• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

numeric skill rating vs word based label

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to hear the number to identify skill rating. Example: a strong expert might be an 8 or a 9. I don't recall what a 5, 6 or 7 would represent. Lately the terms are beginner, intermediate, advanced-intermediate and expert with a few more terms sometimes thrown into the mix.

I have been asked to help a friend in picking out new skis. He is easily offended but I still want to steer him in the right direction. He has only been skiing a few years and he has no concept of what skiing should even look like. When he is going down the hill he skis like a gorilla. I can't call him an intermediate yet he skis all trails at Stratton, however it is painful to watch.

But all of that considered I think an intermediate ski would be appropriate. As I see it, advanced skis would limit his development and a lesser ski would not reward better skiing.

First I am trying to direct him to a shop that could help with skis in the intermediate range. I looked at SE and didn't see much for lower end skiers. I was considering demo sales, rentals. Can you suggest a shop that would help us with skis. I say - intermediate, but that may be a stretch.

Boots are next.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've moved it to the hard goods forum.
Thank you. Navigating can be difficult.

Yeah, he thinks he a good skier. I won't be the one to say anything. I am only going to get him closer to a better ski. Then boots. As I search for his new skis, I need to state his ability - intermediate. Most skis are intermediate/advanced. I will skip the numeric scale.
WB website

This guy wouldn't be caught dead in a lesson. He is unteachable. The skis he is replacing cost $75. The ski, the binding and his knee didn't make it through his last fall. He was so proud of those skis. The only reason he requested my assistance is due to the broken equipment.

I know he needs boots too. For now I am searching for equipment... skis and I would like to do it online So let me know if you know of any online shops.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The problem with level-appropriate skis is that they are also appropriate to the speeds most experts and ski instructors think beginners should be skiing, and are able to deliver the forces most experts think are appropriate for beginner skiers, but many beginner skiers ski faster than that (to be fair most of the ski instructors students do fit the profile of not wanting to ski fast). Having your beginner friend bombing black runs at speed on beginner skis is even more dangerous than having him ski those runs with a more speed capable ski. I don't know how far along your friend really is, but an advanced to expert ski may be appropriate.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An advanced ski with a broad envelope. where are all the Kastle MX fans?
A Kastle PX might be more appropriate.

OP: How much dough does he have? Stockli AX? Just kidding, or not? I haven't seen him ski. How much does he weight? Height?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Intermediate ski? Oh, hell no. Nudge him to the absolute best skis on the market, in a size that works for you. He will undoubtably appreciate that you think highly enough of his skiing to recommend only the best. My rationale is that no ski in any size will really make much difference in his skiing, so any ski will do and it might as well be a ski that works for you.

When he gets frustrated, you can offer to buy it from him, at a “modest” discount of course. If he rejects advice on boots and lessons, you might as well take advantage of the opportunity, while potentially saving the friendship.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doesn't sound like skis are remotely the answer for him. Someone doing gorilla turns by heaving the shoulders round stays like a gorilla until they learn something of self awareness. A pricey new ski won't help. I'd help him pick something off the rack at the local consignment store and call it good. Maybe gift him a clinic or something if you really care.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Doesn't sound like skis are remotely the answer for him. Someone doing gorilla turns by heaving the shoulders round stays like a gorilla until they learn something of self awareness. A pricey new ski won't help. I'd help him pick something off the rack at the local consignment store and call it good. Maybe gift him a clinic or something if you really care.
Well this is probably true. But he needs a ski to ski on. The old ones went to the ski dump. A pricey ski is not a choice. I am thinking $550 range. He already skied on a super-low end ski. If he gets the appropriate ski it won't have to cost much and he will have some funds left over to buy boots.

But I still need an internet shop to pick from. They must not list intermediate/advanced skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well this is probably true. But he needs a ski to ski on. The old ones went to the ski dump. A pricey ski is not a choice. I am thinking $550 range. He already skied on a super-low end ski. If he gets the appropriate ski it won't have to cost much and he will have some funds left over to buy boots.

But I still need an internet shop to pick from. They must not list intermediate/advanced skis.
Used 10 to 15 year old top of the line skis - check the bindings for indemnification or get new bindings. Should work well at Straton.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
I have been asked to help a friend in picking out new skis. He is easily offended but I still want to steer him in the right direction. He has only been skiing a few years and he has no concept of what skiing should even look like. When he is going down the hill he skis like a gorilla. I can't call him an intermediate yet he skis all trails at Stratton, however it is painful to watch.
[...]He is unteachable. The skis he is replacing cost $75. The ski, the binding and his knee didn't make it through his last fall. He was so proud of those skis. The only reason he requested my assistance is due to the broken equipment.

Dude, I don't know if you realize it, but you come across as somewhere between condescending and offensively dismissive of someone you are calling a "friend".
... "No concept of what skiing should look like" ... "skis like a gorilla" ... "he is unteachable"...

Really? That incorrigible?
Are you sure he doesn't know how to google?

But all of that considered I think an intermediate ski would be appropriate. As I see it, advanced skis would limit his development and a lesser ski would not reward better skiing.

The higher quality the ski, the wider the applicability range.
If a person can parallel ski down a black slope, however ungracefully, 90% of new skis out there will represent a qualitative upgrade for that person over anything in the noodle rental fleet.

Here is a suggestion for him (not you) - Stokli Montero AR - I bet he will love them.
You might hate him for it, but he will instantly ski with greater level of control and safety!

First I am trying to direct him to a shop that could help with skis in the intermediate range. I looked at SE and didn't see much for lower end skiers.

You clearly didn't look hard enough. SE has hundreds (thousands?) of skis for all conditions, levels, and budgets.
Direct your "friend" to any of the SE-affiliated brick'n'motor stores in your areas, and they will hook him up.

I say - intermediate, but that may be a stretch.

Also, please quit commenting on your "friend" as if he is a physically impaired (or say so if he is), or quiet calling him a "friend".
This level of condescension is one way our hobby gets a bad name.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am helping with ski selection. I believe it would be a mistake for him to buy a wide ski or an expert ski. At best he is an intermediate = stretch to intermediate/advanced. I would never suggest that he ski on a true expert ski. I will also probably suggest a 160.

I will try Corbetts. Tried SE and they didn't have much unless I was searching the wrong category.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am helping with ski selection. I believe it would be a mistake for him to buy a wide ski or an expert ski. At best he is an intermediate = stretch to intermediate/advanced. I would never suggest that he ski on a true expert ski. I will also probably suggest a 160.
How big and how old is the guy? Unless he's small, 160 seems short. If east coast only, I'd stick to the mid-'70's to lower to mid '80s for width.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister