• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now I've Seen It All - $5k designer skis

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No different than a $5k designer handbag.
Shame about the lack of environmental concern. They likely use farmed mink and captive camels for that jacket. They should get naturally sourced fur and down from trappers and the like.:ogbiggrin:

They're free-range, equal exchange vicuñas from just a few hundred km south of Juan Valdez's place.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
annual pass here and 3 resorts in near area around Oslo that lets me use lift and stuff for bicycle in summer months as well including 25% VAT is $332

Less fortunate ones also gets free ski days where they get pass + gear, like refugees.

Expensive stuff is cool, if there is a resale market, if not its usually just overpriced stuff.

(if you can sell it, its overpriced stuff you can get rid off)
Ah, Norway. :golfclap:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, yes, absolutely, but if it is like....I do not know..cars market, it is ok-there are Bentleys and Ferraris but at the same time there are VWs, Skoda, etc.
I mean, if there are enough affordable options, let the rich have their 10 000 skis, I am fine.

What would be bad if this becomes like the bicycle market where the prices of ALL categories are going up and up all the time.
I totally agree with this. I don't mind if there are 10.000eur skis. No problem at all. Just like I have absolutely no problem with Ferrari. But car market is a bit different then ski market I would say. And with skiing, at least in my mind, you don't really show off (much), if you are super rich. With lack of this, I guess there's not much of interest for people to make 10.000eur skis, and for rich to buy skis (regardless of price) to show off.
And I just wanted to say this what you wrote about bike market. Bike market is not that they have some rich people bikes in range of Ferrari in car. It's just that every fu*** bike now costs more then car. It's normal bike, with normal things, yet it costs like it would be gold (please let's not go into "space technology that modern bike has"... carbon is in 2021 as common as yogurt cup plastic, not space technology, and hydraulics brakes or wireless technology would be space technology 40 years ago, nowadays it's as common as it gets... except in bike industry :D). So it's not that you have 10.000eur worth bike with diamonds and gold for rich, and normal priced bike for everyone else. You just have normal bike priced as some special collectable item for rich.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I haven't been able to find out exactly what it is. Good love em. Most of my issues with blades come from colliding with other skates. Won't help. I don't think

That's also what DLC is supposed to help - reduced damage from contact. (If it is DLC, of course, it could be near anything - tungsten carbide over chromium nitride say.)

James

Out There
Instructor
I saw a pair of Zai’s on sale a few years ago for $2600. But when they zip tie the skis to the display amongst other items for the peasants, they don’t understand retail at that level. I think that was the one with granite in it. Rossi or Soloman had a similar tech.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's also what DLC is supposed to help - reduced damage from contact. (If it is DLC, of course, it could be near anything - tungsten carbide over chromium nitride say.)
I dunno..I can't see it..200lbs guy going 20kmh drives into you and hits you blade on blade..these knicks are deep..have to sharpen them out a lot of the time. I can see less sharpening due to wear from the ice..but..otherwise. And really, if you're in the dressing room and you have a bad burr on the blade, you need to stone it out, you can't just go sharpen them. Some rinks have good sharpeners, if they're there. But I go to a specific guy. So I'm stoning mine occasionally...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I dunno..I can't see it..200lbs guy going 20kmh drives into you and hits you blade on blade..these knicks are deep..have to sharpen them out a lot of the time. I can see less sharpening due to wear from the ice..but..otherwise. And really, if you're in the dressing room and you have a bad burr on the blade, you need to stone it out, you can't just go sharpen them. Some rinks have good sharpeners, if they're there. But I go to a specific guy. So I'm stoning mine occasionally...

Oh, I'm not saying it was a good idea. Ideas are like wimmin - the exciting ones aren't likely to be good for ya long term :D

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The question I always ask is: "what does the $5000 (name of item) do that the $500 one won't do?" The answer also always tells me the $500 one is the right choice.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

DLC....DLC....that reminds me of something but cant remember what....where else is this used apart from skates? Guns? Watches?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The question I always ask is: "what does the $5000 (name of item) do that the $500 one won't do?" The answer also always tells me the $500 one is the right choice.

With the additional question: how often will I use the 5000$ item?

This gets me back to bikes-I decided for myself that the highest I really need to go is carbon frame+ Ultegra Di2+set of decent hoops. Decent. Not Lightweight Fernweg and not Schmolke.
Now, this is not cheap but not as expensive as Dura Ace and in the summer I ride it all the time so the ROI is quite significant. And the benefits of the above components are clear.

Whereas 5000$ ski...dunno about that. How much better can they be than the WRTs? :ogbiggrin: