in the Poconos that also has some flat areas followed by a steeper pitch, and those trails, though short, are great fun when I can catch a bit of air.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any one have any ideas for one of the Fischer’s?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I hate the marketing BS name obfuscation game too.
https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/alpine/ski/race

Well, if you are going skiing and not going to confession, get the Fischer WC CT M/O in a 175 cm length (with the FF17 bindings).

If you want a little more forgiveness (it's relative; the above-noted CT is already a step down from their competition race models):
You want A Fischer WC SC Pro M/O in a 165 cm length if you want to make short turns;
You want A fischer WC RC Pro M/O in a a 180 cm length if you want to make long turns;
If you can't decide between short and long and don't want to buy two pairs of skis get the Curve M/O (not GT, Not DTX, just "curve") in a 171 length;

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blizzard Firebird Race Ti
Philpug: You are getting a ton of performance with the Race Ti --. Blizzard just makes good technical skis. Period.
Insider tip: If you are a layman and want a carving ski, buy this and spend the extra money on a super tune.
Tricia:What I’m about to tell you is how surprised I was that I had so much fun on this ski...even went high to hit some moguls in Hallelujah Bowl,... The Race Ti is the friendliest version in the Firebird lineup, which is perfect for an advanced skier who may be a little smaller and still wants the precise turn shape and race ski feel without being punished for being light.

Well, as the bolded text indicates, @Philpug and @Tricia both call out something that describes me.

Any reason it would not be a good choice? It is available, and at a very good price too. And if I am correct the TPX 12 binding is Gripwalk compatible?

@Cheizz You called it pretty much the opposite. Terrible in moguls, unforgiving, poor at short turns(While Blizzard calls it best for short to medium turns)?
Hmm, I wonder if this ski changed or the naming is different between Europe and US. I saw a British review, that mimic @Cheizz ’s, including saying it’s poor for lighter skiers, while @Tricia specifically call that out as a plus.

Cheiz also mentions Firebird Ti as being softer, but I don’t see that listed here in the US.
The topsheets in the European reviews are dark, while the ski I can buy, and the review here on ski talk, is White. They are also from a year or two ago, so maybe Blizzard changed the line?

The ski’s.com review also talks about varying turns and casual intermediate and up, quite different from the European reviews.

Maybe go down in size to keep the radius short? 172 cm? Or stick with 178cm, which would still only be shoulder height?

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
To clarify, it’s ok if they don’t turn quickly without skill. Here in town, a challenge like that:“let’s make these skis turn quickly”, would actually be fun and interesting.
At Lutsen, quick turning would be fun, but not required.

So that is one question I was wondering about: what would help me develop technique more: a more forgiving ski or a more precise ski?

A ski that provides greater feedback will be a good tool to help you progress, i.e., a more precise ski. However without lessons / coaching you will likely not know what to do with that feedback, and build compensation, not capacity. You will have the tool for the job, but not the skill set to optimize it.

I wouldn't get too in the weeds on a specific model. Anything mid-ish 70s or under. Anything under 170cm. A shorter ski will provide greater edge engagement, and force you to master pressure control when you take it off piste. Often, I walk a guest into thecrental shop. We shelve our skis, grab 110cm rentals with a 9 meter turn radius, and drill. Then there is a specific protocol to get them back on their personal skis.

Make sure that the skis are "right" out of the box, or insist that the shop do a race tune. IME Stockli, Head and Augments are solid out of the box. Many others depending on the year - with some years being horrid as far as factory tunes. Shop for a bargain - if you can find any. Put your dollars into clinics if your goal is to improve as a skier.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One more option:
Nordica Navigator 80, in 172 cm (second longest).
Worry that I might be too heavy for this ski (175lbs). But, we are not skiing fast here in town.
Ski it for a year or two, develop some skills, then pass it on to my daughter.

Basically, my question is : would I feel it doesn’t provide fun pop/rebound from turn to turn at my weight? That would be a deal breaker.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which Curve, they have several skis with Curve in their name?
View attachment 114732

One reason I am asking this, is the darn confusing names of frontside skis.
Why do they do this? It’s all letters and dashes and slashes. What’s wrong with actual names?

@Philpug,(or others) what is the (general) difference between Salomon S/Force and S/Max?

@Dwight I think, in general, you are right. Each ski will have pro’s and con’s, and will be fun somewhere.

What I hope to get from the SkiTalk braintrust, is avoid purchasing something that is:
  • Only fun at speed: a big reason for this is trying to make Spirit Mountain fun ( I’m to old and too tall for the terrain park)
  • So aggressive, that the moment I make a mistake, or get distracted (at Lutsen), I crash
  • So easy going, that it is no more fun on the groomers than my all mountain skis.
Oh geez, don’t get any of the ones with Z11 bindings. You need a 12 or 13 DIN.
I still think a V76 with a Pivot binding would be a hoot, allowing you to carve, ski slowly when you want, and have some pop for those flat-to-pitch transitions.

I wasn’t crazy about the Navigator 80 when I demoed it but it didn’t have a good tune, either. Others here have loved it, and they should comment.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy and @GregK , thanks!
I maybe had not mentioned, I work at a shop, so will be buying from the manufacturer or, if they are sold out, maybe off our sales floor. Hence the need to stick with Salomon, Volkl, Fischer, K2, Nordica or Blizzard.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you’re at a shop, why aren’t you telling us which skis we should buy? :roflmao:

Skis that come to mind from those manufacturers-

Volkl-Deacon of some sort. Maybe 79 or 80 as it’s not as unforgiving as the 76 and not as wide as the 84.
Fisher-RC4 The Curv
K2-Disruption 78Ti or Ikonic 80 Ti if you have remaining stock
Nordica-Dobermann Spitfire 70Ti FDT
Blizzard-Quattro RS 76 or RS 70

All are a small step down from super stiff and unforgiving carvers that you could could ski on a variety of terrain at all speeds.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK because I’m a bike fitter, not a ski tester :philgoat:

Ah, I see! I’ll let it slide I guess....ogwink
Lots of cyclists on this site including myself.

I’d take the above recommendations and the other skis listed on this thread and ask the ski sales staff about which skis they typically like in this “high performance” carver class. Might be last years models in stock at your store that they might want gone for less than you ordering the 2021 version.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto what @GregK recommended and also missed you worked at a shop. Better purchase soon. Chances of getting anything else is stock is slim to none.

Sponsor

Staff online