• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

numeric skill rating vs word based label

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Troy NY...... I was 14 and in 8th grade and my parents wouldn't let me go. It was like almost 3 hours away so they were probably right.
I thought this was going to be a rant about how students describe themselves with the numerical 1 -9 system and how it sucks for instructors and should be changed. Do they still use that? Anyway, I thought wrong.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No he doesnt. Sometimes the best way to help a friend is keeping it real.

Sure.

If the definition of 'help' includes being cut off from friendship as a gatekeeping joykiller.

But, sure. Let's do that. Let's kill the joy. Keep it real, you know.

Last edited:
TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sure.

If the definition of 'help' includes being cut off from friendship as a gatekeeping joykiller.

But, sure. Let's do that. Let's kill the joy. Keep it real, you know.

He'll be offended. He'll get over it.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry for the drift: Went to see Chad and Jeremy at the RPI Field House. I was nine and with a friend. My mom dropped us off - must have been thinking... Peter, Paul and Mary. There was a large number of girls who rushed the stage which was located on the ice at the center of the rink. Shear chaos with everyone jumping over the "boards". So my buddy and I went for it - almost.

A cop cracked me in the hams and that changed my mind. First time I was ever hit by a Billy club. FKNA

When the band left a girl caught by the bus door and was dragged - almost got killed! 1964

Troy Troy oh boy.

Anyway, back to the skis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe one or two other old farts here who worked in ski schools or race teams would remember "Star Test"? It was a venture NASTAR attempted to launch and a similar concept. You go out and ski with an L3 for an hour where they put you through various drills to assess your overall skill level. Think it was like between 1 and 100 but I honestly don't remember how the actual ratings worked. It failed miserably only attempted for about half a season.

(I think it was L3 for starters but they were going to train and pay the other instructors and resort NASTAR employees to assess as well)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was there! Whad ya say
What’s that ?I couldn’t hear you… Oh the Clash, ! Loud. The acoustics in the field house were let’s say…nonexistent :roflmao: That said, when Springsteen threw in a last minute date at the field house on the Darkness tour , I don’t remember it being so bad. Apologize for the thread drift everyone but this our youth we’re talking about:D

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe one or two other old farts here who worked in ski schools or race teams would remember "Star Test"? It was a venture NASTAR attempted to launch and a similar concept. You go out and ski with an L3 for an hour where they put you through various drills to assess your overall skill level. Think it was like between 1 and 100 but I honestly don't remember how the actual ratings worked. It failed miserably only attempted for about half a season.

(I think it was L3 for starters but they were going to train and pay the other instructors and resort NASTAR employees to assess as well)
That rings a faint ( early 70’s?) bell. ( does that make me a semi-old fart?-I was 9-10 then) :D