• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oak mites? Oak mites!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ewwwww... I went into the bush yesterday for about 5 mins and got 10 mosquito bites..at least you can see those fuggers. Mites...ick...

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
These things swell up to the size of blackfly bites...not as painful but fz8ck.

We're told they're expected all through leaf-fall. On our oaks that's like ~ March 2022.

I'm going gravel flannel jersey shopping. And maybe a third boiler suit.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Just another fun-loving little prank by our local? gods of pestilence.

1628176955849.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ewwwww... I went into the bush yesterday for about 5 mins and got 10 mosquito bites..at least you can see those fuggers. Mites...ick...

Ride -- ahem -- FASTER! ;)

There is a ride in Oregon around Waldo Lake. An astounding 20 mile loop of old school, sometime rugged, always beautiful, pure singletrack.

I've done it twice with friends before Labor Day. The mosquitoes are so bad, that you never stop, and everybody agrees that if you flat, we'll see you back at the TH.

After about mid-September you couldn't find a mosquito to save your life.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tons of rain here in Maine in June but I learned about a new thing- brown moths which were plentiful then - their wings emit an allergen. Everyone who worked outside was covered in a rash in June. New one for me. Bats, which have been absent for the last 10 years or so are making a slow comeback which is always helpful in controlling mosquitoes.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ride -- ahem -- FASTER! ;)

Oak mites don't care about speed. They are tiny - think like chiggers only much smaller - and they fit through the pores of most clothing. DEET doesn't faze them, either.

I ride with some semblance of speed and when I'm in an area heavy with oak trees I'll return with welts, even if I'm averaging over 20mph as I ride. The problem this year is due to the Brood X cicadas: they split the branches on oak trees to lay their eggs and in doing so gave the mites more freedom to explore.

I've found that taking an Allegra™ helps soften the itch of the welts these buggers leave behind. Diphenhydramine (a.k.a. Benadryl™) also helps but its drowsiness side-effect is not welcome.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They are tiny - think like chiggers only much smaller - and they fit through the pores of most clothing. DEET doesn't faze them, either.

Just to give people an idea - they are smaller than the ashes of your wood fire. Easily small enough and light enough to fly wherever the wind blows them.

Staying on the pavement doesn't help - unless it's downtown-level urban. I'm kinda surprised I haven't inhaled a few by now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look guys, my "ride faster" quip to Scott was totally sarcastic.

So I'm sticking with it, facts be damned! :geek:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Look guys, my "ride faster" quip to Scott was totally sarcastic.

So I'm sticking with it, facts be damned! :geek:
Ha! It's totally legit and I assumed you meant mosquitoes!! :ogbiggrin: Even worse is the damn deer flies, biting my ass off... 11km/h just ain't cutting it!!! I'm in deep scat if a bear finds me on an uphill.... :roflmao:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have never heard of oak mites and we have huge oak trees in our yard. Must not have them in this part of the country.

Lucky.

I had not heard of these things before this season either. Peculiar, 'coz the last two cicada broods were just as big.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lucky.

I had not heard of these things before this season either. Peculiar, 'coz the last two cicada broods were just as big.

Given you don't have big cicada broods in the PNW, @Jwrags, it's not surprising that you don't have the oak mite issues.

I'm guessing it's the sheer size of Brood X - possibly combined with the warmer overall temperatures of this summer - that is making the oak mite issue such a big one in the Mid Atlantic.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I each have 3 or 4 unexplained welts on our torsos. We thought they might be spider bites, but kind of weird that we'd both get them same week; i e, last week. We live in Wash DC area.

Sponsor

Staff online