• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Not FIS legal and Other Things Possibly Wrong in this Picture.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These were at SIA a few years back...these people actully paid money for a booth.
This post made me laugh the most. Because that means they are (were?) a Thing.

What I can’t figure out: Why are ski boots in a snowboard binding? Why not a snowboard boot?
There’s also no lateral support in that setup. No fore/aft, no lateraL But wait! If the shock compresses, couldn’t the snowboard binding/ski boot thinger depress the heel of the binding, causing the skier to eject?

I can’t stop laughing at this. :roflmao:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This post made me laugh the most. Because that means they are (were?) a Thing.

What I can’t figure out: Why are ski boots in a snowboard binding? Why not a snowboard boot?
There’s also no lateral support in that setup. No fore/aft, no lateraL But wait! If the shock compresses, couldn’t the snowboard binding/ski boot thinger depress the heel of the binding, causing the skier to eject?

The list of things wrong here are in the double digits.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"go go gadget skis!"
1606875384814.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There’s also no lateral support in that setup. No fore/aft, no lateraL

By that definition, this sit-ski has no fore-aft and no lateral support either.

IMG_7933_grande.JPG

The only real difference between the two linkages is the length of travel available to the sit-ski above.

But wait! If the shock compresses, couldn’t the snowboard binding/ski boot thinger depress the heel of the binding, causing the skier to eject?

No. It doesn't move in that direction -at all- unless one of the pivots goes bad.

It's rather evident the person(s) who came up with this had been looking at double wishbone suspensions. I'm not sure they got theirs right, but they definitely looked at others.

I laughed too - until I realised they were meant for people with existing ACL injuries.

Hence my post "NEED" above. This technology does need to be explored and developed - just like the sit ski was.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
By that definition, this sit-ski has no fore-aft and no lateral support either.

IMG_7933_grande.JPG

The only real difference between the two linkages is the length of travel available to the sit-ski above.

No. It doesn't move in that direction -at all- unless one of the pivots goes bad.

It's rather evident the person(s) who came up with this had been looking at double wishbone suspensions. I'm not sure they got theirs right, but they definitely looked at others.

I laughed too - until I realised they were meant for people with existing ACL injuries.

Hence my post "NEED" above. This technology does need to be explored and developed - just like the sit ski was.
OK, so it wasn‘t a SIA troll, it was somebody designing for a purpose.

But a sit-ski skier is strapped into the chair, and their feet are as well. And the chair itself provides some lateral support to the skier’s body.

And a ski boot in a snowboard binding is a seriously questionable interface at best. :eek:

I think @cantunamunch could design a better system. ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
OK, so it wasn‘t a SIA troll, it was somebody designing for a purpose.

It just totally looks like a ski-loving medical person gave a mech engineer a design-to-prototype brief, with limited scope and hoping to have someone else do the refinement.

Sponsor

Staff online