• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oak mites? Oak mites!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My wife and I each have 3 or 4 unexplained welts on our torsos. We thought they might be spider bites, but kind of weird that we'd both get them same week; i e, last week. We live in Wash DC area.

The ones in bendy areas (knees, waist, hips) are the worst. Garh. I'm taking a swim week.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I each have 3 or 4 unexplained welts on our torsos. We thought they might be spider bites, but kind of weird that we'd both get them same week; i e, last week. We live in Wash DC area.

They're likely oak mites. They bite anywhere and everywhere. Clothing is not a deterrent, nor is insect repellent.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We do a lot of gardening and do our own yard work and have oaks on/near the property.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mighty mites. Spider mites in the garden obliterate things every Spring.
The last 5 or 6 years before my retirement, my main building developed a large population of nesting swallows on the exterior walls, and along with them came a building wide infestation of avian mites, with many chewed/bitten ankles including mine. I didn't want to aggressively go after the adults, and chemical treatment of the building was out of the question (vertebrate and invertebrate animal research lab) but my daily morning routine included knocking down all the new nests; Monday's were tough - may have broken an egg or 2. Did manage to get the mites under control, though.

Sponsor