• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obsolete Ski Models Better Than New?

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
With the release of the coming season’s ski reviews, we hear year after year how this year’s models surpass the performance of prior years models. I am sure there are many outliers where older models are superior or just plain missed…ala Head Monsters or metal Katanas. What models do you lament being put out to pasture?

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I‘s love to see Volkl resurrect the Gotama. My all time favorite ski and I really wish I kept my last one. Would be a stellar early and late season rock ski.

Reactions: BC.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm still in love with my 2015 Volk Kenjas. I've never tried the Kenja 88 (new one) but I know what they did to them so I'll hang onto my 2015s til they die. I did just pick up a pair of 2017 Kenjas because even with some churned changes they are still my volkls because they are pre 2020.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fisher Motive 95, replaced by the Pro Mountain. The Motive was a perfect blend (for me) of quick and nimble, yet stable in crud and decent at carving. One of the most fun skis I’d ever been on.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I prefer the 2016-2019 Völkl Kendo over the current Kendo 88
I also prefer the last version of the K2 Pinnacle 95 and 105 over the current Mindbender line.

All very personal of course.
I could agree with you on these two thoughts, but then we both would be wrong. ;)

Yes the old Kedno and the new one ARE different skisbut IMHO, the addition of the 3D sidecut makes the new one significantly better, as it has done with every ski it has been added to.

As far as the Pinnacles? I would agree with you if you said the Pinnacles were better than any of the Rossi 7 series but the Mindbender? Again IMHO, the Mindbenders are becoming some of the reference skis in their respective 90/98/108 categories.

Agree to disagree?

Yes, there are a few skis from the 2000's that could be considered as good today as they were then, off the top of my head...
  • Kastle MX83,88,98
  • Blossom Whiteout and all of it's 124/77/110 variations
  • Early Nordica Enforcers
  • Volant Spatula
  • Head Monster vatiation
  • Blizzard Magnum 8.7

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem for me in trying to answer the initial question: I'm no where near the same skier I was back then e.g. loved several skis in the 85 - 120 range, but wouldn't (couldn't?) go near them now. Skiers change, specific ski models stay the same. I still have wonderful memories of those older skis, but that's it - you can never go home againogwink

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will add, you might want to keep some of these rose colored memories in your head, many times I have gone back and skied older skis that I loved and thought "It can't get any better than this..." only to think, after skiing them again, "How did I ever ski let alone like these planks..."

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Monsters come to mind.

Also I really liked Blizzard the One but never really replaced them with something better. Subsequent blizzi skis were very different. I flirted with the rustlers but they didn't speak to me and my priorities changed when I moved from Beaver Mt to Snowbasin. A more charger oriented ski at 98 is what I am focused on now. I think the closest I got to the one now is a Solly QST 92. Bit it's a bit different ski.

TS
Chuck danache

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
I could agree with you on these two thoughts, but then we both would be wrong. ;)

Yes the old Kedno and the new one ARE different skisbut IMHO, the addition of the 3D sidecut makes the new one significantly better, as it has done with every ski it has been added to.

As far as the Pinnacles? I would agree with you if you said the Pinnacles were better than any of the Rossi 7 series but the Mindbender? Again IMHO, the Mindbenders are becoming some of the reference skis in their respective 90/98/108 categories.

Agree to disagree?

Yes, there are a few skis from the 2000's that could be considered as good today as they were then, off the top of my head...
  • Kästle MX83,88,98
  • Blossom Whiteout and all of it's 124/77/110 variations
  • Early Nordica Enforcers
  • Volant Spatula
  • Head Monster vatiation
  • Blizzard Magnum 8.7
What year Enforcers?

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Atomic Vantage 90 CTI's from 2018 that I love. This was the last year before a redesign significantly changed the ski. I never skied the newer model but most reviewers seemed to like the original better. The edges were pretty thin when new and mine are nearing the end. For those who are familiar with this ski what would be a good replacement?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Nordica Navigator 90s.

Simply a great all round ski. For me, they share some characteristics found in K2's old AMP Rictor 82XTi: reliable, forgiving, good at speed, good carvers & not a lot of work to tap the performance. Great on groomers, pretty good in crud & still fun in under 2ft of powder. Real easy to ski yet you can dial things up & they are up for it.

I'll label skis like this "Golden Retriever" skis: just reliably fun and always willing to play no matter what the conditions are or what your energy level is (or isn't) that day.

Nordica dropped the 90 from the Navigator series at least a couple years ago. Sure wish they hadn't.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm still in love with my 2015 Volk Kenjas. I've never tried the Kenja 88 (new one) but I know what they did to them so I'll hang onto my 2015s til they die. I did just pick up a pair of 2017 Kenjas because even with some churned changes they are still my Völkls because they are pre 2020.
I can't get my wife off her 2015 Kenjas - must be a good ski for her.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think the switch from the Head Monster and Flight series to the Head Kore series was probably the biggest switch in ski characteristics that any company has ever done. “Heaviest to lightest” in class and “best to worst” in class in suspension in one season is quite a feat!

Sales went through the roof on the newer, lighter Kores as their skis were no longer just loved by a smaller niche market.

Similar thing happening this year with 2021 Faction Candide skis that were much heavier than previous seasons versions. Chargers like myself love them but many park/freestyle skiers liked the previous, lighter versions more so they are going back to lighter builds for 2022. Great deals to be had on the 2021 versions so I’m stocking up!

Sponsor

Staff online