• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Not FIS legal and Other Things Possibly Wrong in this Picture.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
You mean from tipping forward (over the handlebars?)

We don't know what the kinematics of that shock are, but one of the interesting consequences could be that longitudinal impact actually causes vertical travel. In other words, hit a death cookie that punches your ski back, and get lower to the ski as a result.

that could be the case but rapid deceleration could be a bitch . Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, energy is neither destroyed or created, its just re-directed. look at the hinges, the only way to go lower is to move forward, and the lower instep strap creates quite the leverage/hinge point for the upper body.. I guess if your shock is damp enough, it could minimize this but I'm doubting that. :).

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you don't know how to ski death cookies on solid fuel powered super bindings, you don't know how to ski

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
aside from the obvious, it appears there's no upper clasp to hold the boot (and the rest of the skier) in place.

You mean from tipping forward (over the handlebars?)

I believe there is a piece of velcro on the high back that sticks to the back of pants cuff to control forward lean.

James

Out There
Instructor
What could possibly go wrong with those?

EB8D1B1F-E563-48EF-9639-D466139FF99F.jpeg

Hey, another use for Apex frames.

Question- Wouldn’t this system be better bolted to a snowboard? Perhaps the competency level to just make it on and off the lift might be too high.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What could possibly go wrong with those?

View attachment 116416
Hey, another use for Apex frames.

Question- Wouldn’t this system be better bolted to a snowboard? Perhaps the competency level to just make it on and off the lift might be too high.
To me it looks like some kind of BC touring device, perhaps to enhance skating or something like that. Remove them and put them in your pack for the run back down..

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I'll just leave this right here.
View attachment 116381

THIS ^ is why some people should never be allowed near machine tools and hand tools.... Ever.

But then again.... Jammin' straight into a low-tide waterbar at warp 9 might be just the thing for this rig.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
And an Anton Glider..
header_uforia.jpg

But I do like the Marker 1400 on a plate that was not designed to accept it.
Bump on the mismatched Marker-binder-plate interface horror....

P.S. - Antons are still some of the coolest auto-carving toys ever invented.... Gotta feel 'em to believe 'em!

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
In the early days of shape skis, Euro-carvers tried all sorts of things to get further up from the ski to prevent booting-out.
96/97, Atomic had;
Power flex Plate (PFP) - 10 mm was part of the ESSVAR binding option
The below plates were mounted to the skis and accepted the ESSVAR binding
Super Power flex Plate (SPP) - 20mm
POWERPLATE (PP) - 27mm:
I knew a few guys who were stacked on the 20ish mm ski + the 27mm PP, the 10mm PFP, the binding, and 5mm lifters on the boot sole. I did try it, but was not my cuppa. Highest I'd go was my GS set up of Derby plate with the the PFP.

James

Out There
Instructor
We used to have a stilt skier who skied on Presidents Day dressed as Uncle Sam. I think he used the drywall stilts, but don’t know.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2 pages and the obvious questions weren't asked. Where was this? What is it called? What is the manufacturers stated purpose for these contraptions? Inquiring minds want to know... :ogcool:
These were at SIA a few years back...these people actully paid money for a booth.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These were at SIA a few years back...these people actually paid money for a booth.
OK...but what is the stated rationale???? Most "innovations" appear, at least on the surface, to be addressing some kind of need. It's almost impossible for me to imagine what issue these designers were thinking about.
As covered above, one can imagine all kinds of issues these did NOT consider.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK...but what is the stated rationale???? Most "innovations" appear, at least on the surface, to be addressing some kind of need. It's almost impossible for me to imagine what issue these designers were thinking about.
As covered above, one can imagine all kinds of issues these did NOT consider.
Honestly, I did't even remember them until I found this old picture.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid